• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pot Roast

Marlene

I picked up a lovely inside blade pot roast the other day. It's been quite a while since I made a pot roast, and the last time I recall I did it in my slow cooker. This one is a little big for the slow cooker as my slow cooker is round not oval,unless I cut it in half, which somehow seems wrong to me (I don't know why it does, but it does).

So I'm looking for suggestions and recipes to try this a different way. Help me! :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I like the one I've been making lately from Marcella Says.

It is braised with pancetta, red wine vinegar, garlic, anchovies and a little water. Different and delicious.

As for cutting it in half, I often do this to make a roast fit in my slow cooker. Then I do "Italian Beef" by dumping in beef broth, Italian dressing mix, pepperoncinis with a little of their juice, red pepper flakes & oregano. I use the meat to make incredibly good shredded beef sandwiches on crusty rolls with melted provolone. Yum.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I just pulled out my new copy of Molly Steven's All About Braising, and she has a few good-sounding suggestions. Yankee Pot Roast Redux (braised in white wine or hard cider and stock with thyme and root vegetables) sounds like what I most often do with a blade or chuck. Then there's a Stracotta with Garlic and Pancetta (red wine, stock, grappa or brandy and aromatics). Then there's a Zinfandel Pot Roast with Glazed Carrots and Fresh Sage (which she describes as "a dinner party pot roast). All of these sound really yummy. PM me if you want some recipes, or better yet, if you need to buy a new cookbook, buy this one; it's absolutely wonderful.

I prefer to braise in the oven. I suppose this in in part due to the fact that I have so few cupboards now that the crock pot is in the basement storage room, and I have so few outlets.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I never need to buy a new cookbook, but it doesn't stop me from buying them. Actually, I'd like to get more into braising and this book sounds like just the thing!

Marlene

For this cut of meat I like to do the wrap in aluminum foil and cook for a very long time at a low temperature in the oven.

I don't use the onion soup mix, but do season the meat well. I place it on a layer of carrots and celery, then cover the meat with a mound of sliced onions, thinly sliced garlic, sliced mushrooms and drizzle with a little olive oil.

I wrap it tightly in heavy foil, then wrap it a second time, place it in a shallow baking dish or sheet pan and put it in the oven at 225 for at least 3 hours, if it goes longer, no problem.

Usually at this point is is litterly falling apart and I simply boil new potatoes, split them in half and slide the entire contents of the foil, including the juices, on top of the potatoes on a platter.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

For pot roast, I also go for the LC in the oven. I do use the crock pot sometimes if I want to set it on low and be gone all day. One day I did this really ridiculous "recipe" and it became a favorite. I had a really nice chuck roast in hand. It had called my name at the grocery. I had the leftovers of this really big bottle of Pace Picante Sauce that was used in a really big batch of Texas Caviar for a big do. With about two cups of the picante, a sliced up onion or two, a few cloves of garlic roughly chopped, and some added jalapenos, I had the makings of a South of the Border Pot Roast. It was incredibly good. Do NOT knock Pace Picante for cooking if you haven't tried it. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I did a really nice "Mediterranean" braise a couple of weekends ago on snowy Saturday with houseguests. Traditional method, but with artichoke hearts (I keep frozen ones from Trader Joe's in my freezer for "emergencies"), sliced fennel, various cured olives I had lurking in the back of my fridge, and I seasoned with rosemary and fennel seed and garnished with lemon zest. I would have liked basil, but I couldn't keep the fresh going in my window past the fall but the rosemary is doing great and running to the store wasn't an option. I made a cucumber and feta with vinaigrette side and it was a great snowed in dinner. It sort of inspired me to come up with more themes on braising. Asian with star anise, cinnamon, Thai eggplants, fresh grated coconut? Mexican with chocolate and ground and fresh chiles? The possibilities are endless.

I love to braise.

For a good "family style" pot roast I often make Jaques Pepin's - from the Jacque and Julia Cookbook. Very tasty! I cook it in my round LC.

Have often add dumplings for the last bit and cook them in the broth on top of the stove for the last 20 minutes. A great winter time dish.

Life is short, eat dessert first

To me, the most important step in any slow cooked or braised beef is browning. Therefore, even if I'm going to slow cook the meat in the crock pot, I thoroughly brown it on the stove over pretty high heat. Put a little oil in the pan, dust the meat with a little flour and salt and pepper and brown it as well as you can. I usually sautee onions, pancetta, or whatever in the browning pan and deglaze with the braising liquid and/or wine. Make sure you do this if you're transferring to a crock pot because all the good flavor is in that stew!

The browning takes a little time and messes up another pan, but it's worth it.

I wrap it tightly in heavy foil, then wrap it a second time...

I like to use the Reynolds Aluminum Foil "Hot Bags". They're basically pre-formed heavy-duty foil sacks with one side open. I slide the roast and other goodies inside and then just fold it closed. They can also be used on the grill.

I make a "white trash" :wink: brisket. I put the roast in the bag, top it with a packet of that lovely onion dip, add some BBQ sauce and a about a cup of red wine. Slow roasted, it just falls apart and I think the gravy this makes is scrumptious.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My husband is picking up a Le Cruset for me on the way home. He doesn't even ask anymore :biggrin:

I bought a couple of these roasts since they were on sale, and I've had several PM's and emails with recipes, plus I need to find this book! I see pot roast as a regular occurance on my menu for a while.

Marlene

To me, the most important step in any slow cooked or braised beef is browning.  Therefore, even if I'm going to slow cook the meat in the crock pot, I thoroughly brown it on the stove over pretty high heat.  Put a little oil in the pan, dust the meat with a little flour and salt and pepper and brown it as well as you can.  I usually sautee onions, pancetta, or whatever in the browning pan and deglaze with the braising liquid and/or wine.  Make sure you do this if you're transferring to a crock pot because all the good flavor is in that  stew!

The browning takes a little time and messes up another pan, but it's worth it.

Ah yes. Don't forget the browning step. I neglected to mention this in the picante sauce post.

The only time I don't do the browning step is for my recipe for "Aggie Brisket." This can also be done with chuck roast. Originally it called for double wrapping in foil. Then I discovered the Reynolds Cooking Bags. These are much easier and don't leak. The Aggie Brisket involves a lot of seasoning on the meat (primarily lemon pepper and granulated garlic in the original) and the addition of three to four cups of double strong coffee. It seems that the coffee provides the "brown" component to the flavor. It really doesn't taste of coffee.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

My husband is picking up a Le Cruset for me on the way home.  He doesn't even ask anymore :biggrin:

You can always blame it on fifi!

Did you specify color, shape and size? Or, will he call you from the store commenting that there are a ton of choices?

Well I specified shape - oval and size I think I said 5 qts. too big too small? As far as colour goes I said I didn't care, but that red is pretty.

Marlene

I like the Flame but the Red is nice too.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I like the Flame but the Red is nice too.

Red matches my Irish temper :biggrin: I honestly don't care what colour but I am interested in whether or not 5 qts is the right size for this sort of thing.

Marlene

[... 5 qts is the right size for this sort of thing.

Yes, Marlene, 5 qts is an excellent choice - roomy enough for pot roast, coq au vin, carbonnade de boeuf, and many of the Molly Stevens recipes, yet not so big that you won't be able to lift it. I can't lift one of my larger ones once it's filled. That's unsafe. Did you say round or oval? Oups, you did say oval. Good choice!

Edited by Safran (log)

I said oval, but I could live with round. There's a really cute 2 1/2 qt one but I'm thinking that will be too small.

Marlene

I said oval, but I could live with round.  There's a really cute 2 1/2 qt one but I'm thinking that will be too small.

Way too small... Put that one on the "get when it's on sale" list because it can be handy for some things.

Yep, go with the 5 quart (actually 5-1/2 quart, as I recall) to start with. I have both (thanks to a recent purchase of the larger one) and know I'll be using that one frequently. Maybe you could just say "get both!"

.  Maybe you could just say "get both!"

Why not? :biggrin: What does the little one come in handy for anyway? I just thought it was cute.

Marlene

I have a recipe for short ribs that I have used for pot roast which sounds odd but make a great tangy sauce: crushed pineapple, heinz chili sauce, beef stock, honey, garlic, worchestshire sauce. I think the original recipe might have been off of Epicurious.

Brown the meat, add the seasoning and cook for a long time over a low temp or in a low temp oven.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

Molly Stevens' book is great; not only (!) recipes but also lots of extra information about braising. I made the stracotta and it was great. I usually make anything braised the day before I want to eat it. It tastes better, you can get that thick layer of fat off the top after it'sbeen refrigerated and also the itming works for me. It's great for this time of year in a cold climnate; the warmth of the oven and the great smells throughout the house really help overcome the chill surrounding us. Marlene, enjoy whatever you do with that LC.

If more of us valued food & cheer & song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien