• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French Lentils

Hi,

I'm looking for French lentils lentilles du Puy, which are smaller and dark green compared to our red, brown, and yellow lentils. The French lentils hold up well in dishes when they need to be served alone, unlike the American ones that get mushy after a half hour of cooking and are pretty much reserved for soup.

Anyone know of a local source?

Thanks!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I'm pretty sure that Madison Market has them...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

My officemate says Whole Foods has them, too, in the bulk section (very cheaply). I think we've covered everyone but Safeway and Albertsons now.  :biggrin:

~A

Yep, that's where I buy mine.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

I've seen them at Met Mart on QA and at Trader Joe's.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Jordi just bought some today at the U Village QFC, but had to search for them. They are in the "imported beans" section. Not your regular old bean section.

We are serving them this week with Armandino's salami cotto, FYI.

I buy mine at 7-11.

:raz:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I had that lentil-and-salumi dish a couple of weeks ago, and it was yummy!

We did that last time with Salumi's cotechino which is a sort of fatty but yummy sausage made from various pork "parts". This week's dish is with an actual salami which is larger in diameter than regular salami and meant to be grilled. It has a lot more flavor and is not as rich as the cotechino and is horribly :shock: addictive. The lentils are super good with the salami cotto and a classic italian pairing.

We will offer it as an appetizer at Lago. See how it goes...

oops, someone already covered my suggestion above... (Trader Joe's) :wub:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

In Portland:

New Seasons (bulk)

Sheridan (bulk)

Pastaworks has the real Umbrian lenticchie...good but pricey.

I suspect the "French" lentils we get here in bulk are grown out in the Palouse, but I couldn't get a definitive answer from the WA lentil commission (it actually has an even nerdier name but I can't remember it).

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Okay, okay, OKAY!!!! :laugh: I picked some up at the gas station on the way home tonight. :raz:

Obviously this hasn't been on my radar before.

Tomorrow in culinary school we're supposed to bring a carbonated cola beverage originating in Atlanta, Georgia and invented by Doctor John Pemberton late in the century previous to the last one, and, for a time, the ingredients included extract of cocaine. Any suggestions?

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I haven't seen le puy lentils at TJ's in a long time. Are they really there?

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

Okay, okay, OKAY!!!!  :laugh: I picked some up at the gas station on the way home tonight.  :raz:

Obviously this hasn't been on my radar before.

Tomorrow in culinary school we're supposed to bring a carbonated cola beverage originating in Atlanta, Georgia and invented by Doctor John Pemberton late in the century previous to the last one, and, for a time, the ingredients included extract of cocaine. Any suggestions?

Why would anyone ask you to take Coca-Cola to a cooking class, or have they been watching too much Iron Chef? :raz:

Rocky

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)

The stock at TJ's varies depending on product availability. I checked my cupboard last night, and I got Du Puy's there in the fall. Apparently, if you can't get them there, just go anywhere in town! :wink:

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

We visited Castelluccio, the mountain village in Umbria renowned for its lentils, in October 2001. Only one of the tiny town's bars was open, and when we walked in we joined a couple of grizzled frarmers watching the ground zero memorial with Bocelli singin Ave Maria. After that small world moment, we ordered some food, including, of course, a bowl of lenticchie.

At one point Judith began to sprinkle some Parmigiano over her lentils, and as I glanced at one of the farmers, he wagged his finger and said, "non formaggio."

We talked a bit (struggling with my crappy Italian), and he explained that cheese masks the delicate flavor of the lentils. I asked him how he cooked them, and he said, "solo aglio, olio, sedano, sale, e aqua...non formaggio."

So that's how I've cooked lentils ever since. I'm still hoarding a bag iof lenticchie al Castelluccio in the freezer.

Lenticchie al Mauro (Mauro was the farmer's name)

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 cup extra virign olive oil

1 stalk celery, small dice

salt to taste

1 c small green lentils (also called French or du Puy)

cook the garlic in the olive oil over medium-low heat for a couple of minutes, being careful not to let the garlic brown

add the celery and cook another couple of minutes

add the lentils, water to cover (2-3 cups), and a good pinch of sea salt. bring to gentle boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15-20 minutes or until lentils are tender but not too soft

adjust salt and drizzle with more extra virgin olive oil

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food