• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BYOW - Who is in - Who is Out

mkjr

I though this would be of assistance (another’s idea) to post who is in and who is out for BYOW to assist with our dining choices (as I intend try to go to as many "wine friendly" places as I can). So far as I am aware:

In: Susur, Centro, Rain, Scaramouche, Le Select, the Keg, Mammina's, Jamie Kennedy's, and Bekta. :biggrin:

Soon: Crush (applied - just found out). :biggrin:

Undecided: Canoe, Jump, and Biff's (I hear they are on the fence right now).

Out: Terroni and Opus.

Please feel free to add as you know or find out.

officially left egullet....

Can't add to the list but just curious: I've eaten at many BYOW in Montreal and can't remember ever seeing a corkage charge on the bill, certainly not the hefty charges I've seen projected for the opting in TO restaurants. Was I having such a good time in Montreal that I just didn't notice the charges?

I believe that some of the places will only allow BYOW if it is not on their list. It may be worth calling specific places before attending with a bottle.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I believe that some of the places will only allow BYOW if it is not on their list.  It may be worth calling specific places before attending with a bottle.

Very good point. Note this information if you can as this is not a "wine friendly" policy, particularly if you can buy "X Wine" at the LCBO for $40 dollars and the same is on the wine menu is $100 (or more likely 120) and they will not let you BYO.

Note I have confirmed that Crush is just waiting for the green light with their application. I love this place and with BYOW I will go much more regularly (and be glad to share with the staff). Cheers.

"Life is too short to drink cheap wine."

Can't add to the list but just curious: I've eaten at many BYOW in Montreal and can't remember ever seeing a corkage charge on the bill, certainly not the hefty charges I've seen projected for the opting in TO restaurants. Was I having such a good time in Montreal that I just didn't notice the charges?

It is my understanding that places that permit BYO in Montreal are not allowed to sell (including charge corkage) and places with licences are not allowed to BYO. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It is my understanding that places that permit BYO in Montreal are not allowed to sell (including charge corkage) and places with licences are not allowed to BYO.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, I think that is correct. It appears as if the LLBO is only concerned with licensed premises. A local 'good eats' without a license cannot have BYOW, unlike in P.Q.

Our government certainly takes us up the high road, price wise!

It is my understanding that places that permit BYO in Montreal are not allowed to sell (including charge corkage) and places with licences are not allowed to BYO.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, I think that is correct. It appears as if the LLBO is only concerned with licensed premises. A local 'good eats' without a license cannot have BYOW, unlike in P.Q.

Our government certainly takes us up the high road, price wise!

The issue here is 'responsibility'. All licensed premises must have 'trained' servers (usally Smartserve), but there is no such requirement for unlicensed premises. The server is (or should be) trained to ensure that patrons aren't impaired when being served alcohol.

As both a pedestrian and driver I think that the safety angle is very important. And for the same reason, the move to allow recorking of bottles (both BYOW and from the restaurant) which was introduced in parallel is also to be applauded.

Any new people signed up? I may have to go to the Keg to try out the 14.95 per bottle BYO. I have some Turley Hayne or some Harlan Estate Cab that I think would go very well with any steak (much to the chagrin of some out there I am sure).

• 2 weeks later...

On the not-so-upscale end of things, Kubo Radio is BYOW, at $20/bottle.

Their in-house prices are are $28/$33/$40, and the selections are not available at the LCBO, as far as I can tell.

It's a fun atmosphere and the service is very friendly. It would be lovely if they got their act together on the food, though. Avoid the shoe-leather Jungle Curry.

Edited by SarahB (log)

• 1 month later...

I heard that Rain was BYOW on the news today and noted few have taken part. I thought people were to post a sign or something and advertise this? I know that each year Wine Spectator’s restaurant survey notes BYOW restaurants, so this may help get the word out but only for those who have a level of their awards.

I have just been calling before I go everywhere. Any others out there as there are supposed to be about 500 who have applied.

I have been to Jamie Kennedy's and confirm they are BYOW. Great experience and food was great along with the staff. Will go back again this weekend (I would not have gone back so soon but for the BYOW (and it is close to home)). Always nice to take a bottle out of the cellar that I have been looking at for some time.

Not sure if Crush is “public” about theirs yet but I am pretty sure they have the endorsement they just have not yet admitted it last I checked.