• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

This is more of a farm stand than a market but I'll put it here anyway. I forgot to buy green onions at the farmers market yesterday and my parsley got frozen in the fridge so I decided to visit Underwood Family Farms to pick up those items, some more fava beans and a few more photos to annoy those of you presently lacking in fresh produce xD.  This stand is ~ 7 miles from my house.

Underwood is a good sized operation.  They sell at a number of farmers markets, have farm tours for kids, a u-pick business and the farm stand. I used to get a CSA box from them but they discontinued that.  Fun fact:  Underwood grows all the red jalapeños for Huy Fong Sriracha.  I used to get a bottle of it in my CSA box every now and again.  

It's still early in the season but the vegetables were looking particularly lovely this morning.

Carrots of various shapes and colors:

IMG_1184.thumb.jpg.d2ceb3504538420eb01ea2ca6683526b.jpg

Beets and turnips:

IMG_1185.thumb.jpg.681c9595de5438d79bc015be0f3c3b3f.jpg

Lettuces, greens, radishes, cilantro, cauliflower of various sorts:

IMG_1188.thumb.jpg.11fabce7ebfa91d73fe72059ebef8cd6.jpg

More greens, fennel, parsley, green onion, broccoli, leeks, several kinds of kale, celery, collards and cabbages

IMG_1187.thumb.jpg.d3ca92f6f7742c9a5cd46e70d393eb97.jpg

They also had English peas, sugar snaps and fava beans, Brussels sprouts, broccolini, avocados, citrus and strawberries. 

On the not-so-good side, I should have taken a picture of the very sorry looking, locally grown rhubarb they were selling for $3.99/lb. That would have made those of you still enduring the cold weather feel better :D

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

This is more of a farm stand than a market but I'll put it here anyway. I forgot to buy green onions at the farmers market yesterday and my parsley got frozen in the fridge so I decided to visit Underwood Family Farms to pick up those items, some more fava beans and a few more photos to annoy those of you presently lacking in fresh produce xD

Underwood is a good sized operation.  They sell at a number of farmers markets, have farm tours for kids, a u-pick business and the farm stand. I used to get a CSA box from them but they discontinued that.  Fun fact:  Underwood grows all the red jalapeños for Huy Fong Sriracha.  I used to get a bottle of it in my CSA box every now and again. 

It's still early in the season but the vegetables were looking particularly lovely this morning.

Carrots of various shapes and colors:

IMG_1184.thumb.jpg.d2ceb3504538420eb01ea2ca6683526b.jpg

Beets and turnips:

IMG_1185.thumb.jpg.681c9595de5438d79bc015be0f3c3b3f.jpg

Lettuces, greens, radishes, cilantro, cauliflower of various sorts:

IMG_1188.thumb.jpg.11fabce7ebfa91d73fe72059ebef8cd6.jpg

More greens, fennel, parsley, green onion, broccoli, leeks, several kinds of kale, celery, collards and cabbages

IMG_1187.thumb.jpg.d3ca92f6f7742c9a5cd46e70d393eb97.jpg

They also had English peas, sugar snaps and fava beans, Brussels sprouts, broccolini, avocados, citrus and strawberries. 

On the not-so-good side, I should have taken a picture of the very sorry looking, locally grown rhubarb they were selling for $3.99/lb. That would have made those of you still enduring the cold weather feel better :D