• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese candy

SteveW

Two years ago we were invited to a Chinese New Year feast. What I remember best of all were the red divided containers full of candies of all kinds and the one I liked best...the hosts did not know its name...was a chewy light-colored candy with a very distinct sesame oil flavor.

There were no sesame seeds involved. It was not crunchy. A chewy candy flavored with sesame oil...a very strange candy flavor to a westerner.

Can anyone help me with a name or recipe for this candy. The owner of our local Chinese market could not help me at all.

Thanks and Happy New Year. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've also got one. I used to get these delicious little hard candies in Beijing. They tasted like flaky, caramelized sugar. The wrapper seemed to insinuate they were from Hainan. I've hunted up and down at all the Asian super markets in Sacramento to no avail....would love to try them again!

Those candied fruits look DELISH. Unfortunately I didn't run across em' in China. :(

I've got my Tray of Togetherness filled along with extra bags for my students tomorrow: candied lotus root, lotus seeds, coconut, melon, carrot, New Year's Lucky candy, watercheastnut, kumquat.

I love them all!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 1 year later...

Does anyone out there like Royal Family Food Co's Sesame Small Mochi? A friend gave me a small package yesterday. My DH doesn't like it, but I do. Sort of strange candy, not very sweet, but I like it. Any story about this candy?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.