• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: NYC Hot Chocolate

slkinsey

With the cold weather upon the City of late, my thoughts naturally turn to warming winter drinks, hot chocolate among them. Who makes the best in the City?

NY Magazine lists their six favorites, Otto Enoteca Pizzeria, Vosges Haut-Chocolat, @SQC, Jacques Torres Chocolate Haven, The City Bakery and Lunettes et Chocolat. Of these, I've had @SQC's and City Bakery's examples. Thus far, @SQC's is my favorite. It's made with Valrhona chocolate -- thick, strong and slightly bitter. Especially good in their "fire & ice" which includes a scoop of bitter caramel ice cream.

--

Ive had Jacques Torres, Lunettes and Chocolat, and CIty Bakery. I think JT is slightly better than L&C though both are good. CIty Bakery IMO is vile, sugary and gross, I never understand how this place is consistantly considered top notch. Perhaps people feel the need to like it so as not to feel gauged by the exorbitant prices.

I tend to favor the "Aztec" hot chocolate, but the Marie Belle one I found was lacking in that kick. I've also been given some of the Torres stuff to make at home, which was nice, but for some reason I just want to make it a little punchier. Is there something like chipotle powder I can add?

Jacques Torres's Mexican Hot Chocolate wins, by a wide margin, and Vosges is second after that. Both are smooth and rich, with a big chocolate taste, and neither are overly sugary.

I find Marie Belle's HC far too sweet and cloying. Haven't tried the others on the NYT list.

IMHO, anything but the Starbucks "Chantico version," which tastes burned and forms a skin quickly. Ick!

edit: I did try City Bakery, and found it too sugary as well. But that was a couple of years ago, possibly it may have improved since then.

Edited by alacarte (log)

Isn't there someplace in town that makes hot chocolate with a touch of chili pepper?

Marie Belle (Nolita or Soho) makes a Spicy Hot Chocolate that includes chipotle. Here's a description from their site:

"The Aztec Spicy Hot Chocolate is made with a medium dark chocolate (63% cacao content) from the finest cacao bean from Venezuela flavored with a blend of spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and chipotle. This hot chocolate is rich, adventurous with a spicy flair. It is divinely decadent and supremely simple. Just add water to conjure up a full flavored cup of true European style hot chocolate or refrigerate and it transforms into a dark Creme de Chocolat, perfect alone or in pies."

I haven't tried it, though I have had their other hot chocolates and have found them to be dee-lish (especially if you have a mini froth maker for added consistency).

Additionally, if you're craving some milk/dark chocolate made with spices such as masala, curry, and quite possibly chipotle, they carry a line of chocolate bars that are absolutely phenomenal. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the company that makes them, but they are not by Marie Belle -- though definitely stocked at their Soho location.

http://www.mariebelle.com/

I'm addicted to MB! :raz:

cava_girl

I had OTTO's hot chocolate on Saturday and found it a little too hazelnut-y for my tastes. The whipped cream on top was delicious, though.

That front bar room is a real scene on early Saturday evenings...

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

• 2 weeks later...

I've had Mariebelle's and I thought it was really good, and then I bought a can ($25) and at home it tastes awful.

For good Hot Chocolate in this town, I have to make it. My latest technique is: Scharffen Berger's Drinking Chocolate. Mmmmm mmmm. And they have a similar recipe for making the product. Or when in the mood for unsweetened Hot Cocoa, I use Scharffen Berger Cocoa.

Emma Peel