• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vaquero

winesonoma

Soo, are there any restaurants in California that do this type of cooking? Anyone have an opinion on Vaquero or is it just talk rather than California Rancho Cooking? I'm thinking of going there this week.

Off the topic, how are the burgers at Vaquero in Sonoma? How's the Sunday Brunch?

Best burger in town :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Okay, but here's a stupid question... other than Sonoma Saveurs' Duck Burgers (which I adore) and the ones grilled outside of that cheese market, who else in town sells burgers?

I suppose that Black Bear Diner does, but I'd quickly discount them for being so Dennys-like. Does the Swiss have burgers? Anywhere else I'm not thinking of?

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

Okay, but here's a stupid question... other than Sonoma Saveurs' Duck Burgers (which I adore) and the ones grilled outside of that cheese market, who else in town sells burgers?

I suppose that Black Bear Diner does, but I'd quickly discount them for being so Dennys-like. Does the Swiss have burgers? Anywhere else I'm not thinking of?

Swiss has Burgers but they use those hard sourdough rolls. Girl and the Fig has burgers and great Pommes frites. Duece also has burgers. Generals Daughter also has burgers. But Vaquero has the Best in my humble opinion. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

The last time I was in Sonoma, on a Friday, The Vella Cheese store had a BBQ set up outdoors and a banner saying they had the best burger in town. Anyone tried these? Mmmm ... topped with melted jack ... that seems to have poosibilities.

About Vaquero ... just cant seem to get there yet. How is the Sunday buffet?

The last time I was in Sonoma, on a Friday, The Vella Cheese store had a BBQ set up outdoors and a banner saying they had the best burger in town. Anyone tried these? Mmmm ... topped with melted jack ... that seems to have poosibilities.

They are fine but nothing exceptional. I suppose what makes them taste good is the fact that they ARE grilling outdoors and you are caught with the aroma first which makes you want one. Whenever there is an art festival in the square, I usually forgo the food vendors that are trying to sell their over-priced whatever and head to the cheese store for a burger as it is more affordable. About what you would make at home if just using your basic ground beef and not bothering to dress it up or anything.

That's the Cheese Factory. Not Vella's by a long stretch. Vella's is at 315 Second St East. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

That's the Cheese Factory. Not Vella's by a long stretch. Vella's is at 315 Second St East. :biggrin:

Yes, for clarification to those unfamiliar with Sonoma, there are TWO cheese manufacturers in town, The Vella Cheese Factory and The Sonoma Cheese Factory. The Sonoma Cheese Factory is the one ON the square, selling tons of other stuff (mostly for tourists) and food products. These are the guys grilling the burger. The Vella Cheese Factory is in an old stone historical building just off the square. Their reception area is rather small and besides cheese, I think they only sell a modicum of accompaniaments like crackers, beverages, and maybe a meat or two. I like the Vella cheese over the Sonoma cheese.

And we also have Ig Vellas daughter, Who has a shop called The Cheesemakers Daughter at 127 E Napa St. We are a very cheesy town. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bruce Frigard