• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen tools you wish you had

Gary

I've always wanted a chocolate temperer for my home chocolate work. I've even thought about a guitar cutter for pates de fruit (and marshmallows). These devices seem to be priced way out of my range. Any tips on finding cheap (used) versions of these? Are there any other neat-o gadgets which are only found in the pro-kitchens?

I've always wanted a chocolate temperer for my home chocolate work.  I've even thought about a guitar cutter for pates de fruit (and marshmallows).  These devices seem to be priced way out of my range.  Any tips on finding cheap (used) versions of these?  Are there any other neat-o gadgets which are only found in the pro-kitchens?

One of those 3000 degree wok burners.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

a waffle iron for belguin waffles

a crepe pan

a food saver

a real double boiler

a potato ricer

one of those new betty crocker cake pans they have been advertising on tv (i forget what its called but sure would come in handy for some fancier cakes..even ice cream cake or baked alaska.... :laugh: )

im sure there r some other things but id have to think on it ahwile

a recipe is merely a suggestion

I got a chocolate temperer and a self contained ice cream maker, both for CHEAP (and brand new in-the-box) off of eBay. It took a little patience, but after carefully watching auctions for

about 6 months, I saw some good offers and jumped on 'em!

I love eBay.

Oh yeah do I have a wish list......a professional tempering machine (no counter top cheapie models), a paco jet, a guitar, about everything PCB sells, every silcone mat, mold and form out there, at least a zillion more baking books, tons of isomalt and equipment for pulling sugar, a top of the line air brush, etc... oh I forgot I have a very long list of chocolate molds I'd like.

Gary your two expensive wishes are the same as mine. I'd also love to have a tempering machine and guitar cutter. On the less expensive list are cake rings.

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

I'd definitely love a 30-quart mixer, a commercial-grade deep fat fryer, a self-refrigerated ice cream maker and as long as we're dreaming here, I'll take the deli slicer too. :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I really don't know why, considering I under-use the mixer I have, but I really want a Hobart... a big one... something I can use to crank out 100lbs+ of dough at a time.

I often have vivid dreams wherein I wake up Christmas morning and a brand-new Hobart is sitting under the tree. Then Jacques Pepin and Jacques Torres walk in, alongside a troupe of midgets doing cartwheels, and we all proceed to make cakes and dance.

What a great thread idea!

My wish: a steam injection oven and maybe an indoor brick oven that was easy to clean...

Linda

-------------------

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it."

--- Henry David Thoreau

What a great thread idea!

My wish: a steam injection oven and maybe an indoor brick oven that was easy to clean...

Oh man, definately the steam oven. I'd need a proofing oven thing as well... Otherwise, I'd be happy with the waring pro deep fryer and an ice cream machine.

In case Santa happens to be taking notes, a nice ice cream machine would be good. And I really need a newespresso maker.

Actually, what I really need is a new kitchen to hold all the stuff I want.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I've even thought about a guitar cutter for pates de fruit.  Any tips on finding cheap (used) versions of these? 

Ditto on the guitar cutter. That's on my list too.

When I first got into this business I wanted a good scale at home since all my recipes were by weight. I went to a restaurant supply store that sells both new and used equipment and told them what I was looking for. He took down my name and number and said he'd call me if he ever got a used one. They called in a few weeks ...the scale was in top condition and they calibrated all the weights for me too. Got it for less than half the price of a new one.

I want a candy pan for my Kitchen Aid

Not sure what I would do with it, but I know that it would be fun! Whatever it was. :laugh:

Damn. Now I need one of those. Not that I have any idea what I'd do with it, or for that matter why they are charging $569 for two mixing bowls welded together with a hole cut out...

See? A strangely alluring attachement. We could be candy barons! We could coat stuff with other stuff. And then coat that stuff with some more stuff. I know! We could make everlasting gobstoppers! Those things always looked like they would be delicious.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

See? A strangely alluring attachement. We could be candy barons! We could coat stuff with other stuff. And then coat that stuff with some more stuff. I know! We could make everlasting gobstoppers! Those things always looked like they would be delicious.

Candy coated bits of pastrami - what could be better? I seriously need one of these things. We'll build a chocolate covered smoked meat empire!

Pacojet

Pacojet

Pacojet

Pacojet

pacojet

Pacojet

Pacojet

Pacojet

Also some high quality marble tables for confection work.

All silicone molds and custom designs

Silicone molds making materials (more professional, no homemade)

Ice carving equipment

Any kind of produce at any time for reasonable cost

Better china for plate appearance

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Yesterday I didn't know what a Pacojet was. Today I want one. Thanks eGullet for creating another potential dent in my credit card bill. :wink:

In my chocolate temperer quest I've seen a wide range of products from Chocovision and ACMC and Matfer Bourgeat.

Chocovision and ACMC have built-in stirrers. The Matfer is just a heated bowl and the cook provides the stirring. Can it be used as a tempering machine?