• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Watering Holes

DameD

While I was just on the Irish HEather thread, it got me thinking what other great pubs in the city are there, not bars, but real pubs, where you can order a good drink, good pub fare and it is such a comfortable place that you can stay there hours, either with your friends or on your own. The Heather I think is one of the few out there, what are others favorites??

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

I used to go the Rose and Thorne quite frequently and was very sad when it shut down. Now, I did hear that it has reopened again, but haven't checked it out yet. Another one that I used to go to after work or for lunch was the Georgia Street Bar, again closed and hasn't reopened. They always had great jazz and if I was out of ideas for New Year's eve that was where we always ended up. I don't think I ever had a bad evening there. I miss that place :sad:

I used to really like going to the Railway Club - though the food was'nt anything special. Relatively civilized - though I think that I have aged past their normal demographic.

One of the first places I went to when I moved back from California was the Irish Heather. It was a rainy night and I sat the in the atrium in the back and had the delicous corned beef. There was an Irish quartet playing (practicing) - singing and fiddling - and I got to tell you - it was f-king magical. It was like I was in some movie.

It completely comfirmed why I love Vancouver and all the great places we have here. The experience would have been impossible in SF.

I used to go the Rose and Thorne quite frequently and was very sad when it shut down.  Now, I did hear that it has reopened again, but haven't checked it out yet.  Another one that I used to go to after work or for lunch was the Georgia Street Bar, again closed and hasn't reopened.  They always had great jazz and if I was out of ideas for New Year's eve that was where we always ended up.  I don't think I ever had a bad evening there.  I miss that place :sad:

I used to go the R.A.T, all the time too and also the Cambie, before it got all trendy and the couriers and treeplanters left.

Do you mean the Bar at the back of the Hotel Georgia, the leopard skin one??? That is great place to have a drink, i completely forgot about it.

DANIELLE

-Virginia Woolf

Sometimes I like dressing up in a blue neon spandex body suit (complete with hood and prosthetic mammary glands) and going to Skybar with my pink poodle and cell phone earmuffs.

Don't you dare judge me, people. :biggrin:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I used to go the Rose and Thorne quite frequently and was very sad when it shut down.  Now, I did hear that it has reopened again, but haven't checked it out yet.  Another one that I used to go to after work or for lunch was the Georgia Street Bar, again closed and hasn't reopened.  They always had great jazz and if I was out of ideas for New Year's eve that was where we always ended up.  I don't think I ever had a bad evening there.  I miss that place :sad:

I used to go the R.A.T, all the time too and also the Cambie, before it got all trendy and the couriers and treeplanters left.

Do you mean the Bar at the back of the Hotel Georgia, the leopard skin one??? That is great place to have a drink, i completely forgot about it.

No, it was the Georgia Street Bar and Grill, right on Georgie street and the main entrance of the hotel. The leopard skin one was/is downstairs from the main entrance. The Georgia closed about 3 years (maybe more) and was a great place to hang out after work.

:laugh:

I've been to Doolin's; food...meh; ambience good unless it's really really crowded (e.g., Friday or Saturday night). Lots of good whiskey in there though I tell you, and they have Guinness and whatnot on tap.

The Kingston (old RAT) is decidedly more yuppie now, but nice. I was there on a super-busy Friday, though, so I can't really say how it is on a normal day.

I used to like a drink at the Urban Well downtown; and I went to Crush once for a nice bottle of Cabernet, but these days I mostly drink at home (or the Commodore :hmmm:)

Andrew: I think I saw you at the Scissor Sisters!! :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

My watering is done post work so I can only relate to places "after midnight" performances.

The Keg on Granville Island , quiet lounge (after 11pm anyway) and full menu until 1 am on Friday/Saturday. Friendly staff, decent beers on tap, a solid 7 oz by the glass wine pour all add up to a waiter's post work paradise.

The Thurlow location is a little darker and louder so I prefer the solace of the Island. Also on Granville Island the Cat's Meow is an excellent summer watering hole, large patio, OK food and cheap beers - but the service is dodgy at best and last call is a bit of an arbitrary issue.

Used to do Fiction regularly but it's a bit out of the way for me now - the food was always good and beverage selections were excellent - might have to make a trip back soon.

The old Carnegie's used to be OK but I haven't been since it became..... Bogart's ?

Nod to Viola re: The Lennox - I've never eaten there but you can sit at the bar with Guinness in hand while waiting for the Late Night #15 then dash out the side door (having settled your tab of course) as the bus turns off Granville and hop on for the ride over the Cambie Street bridge, one of life's simpler pleasures for sure.

Edited by 2roost (log)

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

:laugh:

Andrew: I think I saw you at the Scissor Sisters!! :biggrin:

That is for sure, weren't you the headlining act!! :cool:

DANIELLE

-Virginia Woolf

When I lived in Vancouver we regularly went to two places - the Lennox (Robson & Granville, by the Burger King) & Stamps Landing in False Creek on the other side of the Cambie Street Bridge. The Lennox was on the way home (good old #15/17 bus) and Stamps was a nice walk. My Dad still hangs at the Lennox when he's in town. The food's not bad, and the selection of beer is quite reasonable. It can get noisy on Fridays, but there's usually seating at the back & up the stairs - and they've never raised an eyebrow about sitting there with a pint & a book.

Now - Smithers - not a lot of choice - either the Fireside Pub in the Hudson Bay Lodge or the Alpenhorn. Better food at the Alpenhorn, cheaper (and great lunch specials during the week) at the Fireside.

I used to really like the Railway Club but haven't been in years.

Stamps is okay though they put their beer prices up about a year ago which was a bit much.

When I was paddling out of false creek, some of the team regularly ended up after a practice at either the Keg or Bridges. I think we shut the places down on a few occasions :biggrin:

Closer to home is Jeremiah's..... friendly staff and ususally something interesting on tap.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Stamps is okay though they put their beer prices up about a year ago which was a bit much.

Closer to home is Jeremiah's..... friendly staff and ususally something interesting on tap.

Aaand ... that would be about when I left Vancouver. Perfect timing, I guess. We used to go to Jeremiah's a lot when I worked at Jericho Sailing Centre - great sandwiches, and I seem to remember good fries? It was also one of the few places you could guarantee had the America's Cup races on - I think they even used to get special dispensation to be able to open beyond licensing hours to show them. 3 hour lunches, anyone?

I used to go to the Drake and No.5. Can't say much about the food or beer. Very cutting edge entertainment though.

Coop, You crack me up! :laugh:

Last week I had a bunch of my coworkers here from Toronto, and it seems they've become regulars at the No.5 (they know the bartender by name....). Anyway, the night we all went to CinCin, I met up with them at, you guessed it, the No.5. The cabbie was hilarious - after a few quiet moments in the car, he said "you know, I wish I had a dollar for every fare I get from the No 5 over to CinCin. Actually, I should just start up a shuttle".

You gotta love a cabbie with a sense of humour. He got a way big tip, too. :laugh:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

The Railway Club is definitely a favourite. Mr Snacky Cat is a professional musician, so needless to say we spend rather a lot of time here (and will be there again tonight, in fact...). You can settle in and drink for HOURS, if you are inclined towards smoking you can do so either inside or outside, the trains are fun to watch, and Stan is the best doorman in town! The food from "the dining car" is actually pretty tasty too- the quesadilla is cheap and cheerful.

Not sure whether it counts as a bar or a pub (maybe a "bub"?), but The Morrissey is a frequent hangout, and the site of the Mr and Mrs Snacky Cat first meeting. The best canned music in town, good pub fare, and a comfortable, lively atmosphere.

Steamworks is good place to go when you have a large group that is looking for good beer and may or may not want to eat. I have often been called upon to book last-minute parties for 20-60 people, and Steamworks has come through every single time. Spending the night sampling their menu in one of their private rooms is fine way to lose a few hours.

On the west side, another bar-pub-restaurant that has eaten away many years of my life is Elwood's. At UBC, I minored in Elwood's. Do not get me started on the many, many stories I have about this place. Like the time that...

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Ahhh yes, the Railway! I had an Australian friend that introduced me to the place and we spent many and evening/late night there drinking and smoking. Inside no less. It's also the place where I almost broke my foot, before I had started drinking and the entire bar area turned around and laughed at me. Seriously, they laughed. That ended up being one of out best memories of the Railway.

I lost a few evenings between the St Regis and the Railway Club during the 70's and 80's. It was too early to go to the Love Affair. Where have all the uber gay roller skating waiters on roller skates gone?

Coop, I can't decide if the thought of you all punked out and bustin' some new wave poseur dance moves at Luv Affair is either delightful, frightening or some disquieting combination of the two. Were those part of your pink tutu days?

:unsure:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I was indeed a punk. Still am in a under cover sort of way. I think most people my age who had thier share of disco and pop became punks and whatever that was that followed. I wish I had more to add to this thread but bars just aren't my thing anymore. Vintropolis seemed okay the one time I went there. I also love Subeez. They have decent food, Full Sail IPA and a pretty pumping sound system. Could use a cleaning though.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/