• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations in Yokohama?

Culinista

Kiyoken, I have never been to the restaurant but I pick up their shumai in department store basements every now and then. :biggrin: I am not really a fan of Chinese food, especially Chinese food in Japan, but looking at theirwebsite I notice they do more than Chinese..

The ramen museum, curry museum, etc are places I keep telling myself I need to get to at least once, but haven't been yet.

Which part of Yokohama are you going to be in and are you looking for a certain kind of cuisine with a particular price range?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Our situation is a little odd.

We will be in Yokohama for two nights, primarily to visit relatives. In previous visits, we have always eaten in various aunts' houses, so this time we thought it would be best to meet people in restaurants. My uncle is reserving a room on the third floor of Kiyoken for a big family lunch get-together. What would be good to order there?

We still don't know where we will go for the two dinners, but I'd like to make the arrangements myself since I don't want my relatives to feel obligated to pay for everything. We will probably be 4-6 people in the group each evening, which may limit our choices. People live all over the place, so something close to transportation is ideal.

I'm curious about the ramen museum. We have very limited time--would it be worth the trouble to visit it? Normally I'd go on my own to find out, but an uncle is picking us up from the Shin-Yokohama station and I'd have to make a special request to be taken there.

Thanks so much!

Our situation is a little odd.

We will be in Yokohama for two nights, primarily to visit relatives. In previous visits, we have always eaten in various aunts' houses, so this time we thought it would be best to meet people in restaurants. My uncle is reserving a room on the third floor of Kiyoken for a big family lunch get-together. What would be good to order there?

I have a feeling in this situation you will not be given too much of a choice in ordering. It will most likely be a pre-decided course meal maybe even decided at the time of booking the room. I have been to many family get togethers like this and most times we are not even presented with a menu, all the decisions are made by the "host" (your uncle?). often the only person with a menu.

We still don't know where we will go for the two dinners, but I'd like to make the arrangements myself since I don't want my relatives to feel obligated to pay for everything. We will probably be 4-6 people in the group each evening, which may limit our choices. People live all over the place, so something close to transportation is ideal.

younger relatives or older relatives?

For meals with older relatives I would stick with Japanese style, unless they really enjoy western foods.

Places like Ume no Hana (tofu kaiseki) offer gorgeous atmosphere, great food and (if you are there for lunch!) decent prices all with private rooms. I talked about them a bit here.

Ume no Hana

or a similar restaurant Senzan

which focuses on crab and also has private rooms.

They are both very good and also very popular for groups, especially family groups.

For younger people I would suggest yakiniku (Korean grilled beef) or maybe an izakaya.

Terrific recommendations. We might go for the crab since we will be having yudofu for lunch in Kyoto.

The relatives range in age, from 4 to 70. The ramen museum looks too fun to miss.

Does anyone ever make ramen from scratch, including the noodles? I've always wondered how they get the Sapporo noodles to curl.

• 2 years later...

OK, this is slightly strange... I'll be in Yokohama on the 18th, but I'll be on freighter ship and we'll only be stopping overnight at the most. If I'm lucky, I'll have time for one meal ashore. We'll be berthing at the container terminal at the south end of the Bay Bridge, and depending on how much shore leave we get, I might be limited to where I can walk from there.

I realize that this is reasonably close to Motomachi, but given that I'll be arriving from China, I think I'll give Chinese food a miss unless someone knows a good Sichuan place (but if I make it that far and have a few hours to spare, I'll probably hop on a train and go to the raman museum!)

So, does anyone have any recommendations near that port area? Once we sail I'll be eating German food 3 times a day for the next 10 days, so this will be my last chance for an interesting meal for a while!

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.