• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat near Exmoor National Park?

My girlfriend and I are spending next weekend at a country inn in Porlock Vale, near the Somerset/Devon border.

Being very new to England I had to consult a map to even get a rough idea of where that is. Needless to say, I have no idea what the restaurant options are around there.

We're hoping to have a nice dinner Saturday night. If there is a brilliant, 3*-type restaurant in the area that would be great -- but otherwise recommendations for not-as-fancy but very good food would be equally appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris

If I was still running a small place in a former life in Porlock, you could have dined with me.

Consequently I remember lots of out-of-date places....

But if newer recommendations aren't forthcoming, The Rising Sun in Lynmouth was always a good bet....but I think it changed hands.....

And I really enjoyed 'Bishops' in Lynton a couple of times. How memories fade!

Actually, I will email an old mate and find out.....

The walking on Exmoor is absolutely fantastic. I am slightly green.

How helpful is this, really?

The walking won't have changed though. :smile:

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

My girlfriend and I are spending next weekend at a country inn in Porlock Vale, near the Somerset/Devon border....

I cycle up the Exe Valley and over Exmoor fairly frequently, but we usually carry provisions or stop at teahouses or pubs, of which you'll find plenty. We rode the tandem over the moor to Lynton a few years ago and spent the night at the Rising Sun - I agree with Slacker - it's a very nice, atmospheric harbourside inn. Can't remember the meal was anything to write home about. In fact, about all I do remember was the wretched 1:4 climb back out of town the next morning, definitely not the best start to the day...

I know there are some good country house inns and restaurants dotted here and there, but unless one is near by, I'd forget about 3-star food and go for atmosphere, find a good thatched pub in the middle of nowhere, settle in for some local beer and simple hearty pub fare. Dulverton is an atmospheric little town at the foot of the moor. Lots of good teahouses. There used to be a half-decent pub in Simonsbath (on the right, descending down to the little stream). Dunster is another little town worth visiting (not too far from Porlock). I remember another good pub in Winsford, incredible beer.

Sorry, my post is about as precise and helpful as Slacker's: these are places I usually pass through on my bicycle rather than head to as a destination in themselves. As Slacker says, the countryside is absolutely stunning, so don't discount putting together a really great picnic to enjoy in the fresh air (possibly very fresh at this time of year).

Have fun, let us know what you find.

Marc

PS If you have time, don't miss the Valley of the Rocks, an extraordinary stretch of wild, majestic coastline just west of Lynmouth that plunges up and down along a tiny private toll road. There's a good pub along here called, I think, The Hunter's Inn (in fact the tiny hamlet is called Hunter's Inn). I remember it vividly: the road down to it was so savagely steep that the rim of my wheel overheated from braking and my inner tube exploded! A good excuse to cool down with a pint.

Thanks for the suggestions.

A little research turned up these two restaurants. Anyone tried either?

Andrews on the Weir, Porlock Vale [we are staying nearby]

Castle Hotel

Both have 3 rosettes from AA -- but I have no idea if AA is reliable ...

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for the suggestions.

A little research turned up these two restaurants.  Anyone tried either?

Andrews on the Weir, Porlock Vale [we are staying nearby]

Castle Hotel

Both have 3 rosettes from AA -- but I have no idea if AA is reliable ...

Cheers,

Chris

1 star does not equal 3 rosettes, but 3 rosettes are better than 2.

Have a good time. When in Rome, eat at 3 rosette establishments.

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

I ate at Andrews on the Weir and it was pretty good with very ample portions. That said it was probably two years ago now so it could have changed (better or worse).

Are you staying at the Porlock Vale Hotel? I go there regularly (for riding) and the food is good there too.

The Castle Hotel, Taunton is one of the better places to eat in Somerset, though it's not to everyone's taste. Jan Moir slagged it off unmerciifully in the Telegraph last year. But I've eaten there two or three times a year for the last fifteen years and only had a couple of disappointments.

It's most famous as the launchpad for Gary Rhodes' career. He was replaced by Phil Vickery who was in turn, after an acrimonious parting with the proprietor Kit Chapman, succeded by the current chef Richard Guest. He continues the "modern British" theme established by Rhodes. The food is excellent, immaculately presented, and makes good use of locally supplied ingredients.

The restaurant itself is rather old-fashioned, with starched white linen, gleaming glasses and cutlery, and inoffensive decor. The service is good - "posh but friendly" would be my summation. Some folks have found it stuffy, but, heck, it's a fairly dear restaurant in an old market town in the south west. It's going to be full of retired colonels, well-off widows, and businessmen on expenses. You're unlikely to find the black-clad Hoxton crowd down here in Zummerzet.

They do a set lunch (all week) and dinner (Mon-Thur) at £25 for 3 courses, including a glass of wine, which is good value. Of course, by the time you've added on the G&Ts, more wine and coffee, you end up paying somewhat more. There's also an a la carte, which will probably end up at about £40+ for 3 courses. The wine list is long, good, but not cheap.

I like it.

- Tony -

• 3 weeks later...

We had a wonderful time in Porlock ... but struck out on the food hunt.

Staying at the Porlock Vale house, the breakfasts were wonderful -- all fresh, local ingredients with extraordinarily good coffee.

But our one "fancy" meal out was a disaster -- Andrews on the Weir. The food was mediocre throughout; the service was trying for 2-star michelin but managed something closer to NY diner-style service. (I stopped counting major faults of service once the count hit 10.) And the room is really quite tacky -- e.g., chair legs spray-painted in gilt.

I think next time we're sticking to good local pubs.

Chris

• 4 years later...

I'm going to show my woeful lack of geography now- but what about The Masons Arms in Knowstone? It's in Exmoor, and we loved it.

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp