• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese candy

SteveW

Hi Steve!

One of my all time favorites is the White Rabbit candy with the edible inner wrapper. Also, the name escapes me at the moment, but ever since I was a wee bitty thing, I've loved the thin plum discs, what are they called?

What are your favorites?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Of course it is the rabbit candy, I think I could just eat the peel and be happy. :blink: Also the swiss candy, that are like starbursts. The swiss candy are probably not Chinese but I see them as Chinese candy. Black sesame and peanut candy is also my favourite too. There are probably more but this is all I can come up with for now.

Hi Steve!

One of my all time favorites is the White Rabbit candy with the edible inner wrapper.  Also, the name escapes me at the moment, but ever since I was a wee bitty thing, I've loved the thin plum discs, what are they called?

What are your favorites?

I know both of your candies(also don't know name of the thin plum discs). As far as my favorites, I would have to think about it for my complete list(& many of them I don't know their proper name). Two that come to mind. One is a dates w/walnuts candy(it's small rectangular shape, & comes in about 12 a box), but don't remember its name. Second would be dragon beard candy(this is a bit specialized).

-Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

Haw Flakes rule! What a blast to my past.

What about BOTAN RICE CANDY? It came in that little orange box and had a picture of a Chinese baby on the front (or something similar). The top of the box always had a toy in it (like a little plastic car). And the orange, chewy candy inside was wrapped in rice paper. Anybody remember this?

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

In the Beijing Shopping Centre on Wangfujing St., I got the sweet preserved mixed red and yellow haws. I really love the yellow haws and wish I could get them in New York. :sad:

My favorite candy to get in Chinese supermarkets in New York is actually from Indonesia. It's called Ting Ting Jahe, and it's a sort of chewy ginger candy.

Michael aka "Pan"

I love the chewy ginger candies with the edible inner wrap. These have a picture of ginger on the wrapper. Great for staying awake when you are driving . . . sweet and hot! :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Haw flakes, but only when they're crispy. I used to squeeze the packages of haw flakes to find the ones which seemed reasonably hard.

I have fond memories of Botan Rice Candy but they no longer give toys. Just stickers. Boo. Takes so much of the fun out of it.

Oh, and though I guess it's not really candy (though I suppose haw flakes aren't either), the little tiny pellets made out of something like plum, in the clear, cylindrical containers. There were two kinds, one that was a brown color and was softer and plummier, and the gray colored ones that were hard and salty. I always liked the gray, salty ones which are now really hard to find. I guess most people prefered the brown, soft ones since those seem to be the only ones around!

Haw flakes, but only when they're crispy. I used to squeeze the packages of haw flakes to find the ones which seemed reasonably hard.

So, YOU'RE the one who left behind all those crumbled rolls! :angry::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I love the chewy ginger candies with the edible inner wrap. These have a picture of ginger on the wrapper. Great for staying awake when you are driving . . . sweet and hot! :wub:

That wrapper's edible?

Reminds me of when I lived in korea with my parents, and my mom used to eat the plastic-wrapper the hot-dogs came in, until she was told she was not told to...

My favorites of the momment (just bought a big bag in SF chinatown) are the sleightly fizzy soda-flavored candies (specially the cola ones, though the lemon-lime are nice). And the candied kumquats, though these come in a variety of qualities.

My vote goes to haw flakes and the chewy walnut and date candies.

When I was a kid, my brothers and I would pretend to be priests and give each other communion with haw flakes (same shape, same width, different color, better taste). Of course we also got scolded once for smuggling salami into a church and eating during mass. At the communion rail, no less (when churches still had them).

Oh, I forgot, not quite Chinese but a lot of Chinese shops do sell them. Preserved tamarind. I particularly like the Thai kind, nice and tart, and rolled in sugar, salt, and chili powder. Yum!

"Tang hu lou" - Candied Haw

It's 4 or 5 whole haw berries, stuck onto a stick and coated in a light toffee coating. Served either hot or cold by street vendors in chinese cities. I eat about 4 a day every time I go back because it's one of the very few things completely unavailable elsewhere.

PS: I am a guy.

I must look for these! In the regular candy aisle?

I've always likes the red wrapped 'lucky' candy, but mostly for the bright color. The candy itself tastes butterscotch to me, but I don't think it is.

But if I had to choose only one, it would be sesame peanut.

What about all the various preserved plums,peaches--does that count as candy? My hubby used to go to Chinatown & come back with all different kinds--some rolled in licorice-tasting coating, some sweet/salty, some soft & chewy & others more dry.I don't know if there is a special name for this type of treat, but I really enjoyed them.

What about all the various preserved plums,peaches--does that count as candy?  My hubby used to go to Chinatown & come back with all different kinds--some rolled in licorice-tasting coating, some sweet/salty, some soft & chewy & others more dry.I don't know if there is a special name for this type of treat, but I really enjoyed them.

Chun pei, wah mui, lung mun...( preserved orange peel, plum, lemon, etc.

We eat them as candy, I suppose. They are good when fresh. Hubby likes them. I hate them for all the wrappers I find under his desk! :angry::laugh:

Jo-Mel: The ginger candies are in the candy aisle.

The red lucky candies are, I thought, strawberry flavoured? I have a package waiting to go into the" tune hap". I just got a bag that looks the same, but they are "chewy". Just had one....fruity flavoured...gummy texture.

I really miss coconut candies...the dark coloured ones, not the white or beige kind. They were so full of flavour! :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

One slight word of warning: Not all ginger candies have edible paper. The wrapper of Ting Ting Jahe candy is not edible, and it's regrettable that it sticks so strongly to the candy.

Michael aka "Pan"