• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New weird sandwich at Au Bon Pain

JennyUptown

It sounds like their take on a S'mores. I wouldnt necessarily buy it for lunch, but for a evening snack with some coffee? Sure.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Personally, it would be hideous to me at any time of day...

Interesting that they would offer something like this. For their sake, I hope they had a good marketing team!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm not really sure what the revulsion is here. It sounds like a dessert item to me. Didn't you people ever eat Nutella with Marshmallow fluff on toasted bread sandwiches as kids?

The "bread" part is probably some type of pre-formed chocolate babka type loaf thing sliced up, or something similar to a pound cake. So really its more like smores on top of toasted cakey-bread.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

For some reason, the chocolate cherry flavor profile to me is something that particularly needs to be done with high quality ingredients in order to taste good. I.e. good dark chocolate and sour cherries, and if appropriate to the dish, good Kirsch.

This may just be a personal quirk, I'm not at all against 'low brow' but tasty desserts in general but I really dislike the taste of gushy, overly-moist, cheap chocolate cake with canned cherries and fake whipped cream.

Likewise, cheap waxy chocolate bonbons filled with extra sugary cherries and a clear sugar goo or artificial alcohol flavoring,

I really like a good "Schwartzwalder Kirsch Torte" or cherry-filled chocolates but they just don't taste good w/cheap cherries or chocolate.

The base ingredients for this Au Bon Pain concoction just don't sound very good. But hey, maybe if I tasted it !?!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

It doesn't sound horrible, just horrible if done badly.

Too sweet, sure, but I'd count on it being a snack, not a meal. I suspect they list it in the "Baked Sandwiches" area of the menu because they don't have a "desserts" area. It could have been under "bakery" just as easily, except those all seem to be grab-and-go items.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Yes, for breakfast, lunch, tea, or dinner.

Love the idea of chocolate bread dotted with a dried fruit like cherry.

Doesn't sound much sweeter than my nutella-based or peanut-butter-based sandwiches. And I do have that sweet tooth to feed.

Yes, for breakfast, lunch, tea, or dinner.

Love the idea of chocolate bread dotted with a dried fruit like cherry.

Doesn't sound much sweeter than my nutella-based or peanut-butter-based sandwiches. And I do have that sweet tooth to feed.

Dried cherries do make it a better proposition for me ( :smile: ).

But the fluff? (Guess I'm just not a fluff fan).

Hope someone trys it and reports back! I'll have to wait until I'm back east sometime... :raz: .

I had their chocolate cherry bread used in French toast at a friend's place for brunch. It was very tasty. It wasn't cloyingly sweet and definitely a bread texture and not a babka/cake texture.

I don't know that I'd order this particular sandwich often, but I would try it for an afternoon coffee kind of thing instead of some other pastry.

But the fluff?  (Guess I'm just not a fluff fan).

I'm of the "everything is better with fluff" school.

I'd have it as dessert... would somebody like to send one up here?

I'd give it a go, as a dessert, probably split in two or three with coffee. The tough thing would be choosing it over a pan au chocolat though. I really enjoy those and don't find them often around here.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

actually it sounds good to me but not for lunch or as a substitute for any meal...dessert yes..meal no...

now if they could just somehow take way the sugar used and use splenda that would make my diabetes very happy..... :laugh:

a recipe is merely a suggestion

But the fluff?   (Guess I'm just not a fluff fan).

I'm of the "everything is better with fluff" school.

I'd have it as dessert... would somebody like to send one up here?

I'm a fluff fan too, dating back to my years in sleepaway camp. I would eat fluffers, as I didn't like fluffernutters. :biggrin:

I made a fun frosting for my daughter's birthday cake that uses fluff, butter, powdered sugar and food coloring.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

It would really depend on the quality of the ingredients. I wouldn't enjoy bright red, syrupy cherries.

I know I defended this a bit before, but this is Au Bon Pain, so the ingredient quality isn't likely to be better than mediocre.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Heck yeah! I think this sounds yummy. No, not in place of my turkey on wheat for lunch, but as a treat, TOTALLY!

I love chocolate-cherry bread. I have a recipe for it that used Guiness. Bread texture, not too sweet, deep chocolate brown with dried cherried... mmm...

I would totally try this. Especially now that I'm pregnant and could get away with it! :wub: