• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl Parties

deprofundis

I still don't have my plans together yet (yeah I'm a huge procrastinator). I'm leaning towards going to the Smoke Joint's 'all you can eat' bbq (if they still have room left!). Anybody have other suggestions? Where's the best spot in Philly to enjoy the game?

Chickie's & Pete's in South Philly (or the other locations as well) ought to be a temple of Eagles worship on Sunday.

Fox & Hound at 15th & Spruce has a wall of TV's.

I think there's still a really big sports bar in the University City hotel at 36th & Chestnut. Can't remember either exactly which hotel chain it is or what the name of the bar is at the moment.

Check the Philly Weekly or City Paper. I'm certain they'll be bulging with ads for Super Bowl parties.

Mercifully, my restaurant will be closed in honor of the Super Bowl. Since we don't have TV in the bar it seemed silly to open when no one would be coming in at all anyway. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Or perhaps this Super Places to Watch Sunday's Game will be of some assistance.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

There's a chain sports bar (Champions, I think) on Market street across from Loew's hotel at about 12th or 13th street. We were in Philly for the Army/Navy game last year and were going to go in there to watch the Eagles/Cowboys on Sunday. Too crowded, rotten food. We walked south on 12th a few blocks and found a local bar with some decent free food and good sandwiches and lots of local color. Much more authentic and satisfying.

I think there's still a really big sports bar in the University City hotel at 36th & Chestnut.  Can't remember either exactly which hotel chain it is or what the name of the bar is at the moment.

Top Dog Sports Grill in the Sheraton University City succumbed last spring to the picketing campaign mounted against it by HERE Local 273 from the day it opened. (The owner maintained that, as an independent operation, Top Dog did not have to honor the Sheraton's contract with the unionized restaurant workers as prior occupant Shula's Steak 2 had.)

Shifting gears: I'm sure every gayborhood bar that has TV sets will have them tuned to the Supe, but the places to be will be the Bike Stop and Key West. (If I don't go to my roomie's aunt's house, I will probably take in the spectacle at the latter. They offer a free buffet for every Eagles game, and no doubt they will outdo themselves for the Super Bowl. The staff had better not switch off the volume during the commercials, though.)

Edited to add: Posted this before I read Sono Motoyama's article linked above, in which she mentions the festivities at Tavern on Camac.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

That was probably Finn MacCool's at 12th and Sansom.

I'm sure you're right, that sounds familiar. The proprietor was very nice. I ordered a meatball sandwich and he said "we're putting out meatballs for free in a few minutes, maybe get something else". Nice dose of give a damn about strangers just in off the street.