• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Latour

rhubarbd

I intend to hit here soon as my kids live in Vernon. I'll report back but it won't be for at least 3 weeks. Cody Kendall was very impressed, gave it 4 stars. We'll see as I haven't really agreed with her recently on a few places. Then again, she reviewed me after I had been open only 4 weeks and only gave me 2 1/2 stars. That was 10 years ago. I still don't agree with her about that. :wink:

Latour is expensive, but my visit was wonderful. The intimate room is up in a tower with the western wall being all glass. Unfortunately the weather was bleak during my visit, but I can only imagine what it would be like at sunset..

There is a multi-course tasting menu, but also three course prix fixe options. The wine selections and cellar are unbelievable.

• 4 months later...

I had the pleasure of dinner at Restaurant Latour (RL) this last Sunday. My culinary group had a special dinner. We also had one recently at Stage Left. By far, RL blew the socks off the offering at Stage left.

1st our Menu and Wine selections:

Reception: Champagne, Besserat de Bellfon, Rose, n/v

Hors d’oeuvres: Tuna Tartare with Wasabi Crème Fraiche in Sesame Cones; Chopstick Shrimp with Sweet Chili Sauce; Tartlette of Saffron Ratatouille; Hudson Valley Foie Gras Mousse with Pear Relish.

First Course: “Crab Sandwich”

Softshell Crab on Toasted Brioche with Garden Frisee, Oven Dried Plum Tomatoes, Lemon Caper Remoulade

Puligny-Montrachet, 1er Cru, Aux Combettes, Domaine Jacques Prieur 1998

Middle Course: Fava Bean Agnolotti, Applewood Smoked Bacon Lardoons, Chanterelle Mushrooms, Braised Oxtail, and Micro Greens

San Felice, Vigorella, Super-Tuscan, 1997

Main Course: Colorado Rack of Lamb, Toasted Israeli Couscous, Haricot Vert, Sweet Garlic Chips, Rosemary Demi-Glace

Chateau Haut-Brion, Graves, 1990

Dessert Sampler: Ricotta Crème Brulee; Fresh Spring Berries; Triple Layer Chocolate Malt Parfait

Adelsheim, “Deglaze” Pinot Noir, Late Harvest, Oregon

Coffee, Selection of Teas

We were 45 people. Few restaurants, we hold dinners at, can serve 45 dinners at the same time that were as exceptionally prepared as these.

The Crab sandwich was outstanding. The crab was crunchy, the remoulade was subtle. The wine paired well. It was rich, matured and developed. A hint of oak, with good fruit, minerality, and no vanilla.

The Agnoloti was very interesting. I particulary enjoyed the Chanterelles which were about 1/2" to 1" long --- whole. Reminded me of a lunch I had at a hilltop restaurant in Valpolicella, Italy. The Vigorella was in full bloom. A blend of Sangiovese and Cabernet, aged in Limouisine Barriques for 20 months and then 12 more in the bottle. The color was almost black. Historically this is the 1st Super Tuscan made. Deliciously filling the mouth, decent nose, and held its own against the rich and flavorful Agnoloti dish.

The Lamb came out perfectly warm and beautifully pink. Cooked to just the right temperature. If I were to complain and it is small, I did not like the way the Couscous was prepared. I found it a little dry. The Demi-Glace was redolent with Rosemary and the Haut Brion just cleaned my pallet with every swallow. Not as dark as the Vigorella it showed plenty of tannins and fruit. Previously decanted before arriving at out table the wine had that classsic Haut Brion fragrance, a tremendous burst of flavor with the typical hint of smoke known to many Pessac wines. There are many years ahead for this wine to develop.

Desert was anti-climactic. The parfait being outstanding. The desert wine was delicious. Made like an Ice Wine, sweet but not cloying, syrupy but with no profound nose, 17.5% residual sugar. My understanding is that it is not available to the public, but is from the personal production of David Adelsheim.

John Benjamin the Chef brought all his skills that day to make our meal one of the best I have had with our group and definitley in the three I have had in New Jersey personally.

The dining staff under Heidi Dalton was well trained and accomodating.

The wine cellar could very well be the best in the state and probably high ranking in the country. I took a picture for example of a case of 1982 Petrus probably $32,000 worth of liquid. Leaning against it was a pristine 1959 Mouton Rothschild. They also have plenty of table wines to choose from, at lower price ranges.

My real complaints were directed by myself to the owner personally.

1. There is no web site for the restaurant. If you Google "Restaurant Latour at Crystal Spings" you really have to work hard to figure out much about the restaurant. (Actually the card for the restaurant Shows Crystal Springs Country Club, One Wild Turkey Way, Hardyston as the address. The restaurant being part of the Country Club.

2. Having directions I got from Map Quest got me close, but there is little signage to help you. When you finally find Crystal Springs (the housing Complex) the sign says the restaurant is 2.1 miles ahead. But, there is no further signage and the road ends with a choice of going right or left.

Restaurant Latour

Reservations: 973-827-0548

Dinner Weds- Sat : 5-9

Sun: 3-7

Viejo

Edited by viejomajadero (log)

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).

Welcome to eGullet Viejomajadero & thanks for your report. Where else do you like to dine in NJ?

Rosie

I have been a member for years contrary to what the bio says. Just have not written for a long time.

Thanks

Viejo

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).

Restaurant Latour received an "excellent" from David Corcoran in the NJ section of the NY Times on June 12, 2005.

Rosie

The review was almost as good as mine :biggrin:

Viejo