• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Watering Holes

DameD

It's also the place where I almost broke my foot, before I had started drinking and the entire bar area turned around and laughed at me.

Okay Tricia, where haven't you almost broken your foot?? :raz:

I'm a Burnaby boy, so The Mountain Shadows was always a fave. We also used to go to Delaney's on Kingsway before it became the local biker hangout.

Today? I'm with Coop. Although I could be convinced to return to the Heather.

A.

I used to go to the Drake and No.5. Can't say much about the food or beer. Very cutting edge entertainment though.

Still laughing at this one... for me it used to be the Cobalt or the Marr, after I was unjustly bounced from the Drake sometime in the mid-80's. They all had the same cutting edge entertainment back in those days, and they never ID'ed me. I wouldn't dream about eating *anything* in any of those places. After that I changed to a different chemical and began destroying brain cells into the wee hours at places like the Gandydancer. Wouldn't dream about eating anything there, either. :wink:

My tastes have changed somewhat. I've been back in town since December and these days I find myself frequenting the Irish Heather (friendly, fine beer), the Lennox (central location, nicely mixed crowd, and a drunk 19 yr old American sorority girl tried to pick me up there last weekend) and the bar at HSG (good people, stocks my fave obscure brand of gin, and there's always a seat at the bar). And - I know this isn't a favorite of many of the local eG crew - if I'm in the neighbourhood, the bar at Feenie's. I like their menu, and I've been 'looked after' very well there on occasion.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

it got me thinking what other great pubs in the city are there, not bars, but real pubs, where you can order a good drink, good pub fare and it is such a comfortable place that you can stay there hours, either with your friends or on your own.
I love the raven, I think it is one of the best pubs in the lower mainland, it has great chow and service, the beer selection is awesome.

After a day of biking it serves up right.

The Raven Neighbourhood Pub

604-929-3834

1060 Deep Cove Rd

Deep Cove

I used to go when I would take the train to go skiing in Whistler; it also has good pub food, old Vancouver style pub.

Pemberton Station Pub

604-984-3558

135 Pemberton Avenue

North Vancouver,

Black Bear Pub

1177 Lynn Valley Road

North Vancouver, BC

Been many times, on the road, it is a nice break from driving before going on the ferry.

The Troller Pub

(604) 921-7616

6422 Bay St

Horseshoe Bay

Lived in the neibourhood for ten years, been there many times

Jeremiah's Neighbourhood Pub

3681 West 4th Ave

Vancouver,

604- 734-1205

It is in an up and coming neigbourhood, it is a great place, do not let the location scare you, It is one of few licenses in that area. Good room with good chow and good service.

Cedar Cottage Neighbourhood Pub

3728 Clarke

604-876-1411

Vancouver, BC

steve

Edited by stovetop (log)
Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Coop we might have crossed paths during our Punk days, the Railway, luvAffair.. subeez all good stuff for late night.. I used to frequent to Niargra Hotel, they always had good shows and also the tree house lounge, beneath the St. Regis. SO MUCH FUN!!! SO MUCH Cheap bad beer!

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

I second the vote for the Raven - the best watering hole on the North Shore!

I also like a place called the Arms Reach Bistro which is just a little further down the road right in the Cove. The have individual wine lockers and will order in your favorite wine(s) (the owner's wife works for an importer) and keep it ready for you with a very minimal mark-up (they had 1999 Nota Bene for $45 a bottle recently). Nice glassware and a leather couch to hang out on -my idea of a perfect place after work.

As a side note - Andrew mentioned the Red Lion Pub in Dundarave. The ex-owner of the Park Royal Hotel, Mario, will soon be taking over the helm and welcoming his many generations of customers from the hotel pub that is being missed!

It's also the place where I almost broke my foot, before I had started drinking

Back when you were what, eleven? :raz::wink:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

My wife fell and broke her ankle requiring plates and screws in either side at some now defunct joint on Granville while dancing in what is now acknoledged as inappropriate footwear. Babalu perhaps? I was in San Diego at the time, and she was to meet me in Palm Springs. She wheeled herself out of hospital onto the plane two days after the surgery. She took what could in retrospect be considered an untimely smoke break while transfering flights in Seattle, missing her connecting flight. Her judgement was undoubtably clouded by the massive quantity of painkillers she was downing, or perhaps the ceasars she was using to enhance their effect and wash down the pills. She eventually got into LA at 2 AM, I drove to pick her up, two hours in either direction.

Sadly, this story isn't so far enough in the past yet to be funny. Because as we all know the only difference between tragedy and comedy is time. I'm certain we'll laugh it up at our fiftieth anniversary.

• 1 month later...

I found this thread in the "archives" ie last month and wanted add my thoughts. A little background: I used to LOVE the RAT, where many many Friday or Saturday evenings were pissed away. Someone mentioned the bar downstairs of the Georgia too, I think you're talking about the Cameleon - another favourite from back in the day... almost got arrested after a night there... memories. And Luvafair, where I shared the first slow dance with the girl I would eventually marry - to Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Although I've slowed down in my old age, here are the places I like, for the atmosphere moreso that the food - or price of drinks for that matter.

Frog & Firkin on Broadway - had some good nights there, including the night Brazil knocked the Brits outta the World Cup. I think Saturdays they have double highballs on for $5. Including Crown!

Granville Room - a little more yuppie because of its location but lots happening and a good place to people-watch. And I believe they have Smithwicks on tap - very good thing.

Doolin's - someone already mentioned it so I guess I'm seconding it. You meet the most interesting people in the smoke pit there.

Of course for live venues The Commodore is still king.

I'm still recovering from my newest favourite place to drink: Celebrities on cheap highball night (Tuesday). Funnest best dancing, especially if there's a Punk Rock Boy™ to dance with you :wink:

One of these days must try the Caprice 80s night (also Tuesday). Don't know if there are drinks specials though.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I used to really like the Railway Club but haven't been in years. 

Stamps is okay though they put their beer prices up about a year ago which was a bit much.

When I was paddling out of false creek, some of the team regularly ended up after a practice at either the Keg or Bridges.  I think we shut the places down on a few occasions  :biggrin:

Closer to home is Jeremiah's..... friendly staff and ususally something interesting on tap.

have to agree.. jerry's was a great place to hang out.. i've spent many a night there playing pool upstairs and swilling beer while doing so. strangely enough, the more beer i drank, the better my pool game got ;) the food was pretty good, same old pub fare but honestly, i went there for the company. you could always expect to find a lot of friends there, hanging out.

I used to really like the Railway Club but haven't been in years. 

Stamps is okay though they put their beer prices up about a year ago which was a bit much.

When I was paddling out of false creek, some of the team regularly ended up after a practice at either the Keg or Bridges.  I think we shut the places down on a few occasions  :biggrin:

Closer to home is Jeremiah's..... friendly staff and ususally something interesting on tap.

have to agree.. jerry's was a great place to hang out.. i've spent many a night there playing pool upstairs and swilling beer while doing so. strangely enough, the more beer i drank, the better my pool game got ;) the food was pretty good, same old pub fare but honestly, i went there for the company. you could always expect to find a lot of friends there, hanging out.

I was a Jerry's fanatic up until about a year ago. Great staff, and I enjoyed some of the best mussels I've had in a long time when they changed over their menu in 2003!

Fun place and you can always spot Mayor Larry there putting together a deal!

John

PS: Did you ever hang out downstairs by the end of the bar? That was my Norm spot for a long time!

JB

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

ok my new favourite old favourite place to drink is the marine club on a friday pm or any pm. just nice to be away from anything called or calling itself a lounge.

3Wc

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

I'm a trivia fiend, so love a place that has NTN.

Used to go to Stamp's when they had it, but they don't

anymore. Tend to haunt the Mountain Shadow these days

(they pay the winners on Thursday nights; yep, I've won).

Checkers on Davie and Denman also has it and is a fun

place to hang.

Also in Burnaby, the place that used to be called Inn on the

Green before a Whistler conglomerate bought it, at the

Burnaby Mtn. Golf Course (god I've got a bad memory!)

has a big deck that's fab on a sunny afternoon. The Hop & Vine

is good for free pool, although the atmosphere has changed

since it used to be the Stone's Throw.

The Foggy Dew on Lougheed and North Road also has

trivia but turns into a meat market at night. Long lineups

of beautiful babes waiting to get in. Good time if you're

into that kinda thing....

Don't do much dancing these days because I like old rock 'n'

roll (Beatles, Stones, J. Geills, etc.) and no clubs seem to

play these relics.

Well, if you're into trivia with your beer, then I would highly recommend The Cedar Cottage (Kingsway near Nanaimo? No, that's not right. It has been mentioned previously in this thread, though) Good place, and I love their CC Wings. Sooo big, sooo good, and sooo cheap.

But they've got a round of regulars who play that trivia nightly, it seems, so your competition may be a little tough. :raz:

Well, if you're into trivia with your beer, then I would highly recommend The Cedar Cottage (Kingsway near Nanaimo?  No, that's not right.  It has been mentioned previously in this thread, though)  Good place, and I love their CC Wings.  Sooo big, sooo good, and sooo cheap. 

But they've got a round of regulars who play that trivia nightly, it seems, so your competition may be a little tough.  :raz:

I googled it (just because I wanted to see the cute Irish get-up they've got goin' on today :biggrin: ) Cedar Cottage Neighbourhood Pub, 3728 Clark (at Kingsway)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown