• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eastern Noodles

Pumpkin Lover

No way menupages or citysearch would have this. All I could tell from the review is that it's on Eldridge Street. Is the address included in the print version?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

A small quote from the review is customary for posterity:

The menu is apparently only in Chinese, and English speaking skills are not good. As Eastern Noodles specializes in hand pulled noodles, the following advice is offered.

The upper left-hand quadrant [of the menu] is a list of hand-pulled noodles in soup with different types of meat. Those are what you want to eat . . . The first item listed in the hand-pulled section is beef, the specialty of the house. . . . Once you've secured your beef soup ($4), a bowl of steaming hot broth filled with the wonderfully irregular noodles, tender pieces of beef, baby bok choy and a pinch of pungent pickled greens, customize it with oil-pickled peppers or with the mix of cilantro leaves (for aroma) and stems (for crunch) sitting in plastic quart containers in the pass-through window.

--

It's featured in today's "$25 and Under" column.

Anyone got an address for this place? Either I'm blind or the article doesn't list it. Menupages and Citysearch don't have addresses for it either.

27 Eldridge St.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

My hero! Thanks, JJ.

No problem :smile:; I finally found the print version. If you check it out, please report back!

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I tried the beef hand-pulled noodles for lunch today. The bowl came with a nice mix of beef -- including meat, tendon and connective tissue -- sliced baby bok choy, and a touch of pickled vegetable (maybe mustard green?) Chopped cilantro and a diced-pepper hot sauce were available at the counterfront. While the noodles were pulled to order as described in the NYT piece, they lacked any toothsomeness. Not overcooked, just no gluten chew. Maybe this is the authentic style for the region, but it was not to my liking nonetheless. The soup was quite basic, neither good nor bad.

The menu is fairly simple. Hand-pulled (fresh) and regular (dried) noodles on the left side, with thin and rice noodles on the right. The following is my best guess for the eight entries under the hand-pulled section, top to bottom:

Beef- $4

Mixed (probably organ) beef- $4

Ox tail- $4.50

Spareribs (pork?)- $4

(Some kind of) lamb- $5

Duck- $5

Vegetable- $3

(Pickled?) Vegetable- $3

Each of the other three sections has one less option and the order is changed in some cases. The above information should be sufficient to figure out the permutations. The back of the menu has fish balls and other assorted items. The hand-written list on the wall also had two or three items not on the takeout menu, but I didn't bother writing them down.

Is there anywhere in Chinatown or the rest of Manhattan that serves freshly pulled and chewy (in a good way) noodles? Good soup would be a bonus. A couple places in Elmhurst and Flushing were promising, but I'm not sure that they're still around. Maybe this would need to go into a new thread.

Happy eating,

Mumon

Eastern Noodles

27 Eldridge St. (just south of Canal)

New York, NY 10002

646-613-1023

9am-8:30pm

The Grand St. (B/D) stop is probably closest.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just got an email from them - looks like they've reopened in new digs at 28 Forsyth Street - with some new items on their menu. Can't wait to check it out.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...