• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Antonio Dining

therese

I'll be in San Antonio the last week of February for a meeting, and would appreciate recommendations for restaurants near the convention center and my hotel (the Gunter).

My husband's actually from San Antonio, so I've been to a number of downmarket places outside of downtown when visiting family in the past. I won't be seeing family at all this time, and in any case will be without a car, so either on foot or an easy cab ride will be best.

All options considered, including up and downmarket. I wouldn't mind finding decent German food, actually (the surrounding area was settled by Germans, so this isn't too bizarre a request), and of course Tex-Mex.

Can you pee in the ocean?

tex mex...there is this place acroos the street and up from the alamo i think almost directly across the street from the bandstand (the one by the alamo) that my fiance and i ate at a few months back when we went to visit my home town..cant remember the name of the place but im pretty sure its the only mexican place there..tex mex or otherwise...take the troly if u must but it is the place u want to go...lol

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Thanks for the info re Le rêve. I'll keep it in mind as an option for deep pocket hosts (unfortunately scarse at this particular meeting).

A look 'round the web suggests that my hopes of finding German food in San Antonio proper are unlikely to be rewarded.

Anywhere other than Mi Tierra at El Mercado to try?

I'm going to be in San Antonio also, but only for a day. I'll be arriving from Mexico City and will meet my sister in San Antonio for lunch and we will stay for dinner. She lives in Austin but has business in S.A. in the preceding days, and there are no direct flights to Austin from Mexico City, and so we thought the drive trom S.A. was the best alternative.

I remember having good Cajun food in S.A., but I can't remember where. Also, a good Mexican or Tex-Mex rec would be good, especially on the River Walk.

My favorite restaurant downtown, on the Riverwalk (and within walking distance of the convention center), is the Zuni Grill--moderately priced, and a very inventive menu. Be aware that if you order the veggie burger, what you'll get is an assortment of grilled veggies on a bun. It's quite tasty, but not what most people are expecting.

We will be in SA on Friday as my twins are competing in the rodeo and livestock show that evening. Is there any place good around the arena, or are there usually good vendors at the livestock show?

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

On the riverwalk, if you just want a quick bite while wandering, the Hilton has a small cafe downstairs, right on the riverwalk. The best tortilla soup I have ever had.

Let me say that again. Hands down, the best tortilla soup I ever had. When you get tired of walking, have a seat, a cup of soup and a beverage. Life is good. It will get you through the rest of the day.

Also, in the mall, there is (was) a marble slab ice cream type of operation in a small stand on the (I think) 2nd floor. Amazing cinnamon ice cream. I got bananas in mine. Super stuff.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I'll be in San Antonio the last week of February for a meeting, and would appreciate recommendations for restaurants near the convention center and my hotel (the Gunter).

My husband's actually from San Antonio, so I've been to a number of downmarket places outside of downtown when visiting family in the past. I won't be seeing family at all this time, and in any case will be without a car, so either on foot or an easy cab ride will be best.

All options considered, including up and downmarket. I wouldn't mind finding decent German food, actually (the surrounding area was settled by Germans, so this isn't too bizarre a request), and of course Tex-Mex.

My wife is there this week for a convention and I asked her to scope out the good places to recommend.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

My wife is there this week for a convention and I asked her to scope out the good places to recommend.

Thanks. All the advance suggestions and scouting reports very welcome. I'll post when I return as well of course.

I love tortilla soup - I made a note to myself to look for the restaurant at the Hilton. I've also been to a good ice cream place in the mall at the River Walk, but I can't remember the name of it. A friend that was there with me insisted on speaking German with me so that others would not understand us, but I can never be sure... I have noticed that Germans are particularly bad about speaking German, thinking that others will not understand, but of course we do.

A look 'round the web suggests that my hopes of finding German food in San Antonio proper are unlikely to be rewarded.

Schilo's Delicatessen, 424 E Commerce St, is a pretty good German deli.

As you noted, the "surrounding area" was settled by Germans. The best German food will be in and around Fredericksburg, about an hour away.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

Schilo's Delicatessen, 424 E Commerce St, is a pretty good German deli.

As you noted, the "surrounding area" was settled by Germans. The best German food will be in and around Fredericksburg, about an hour away.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Husband's family was from Round Top, and it's pretty cool going back to visit. We had lunch a couple of years ago in a diner there where the old folks (and some of the young folks) still spoke German.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your recommendations.

I didn't end up doing any high end dining at all, but what I had was pretty good.

Sunday I had brunch with my sister-in-law at The Guenther House, a ladies who lunch sort of place located in a museum that's attached to a (still functioning) flour mill. The restaurant features products made by the mill and a retail store. Right on the river (though not on the River Walk), very pretty outdoor dining on a nice day. No alcohol. I had a cold plate, chicken salad and fruit, and we split a waffle for dessert.

I had lunch a couple of days at Schilo's, a German deli that's just a couple of blocks from the convention center, so very convenient. Had tongue with hot potato salad (includes dill, a nice touch) and red cabbage (made with cinnamon) one day. Bratwurst with kraut (lots of caraway) and more potato salad the next day. They're famous for their home made root beer, but I'm not much of a root beer fan so had Shiner Bock instead. German beers (draft) also available.

Dessert one afternoon at Mi Tierra at El Mercado. We sat in the restaurant and had coffee, but instead of dessert I went over to the bakery side and got an assortment of things: leche quemada (caramel fudge with pecans), dulce de naranja (candied half orange), polvoron (cinnamon-flavored dry tea biscuit), and pumpkin turnover (in a spicy sort of casing). All excellent. I shared them, and still had breakfast left for the next day.

Only dinner out was on the river (right on the river, lovely evening) at an old school Tex-Mex place called Casa Rio. My family takes me here when we visit, and it was fine. I got tamales (yes, just tamales) and they were very good.

All in all a very pleasant visit food-wise.

Mi Tierra in the Mercado is my favorite. Open 24-7 and a free trolley ride away from the Riverwalk. Their cabrito is excellent.

I don't know if it's still open or not, but we really used to like the Grey Moss Inn in Bandera.

Edited by DeVeaux (log)

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Mi Tierra in the Mercado is my favorite.  Open 24-7 and a free trolley ride away from the Riverwalk.  Their cabrito is excellent.

Not just cabrito, but menudo as well.

The free trolleys are apparently no longer free, at least according to the three different people I asked. Everybody says that they're now $0.80. Still not a bad way to get around, but then the walk is also not bad if the weather cooperates.