• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Alexander the Great Greek

jscarbor

After a long haitus from ATGG I decided to take my wife there for some greek food. She hasn't been and most of my experiences have been at lunch. I have always thought the cabrito they serve here to be a fine dish, in fact I think its one of houstons best dishes. I have also had the snapper dish at lunch and it is always great. Its a sauteed filet in a olive oil, lemon, garlic, oregeno sauce. After a semi bad experince in which we never ate I thought I would never get to go with my wife and dine here because of that experience. After some prodding she finally decided to give it a try. And boy, is she glad she did. Tonight we started with sauteed calamari in a butter sauce, and the calamari was some of the best in houston. Why people get this fish fried all the time I don't know? They are missing out. Then I had the chicken soup with orzo and finished off with some egg in order to thicken. Its a really tasty soup. Then we shared the evenings special. It was a whole grilled fish (branzini I think) with vegatables. The fish was exquisite! Perfectly grilled fish with no seasonings except the fire, olive oil, oregano and lemon. If you like whole fish presentation then this was great. At the top was the head with perfectly clear eyes and the mouth was filled with 2 very nice shrimp then a butterflied filet midsection followed by the tail. The side vegies were perfectly cooked and would be wonderful on their own.

Now the prices here can get steep but I honestly think you are getting some of the best, most honest ingredients around. Are fish dish was $40 but it was for 2. they have a rack of Lamb that is in the $35 range and it is supposed to be excellent. I would imagine that it is enough for 2 people. The aforementioned cabrito is in the low $20 range but I think its in the $12-15 range at lunch.

Di I mention live grek music? and when it is crowded it can get really fun. Go to ATGG and enjoy the best greek in Houston. And this is coming from a Mykynos fan.

. . . . .

Go to ATGG and enjoy the best greek in Houston. And this is coming from a Mykynos fan.

You just said the magic words. (I love Mykonos.) Did you happen to notice the appetizers? This is the kind of food that with a certain group of friends, we like to order a bunch of appetizers and pass them around.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

. . . . .

Go to ATGG and enjoy the best greek in Houston. And this is coming from a Mykynos fan.

You just said the magic words. (I love Mykonos.) Did you happen to notice the appetizers? This is the kind of food that with a certain group of friends, we like to order a bunch of appetizers and pass them around.

You can view them here http://www.alexanderthegreatgreek.com/111741.html

Thanks for the link. I googled and somehow missed it. I love it when a restaurant site has the menu, including prices. Opa!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Greek for me in Houston always means Niko Niko's. This sounds like a whole different experience though, less casual. Thanks to this review, I will have to give it a try if only to check out the fish with shrimp in it's mouth. Both this and the calamari are wonderful preparations you will never find at the casual, but always good Niko Niko's.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I actually ate at Niko's earlier this week and yes it is very different. Niko's is a great casual place and actually offers good seafood, but ATGG is sophisticated and worthy of a nice night out. I might even pick it over say Marks as a dining destination? The fish dish I had last night was a special. The owner, Yanni, takes pride in getting Mediterranean fish flown in for his restaurant. So whatever the fish special is get it if you are a big fish person. He also has fresh snapper but I'm here to tell you that snapper can be found anywhere so go with the special.

If you folks decide to go to ATGG please tell Yanni that John Scarborough sent you. He'll be glad to hear that and will treat you very well.

Greek for me in Houston always means Niko Niko's. This sounds like a whole different experience though, less casual. Thanks to this review, I will have to give it a try if only to check out the fish with shrimp in it's mouth. Both this and the calamari are wonderful preparations you will never find at the casual, but always good Niko Niko's.

Elie

• 1 year later...

*bump*

We had dinner at Alexanders' last Saturday, and it was really nice. No apps, but Steve had the chicken and lemon soup and he just loved it. I wasn't feeling adventuresome, and just had the salad, which was very nice, with seemingly homemade dressing. I chose the 'sampler platter' because I couldn't decide and he got the rib-eye. Doesn't seem very Greek, but he thought it was terrific. The platter I got had spanikopita, moussaka, pasticio(sp), a big potato wedge, and a couple of other items which I can't spell. The waitress was very sweet and recommended a nice red from their short but all Greek wine list. Another lady came by ( I assume she was the owner/wife) and checked on us as well. I love this place for terrific food in a nice, but not over-the-top atmosphere or price range.

Stop Family Violence

We had dinner there a few weeks ago and the food was incredible. Atmosphere was very strip-mall and plain. That is, until 8:00 when the music and dancing started. At that point, the whole experience became surreal -- authentic food, fun music, dancing and everything you expect from an evening out. Couldn't get much better, strip mall or otherwise.