• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pics of Coconut Grater Machine

Tepee

Sorry I'm so late. The pics are not very good; I didn't want to hold up the long queue of people waiting for their coconuts, who, incidentally were pretty amused by me taking shots of such a common contraption.

As you can see from the grated coconut in the catchment tub, there are lots of brown bits. These are not a problem at all for milk extraction. However, if we specify to the grocer (a sweet elderly man who didn't want his pic taken) to do the whites only, then you'll see much more left over in the shell, unlike those in the third picture which are quite cleanly shaven.

gallery_12248_157_12488.jpg

gallery_12248_157_29187.jpg

gallery_12248_157_58906.jpg

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Great pics.

Thanks so much for posting them.

Now I want one of the gadgets.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I had no idea that that is how it is done. How ingenious. Do they use a band saw to cut them in half?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

... Do they use a band saw to cut them in half?

:biggrin: Nope, the guy very deftly holds the coconut with his left hand and whacks it with a parang (long knife). Splits right away.'Course, this way, the coconut water is not saved.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

we had a contraption like that in our kitchen. actually, in the 'service verandha'(i have NO idea why the passage outside the kitchen that leads to the garden was called that, but thats what it was) and it was mounted over a shelf. the serrated 'cone' on one end and a rotating handle on the other. another option was the 'aruvamanai'. This is the only google link that turned up. PPT, but hey! Page 15. I have never used this as it is quite a dangerous contraption. Someone from the India forum may be able to give more detailed info.

Re machines, there is 'Anjali' brand coconut graters for home kitchen use. It is small, very handy and rather plasticy.Summet's 'Ultra' wet grinder machines come with a coconut grater attachment. Elgi Ultra website.. I dont think you can get the coconut grater attachment if you buy it in the States because of some weird restriction. Probably because it is deemed unsafe and dangerous by US import laws. It can easily become a weapon. If you annoy the missus, that is.

Tepee, you *can* save the coconut water and I LOVE it! Coconut turns me off, but I *love* the sweet coconut water! At home, its usually broken with a longish knife or with a hammer(as my mother does it). My grandmother used to simply break it by tapping it over the grinding stone. I say 'tap', but I have *never* been able to duplicate that technique. The trick is to do it with one swift blow to allow the first crack to appear or the edges will be jagged. If the crack line' is straight, you get two perfect coconut shell halves. You simply crack it open slightly first and 'drain' the coconut water before splitting it into two halves.

edited to add: found it!! Anjali coconut scrapper! A non-plastic and metal(iron, probably?) version of this was mounted on top of a shelf so one can grate the coconut halves standing up. It is done in a jiffy!

Edited by FaustianBargain (log)

another option was the 'aruvamanai'. This is the only google link that turned up. PPT, but hey! Page 15. I have never used this as it is quite a dangerous contraption. Someone from the India forum may be able to give more detailed info.

also known as bonti

An interesting blade is found on the kuruni, a bonti used for the specific purpose of grating coconuts. In this type of bonti, the blade curves out of the wooden base in the usual way, but its tip is crowned with a round, serrated piece of metal. The cook sits in front of the kuruni with the front end of its base on a woven mat or tray, or even on a piece of newspaper. Holding one half of a fresh coconut in both hands, she scrapes it with circular motions against the metal disk as the coconut flesh rains down in a gentle stream of white.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com