• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tender Memories of Archibald's

iamthestretch

I picture myself with bone in one hand, bottle in the other.

That certainly does reflect one popular vision of manhood, gustatory or otherwise!

Reminds me a lot of that place Archbishop's or whatever it's called over on K Street...

Edited by morela (log)

That certainly does reflect one popular vision of manhood, gustatory or otherwise!

Reminds me a lot of that place Archbishop's or whatever it's called over on K Street...

Archibald's, K street between 15th & 16th, south side of the street, middle of the block.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

Archibald's? Incredible. My roomate and best friend....in 1971...was the night manager there. Many was the night he would bring an employee (s) home to discuss business.

I can't imagine what some of his former employees look like today. Or him for that matter.

Or me!

Spring 1980. My best friend and I on a quest to find the perfect dancer for his bachelors party. An era in which ecdesiastical talent was thin in Washington. After an expensive and uninspiring search, we stumbled into Archibald's. Jackpot. We knew whe was the one before we even sat down.

Weeks later, at the party in the narrow rowhouse basement we shared, even the police who'd wandered into the bash were won over. "Just turn the music down and stay off the porch," the white one winked. "And for Chrissake, lock your front door."

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Archibald's, K street between 15th & 16th, south side of the street, middle of the block.

That place has been there for years. It was there when I moved here in 1976. The upstairs and downstairs keep changing names. Archibald's is street level.

Mark

That place has been there for years. It was there when I moved here in 1976. The upstairs and downstairs keep changing names. Archibald's is street level.

I seem to remember, years ago, my friends and I heading to the Comedy club on the upper level. We erroneously entered on the street level. Needless to say our entertainment was not "stand-up" comedy but stand-up dancing!!!

Edited by Minister of Drink (log)

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

I'm just jolly proud to be immortalized as the unwitting starter of this edifying thread. Are you being paid to assassinate my character, Rocks?

Stretch, you don't need any help from Rocks. Just keep on being yourself.

On another note, there has been no confirmation that Archibald's is still in business. Does eGullet need to send a delegation for confirmation that the 'burgers' are as good as they used to be.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

I'm just jolly proud to be immortalized as the unwitting starter of this edifying thread. Are you being paid to assassinate my character, Rocks?

On another note, there has been no confirmation that Archibald's is still in business. Does eGullet need to send a delegation for confirmation that the 'burgers' are as good as they used to be.

Ask Lola. :raz:

Mark

Spring 1980.  My best friend and I on a quest to find the perfect dancer for his bachelors party.  An era in which ecdesiastical talent was thin in Washington.  After an expensive and uninspiring search, we stumbled into Archibald's.  Jackpot.  We knew whe was the one before we even sat down.

Weeks later, at the party in the narrow rowhouse basement we shared, even the police who'd wandered into the bash were won over.  "Just turn the music down and stay off the porch," the white one winked.  "And for Chrissake, lock your front door."

Busboy gets my vote for eGullet DC Delmarva social director. :wink:

On another note, there has been no confirmation that Archibald's is still in business.  Does eGullet need to send a delegation for confirmation that the 'burgers' are as good as they used to be.

Sounds like this should go right on the eGullet Calendar. I'd be willing to write a dissertation complete with pictures. Not sure it would be furthering the mission though.

I do remember a while back there was a fairly interesting thread on strip club food and Sietsema occasionally gets asked for the best place to eat at a strip club.. This could fill a niche.

Bill Russell

Not to change the subject, just the venue. I work around the corner from Camelot. You have GOT to see the cars these girls drive !!! I wonder how many lap dances it takes to cover the monthly payment on a pimped out Cadillac Escalade.

It's a slow day here.

Just watch out for the tuna club special!!!!!

If anyone is up for such an outing (egullet sanctioned of course, complete with guest list, photos published on egullet, and of course a pitch to support the Egullet SocietyFor Culinary Arts and Letters) we could organize something. Perhaps one food item at each place?

My little secret is called Royal Palace. Much more organic cuisine than what is served at Camelot. Camelot certainly uses growth-enhaced meats in its burgers.

Don, I am hopping any donations to Egullet we raise can be paid in one dollar bills?

:raz::raz::raz:

My little secret is called Royal Palace.  Much more organic cuisine than what is served at Camelot. 

Everything they serve there is over-cooked, over-sauced, and not so fresh.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.