• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things to do in Slovenia

My only time in the "Jewel of the Alps" has been having my passport examined to and from Croatia, so some buddies of mine and I are planning a trip there for a few days. Any particularly good suggestions as to places to eat/drink/be merry in ljubljana or Bled?

Fancy food is not really what I am looking for, rather a good authentic slice of Slovenia would be welcome.

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

My only time in the "Jewel of the Alps" has been having my passport examined to and from Croatia, so some buddies of mine and I are planning a trip there for a few days.  Any particularly good suggestions as to places to eat/drink/be merry in ljubljana or Bled?

Fancy food is not really what I am looking for, rather a good authentic slice of Slovenia would be welcome.

When are you going, and for how long? Where are you staying?

Houseberg and I were in Slovenia in 2003 and had a great time.

We had some wonderful authentic Slovenian meals at the hotel we stayed in for two nights, but it is not located in the city -- Kendov Dvorec (www.kendov-dvorec.com). The staff there even arranged for us to visit with local winemakers at their homes nearby; Slovenian wines are wonderful so if you have the time, you should take a side trip and go wine-tasting!

I'd have to try to dig up my notes to find the specific restaurants we went to but we ate some delicious fried tiny fish at the Ljubljana farmers' market and some amazing fruits (it was cherry season). Also be sure to try the gibanica for dessert if you've never had it before (pastry with poppy seeds and other good stuff)!

Ljubljana has great borek stands run by Kosovars and Macedonians. There is nothing better for breakfast than borek and yogurt.

I go to Slovenia every now and then for the trout fishing - the best in Europe, really - and I love the place because it has so many distinct regions, each with its own cuisine. Unfortunately, Bled is in the alpine region: Alpine food is not a favorite of mine. Lots of mushroom soup and cheese spreads... ho hum. In Kanal nad Soca there is a great restaurant serving northern Italian style grills. If you can get on down to the adriatic coast, in Isola or Piran, and eat fresh fish. Koper can be avoided.