• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DMNews Italian Sausage Contest Winners

From a recent Texas Food Media DIGEST entry by Raynickben:

The Dallas Morning News: Food and Wine

As promised it is the results of the Italian Sausage contest.  Article by Kim Pierce.

Results.  Central Market is not going to be happy.....

From the article

Despite a relatively small Italian population, Dallas is wild about Italian sausage. No fewer than 11 places custom-blend their own.

But no matter how good the individual blends might be, the legacy of Al's Import Foods — gone since 1995 from the corner of Park Lane and Greenville Avenue — still influences local tastes. The store's sausage is still held up as the gold standard in Dallas.

Kuby's sausages have been a long time favorite of mine. What are your favorite sausage makers in the DFW area?

Rudolf's Sweet Italian (sold in a long coil rather than links) is my go-to and I try to make a point of always having some in the freezer. In fact I just took some out for tonight's meal. Central's is pretty good but Rudolf's is just much richer and more subtle I think in its flavoring. And frustratingly, CM Plano seems to often be out of just plain pork Italian sausage.

Never tried Kuby's though I hear great things. I need to make and excursion down there.

Ah yes I read the article, quite interesting.

All though not "in Dallas" my favorite Italian sausage is http://www.loveras-italian.com/ in Krebs Oklahoma.

Now in Dallas I must admit I used to love Al's. Pretty funny really in a previous life many moons ago, I used to own the pay phones outside of Al's :raz:

I have purchased sausage from Kuby's for many years as well. There is no question that they will be within the top two in any local Sausage contest.

It does surprise me that Hirsch's did not do better. I frequently purchase sausage there mainly because they are two blocks from my house :laugh: I simply don't see a big enough difference between them and Kuby's for normal sausage purchases.

Now if I am having a cookout Kuby's is still my prime choice, that is if I am not in the mood for a road trip :laugh:

Never trust a skinny chef

Is Hersch's the one in Plano?  In the old shopping center off Parker with the closed grocery store?

Yep Parker & Custer. Been there for many years. Next door to the Gym where Carly Paterson was trained :rolleyes:

Ah yes I read the article, quite interesting. 

All though not "in Dallas"  my favorite Italian sausage is http://www.loveras-italian.com/ in Krebs Oklahoma. 

Now in Dallas I must admit I used to love Al's.  Pretty funny really in a previous life many moons ago, I used to own the pay phones outside of Al's :raz:

I have purchased sausage from Kuby's for many years as well.  There is no question that they will be within the top two in any local Sausage contest.

It does surprise me that Hirsch's did not do better.  I frequently purchase sausage there mainly because they are two blocks from my house :laugh:  I simply don't see a big enough difference between them and Kuby's for normal sausage purchases. 

Now if I am having a cookout Kuby's is still my prime choice, that is if I am not in the mood for a road trip :laugh:

wow i know just the place in krebs u r talking about..been up there a time or two...i have to agree with u..their sausage is wonderful..just walking in the door is a real treat for the nose...the place smells wonderful and off topic they have this wonderful cheese......

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Richard, Krebs is just outside of McAlister in northeast Oklahoma, actually more east central, but we claim it. It is about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from Dallas. Take 75 north, the 4 lane will turn into 69. And try the Choc beer, the only beer brewed from indian recipes in Oklahoma. Along the way, before you get to Atoka, beware of speedtraps here , you will pass Cimmaron cellars. Stop off and try a wine tasting.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I normally stop at Krebs on the way to Arkansas and then on the way back if possible. There are actually many Italian businesses in Krebs. Krebs is just outside Mcallaster on the way to Lake Eufaula, on the edge of the Oklahoma hill country.