• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

California Farmers' Markets

I understand if people don't want to drive far to shop because of the traffic (believe me I understand that) but I still am quite shocked at the crime thing. I actually don't know anyone around me who would say such a thing and I've lived in suburbia for most of my life.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Mary,

That is exactly what I was attempting to explain in my earlier post.  People just do not drive long distances if they don't have to.  They will drive someplace for pleasure but not for shopping.

I wonder if different cities have different cultural attitudes toward food shopping. When I'm in SF, I get the impression that being into food and food shopping is trendy. In LA, it generally seems to be eh, get some shrimp for the barbie and some box wine or Bob White (Mondavi chardonnay) and we have a party. Which is a shame because LA is such a melting pot, and as artisan02 pointed out there's huge scope for some great food markets.

It's also much easier to sell central coast wines in San Francisco than in Los Angeles. LA restaurants are very publicity-driven and trend-conscious, whereas SF restaurants seem to have more confidence and a willingness to explore other wine regions. On the other hand, restaurant snobbery in SF reaches an almost comical state--I much prefer the laidback attitude of LA and the South Coast!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

That doesn't mean that such places can't happen anywhere else, by any means. In fact, given that SoCal wouldn't be such a long haul from interesting suppliers of quality produce, it could probably happen down here too if someone ran with the idea as did the Yasudas of Berkeley Bowl or the Fujimotos of Monterey Market.

Yes, that is what is comes to mind, at least for me. I am sort of surprised that no one down here in southern California hasn't run with this idea before. Maybe they have, and maybe it was a complete flop. I am not that conversant with all that has gone on, down in this region.

That being said, and even with all the great farmers markets here, and there are quite a few, I wish I had the money to do something like this myself. Maybe I am just imagining things, but it seems like there could be a niche for it down here as well. I know people schlep long distances at time to go to the markets in Berkeley, so why not here? Of course with gas prices these days, that might be changing.

Maybe some enterprising eGulleteer, with passion and money (and knowledge of this type of business) can start something like this down in this region. :wink:

Thanks for the info about the Coop in San Diego. I might just schelp down there myself to check this out.

I think if you thought about what part of LA you would put such a market the answer would come to you.

No pictures (one of these days, I will remember to take my camera to the market) but today's purchases included:

* fava beans

* sugar peas

* kohlrabi

* salad mix

* butter lettuce

* spinach

* basil

* local tomatoes (still early but they're bound to be better than the grocery store ones!)

* local strawberries

* green garlic

* leeks

* Bariani olive oil :wub:

No pictures (one of these days, I will remember to take my camera to the market) but today's purchases included:

Is there more than one farmer's market in SacTown? If so, do you have a favorite one?

And enjoy your fava beans and strawberries... It's a great time of year.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Is there more than one farmer's market in SacTown?  If so, do you have a favorite one?

According to their website, there are 10 certified farmer's markets here; four of them are year-round markets.

Certified Farmers Markets of Sacramento

I go to the one at Sunrise Mall because it's close to home. I can even ride my scooter there, if I want to. If I miss that one, I'll try to make the one downtown. Although that one is bigger and has a wider selection, I prefer the Sunrise Mall market. The one downtown is held under the freeway so the background noise is quite bothersome for me.

And enjoy your fava beans and strawberries... It's a great time of year.

Isn't it? I was so excited last month to see the first of the asparagus but now the peas and beans and artichokes are coming in too.

I've already shelled, blanched, and "skinned" the fava beans. Tonight's dinner will feature them sauteed with some green garlic and leeks and served over grilled halibut.

The strawberries will be for dessert tonight too. I don't usually buy strawberries at the market because we have a stand right around the corner from us. There's nothing like getting their first strawberries! Next week, I hope.

It seems to me that what you are experiencing is culture shock, more than anything else. The lifestyle of SoCal is very different from SF Bay Area, and you either embrace it or fight it. If you can't find foods that you want here, you should have enough space to grow your own, and that is the advantage of SoCal - not being so tightly confined. I have lived in Berkeley and San Francisco before moving to L.A., and I am much happier now that I have my own mango, lime, lemon, tangerine, orange, fig, and papaya trees. I also have space to grow numerous herbs and lettuces, whereas in San Francisco, all I had was a plum tree, which made a huge mess annually.

My advice is to take advantage of the increased space you must have after moving from Berkeley and start growing what you can't find in the markets. Join a gardening forum and get advice there about how to grow what you really want - the climate here is much more conducive to growing a lot more varieties of fruit and vegetables than in Berkeley - not to mention the space constraints.

As for the culture shock - that I can't help you with, but if that is what is bothering you, then face it directly and don't blame it on food shortages. I've grown everything from artichokes to tomatoes to passionfruit in my yard here in Venice, with much satisfaction and less need to visit markets.

Just a heads up that 2 new farmers markets will be opening in OC, in May. One will be in La Habra, one in Santa Ana. They've gotten some news coverage and hopefully these markets won't tank. I heard from the mother of one of the organizers that they've been trying to get this off the ground for more than three years and finally happening. These people are also trying to establish community gardens and public art projects in Santa Ana. I haven't seen anything like it in OC.

Click this link for more information.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

• 2 weeks later...

Very local news, but all the Napa farmers markets are starting this week.

Sat: Napa

Sat: Calistoga

Tues: Napa

Wed: Yountville

Fri: St Helena

I'm planning on only doing Yountville, which starts tonight, rain or shine. And at this point it looks like no shine!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

gallery_17061_738_60718.jpg

The Saturday Templeton market was slimming down on brassicas, but there were still plenty of greens and cool-weather root vegetables. My eye was caught by this pretty tub of Yo Choi, and of course the vendor, Maria, bossy as ever, convinced me that they're good for stirfry, salads and pizza, and she threw in a huge helping of mesclun just to prove her point. Maria says Yo Choi is 'Italian broccoli.' That made it immediately acceptable to my Italian SO, who will not otherwise eat flowers. :raz:

gallery_17061_738_1497.jpg

Chandler strawberries outshone the other varieties available, according to sidewalk votes. Mui fresca!

One lady informed me they're the best for taste, but don't hold up as long. Hmph! Three boxes didn't last as many hours. This weekend I've promised to pick up a flat.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

One of the vendors at the Alemany farmer's market in San Francisco had quite a few Apricots last week. They looked pretty green, though. They had a sign on them which said they would ripen in two days; but, I could swear someone told me that apricots don't really ripen once they are picked.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Has anyone seen apricots in the markets yet?  I am yearning for them, and hoping to get at least some of them before I leave California in a few weeks.

I recently read somewhere that apricots were known as the first fruit of summer. It may be too early at the moment but give it a couple weeks and I'm sure they'll be overflowing.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

If I espied some, I would buy a single one first and taste it. Never a bad idea re: apricots anyway as I've seemed to have gotton disappointing ones more often that I like, even in the midst of the season.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Apricots hit last weekend at the Irvine market, but they didn't look very promising. They're my least favorite Summer fruit anyway, so I wasn't eager to test them. Even some very poorly looking white peaches were on display last weekend. The sample I tried was hard as a rock and tasted nearly nothing like a peach. Still, it's nice to be reminded that they're on their way.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Apricots hit last weekend at the Irvine market, but they didn't look very promising.  They're my least favorite Summer fruit anyway, so I wasn't eager to test them. 

Have you tried pluots? They're a cross between plums and apricots. The organic farmer in our local farmer's market usually has 3 or 4 different kinds when they are in season (should be soon!) and some are incredibly tasty. Last year he had some pluots that tasted like giant green grapes. They were amazingly good.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Some really good Apricots are showing up at Santa Monica on Weds and the cherries are getting nice and sweet. A new ( new to me anyway) fruit called Appriums, sort of like a reverse Pluot. An apricot plum cross, heavy on the apricot. They were OK. Strawberries are finally tasting like something and the prices are way down from a month ago. Tutti Frutti has the best IMHO since they are super tasty and organic. Harrys Berries is, as always, the crowd favorite but out of my budget . Anothe couple of weeks and the Stanwick nectarines will be available at the market soon followed by Circle K fruit, the best cherries, stone fruit, and of course persian mulberries.

Currently I have fresh porcini, morels, and Ramps

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

I just moved to Paso Robles a week ago and went to the Templeton Market this AM........got golden and red beets, BLOOD CARROTS (!?!) and some yummy little orange ones.........teeny squash and baby purple artichole.......strawberries (balsamic and black pepper coming up!)........oyster mushrooms........tomatoes.....and a loaf of delicious corn rye from Pure and Simple.

Whew!

Off to the Paso Wine Festival this afternoon and then, tonight .......roasted veggies !

Kathy :biggrin:

At the Mountain View market this week it was all about cherries!

Yellow-Blush Rainiers and dark red Tulare and Brooks were among the varieties I saw.

Also saw some beautiful string beans that were a purplish black color; their booth was pretty busy so I didn't get to ask what their name was.

• 5 weeks later...

At the Saturday Templeton market, in addition to a flat of Chandler strawberries, a mixed box of cherries, and a bag of perfectly ripe yet firm apricots, I found these beauties:

gallery_17061_738_15425.jpg

Hmm, I should have put a ruler or something up for scale. The heads were at least six inches wide. They were incredibly tender and flavorful, and had HUGE hearts. :wub: My significanto ate two in less time than it took me to eat one, then he leaned over and whined plaintively, "Can I have your heart? Mine didn't have one."

gallery_17061_738_12305.jpg

I also bought a few baby purple artichokes, and as my SO had a poker party that night and I was by myself for the evening, I experimented. I blanched them, spiced them up with various seasonings, and grilled them.

gallery_17061_738_8917.jpg

The outer leaves were still tough, but the insides were great, and I managed to eat them by inverting the outer leaves and popping the tender insides into my mouth. Next time, I will peel off more of the outer leaves and maybe blanch them just a little longer. Anyone have any tips for the perfect grilled baby artichokes?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

At the Ferry Plaza last Saturday I picked up a couple of things:

- 2 pounds of Rainier cherries - oddly, it was extremely difficult to find good cherries last week - tons of not so sweet ones - one booth, whose name I forget, had excellent ones (the same booth selling the mini sour cherries)

- Black figs, early season - despite assurances that these were sweet they turned out to be less than great. Drizzled with some honey they were good, though - from Capay

- Super sweet white corn from the vendor at the front right corner of the Ferry Building near Blue Bottle coffee - like eating perfectly tasty maple syrup after some time on the grill

- Couldn't find peaches worth buying, even tried Frog Hollow

- Dates, though I forget the variety

- The Shaking Beef kit (take and cook yourself) from Out the Door @ The Slanted Door (ok, not really a farmers market goodie, but mmmmmm)

I'd be interested in any other red carrot sightings, especially close to SF. Marquita didn't have any this week.

At the Ferry Plaza last Saturday I picked up a couple of things:

- 2 pounds of Rainier cherries - oddly, it was extremely difficult to find good cherries last week - tons of not so sweet ones - one booth, whose name I forget, had excellent ones (the same booth selling the mini sour cherries)

Did you guys get rain last week? Our cherry vendor won't be back after last Saturday because the rain we had earlier in the week ended their season.

Lots of stone fruit available in the markets out here in Sacto.

Some new (for me) veggies I picked up on Saturday were bitter melon greens and amaranth. I also got some Romano beans, which were a nice trip down memory lane for me. I'd forgotten how good green beans could be.