• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Okay, next question: Who sells...

Who sells the lowest priced vanilla beans?

I checked at my local gas station and they were out. :laugh:

What prices are you paying for this these days, and where?

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

If you can do mail order, there's a good thread over on Pastry & Baking right now:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=60452

If you need to buy locally, one suggestion is Trader Joe's. It's been a while, so I can't remember prices.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Locally, the best price I've found is at Whole Foods' bulk section. QFC also sells them in the bulk sections of some of the nicer stores (UVillage, etc) but they're not as fresh. Sorry I don't have the exact price, but I was making a huge batch of vanilla bean cream cheese icing a while back, and I priced them for a week everywhere I went before buying 4 beans!

Sounds like the mail-order price is soopa, if you can wait.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Grab the next flight to French Polynesia, Mr Toast can give you some directions on the vanilla plantations once you land!

Being on his honeymoon, Mr. Toast was focusing on items other than vanilla beans while in Tahiti last year. At the end of the trip Ms. Toast collected all our remaining foreign currency and spent it on vanilla products (including fresh beans) in the airport. Very nice, indeed.

Grab the next flight to French Polynesia, Mr Toast can give you some directions on the vanilla plantations once you land!

Being on his honeymoon, Mr. Toast was focusing on items other than vanilla beans while in Tahiti last year. At the end of the trip Ms. Toast collected all our remaining foreign currency and spent it on vanilla products (including fresh beans) in the airport. Very nice, indeed.

If price is no object but taste is, you might want to try Hawaiian vanilla beans. You can get them via mail order (http://www.hawaiianvanilla.com/flavor.htm), $9.00 for a single bean and 3 beans for $25.00. These beans are grown on the Big Island of Hawai'i, along with Hawaiian Vintage Chocolate.

Miulang