• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Confit

rascal

Okay - I've been using my pork confit a lot like this picture:

gallery_19995_4798_118381.jpg

Browned the confit until crispy, with radish/lettuce and hot sauce on a crisped corn tortilla.

I really enjoy this (the vegetables vary, but the concept remains the same), but the Butt confit is never-ending. Any fresh ideas for the rest of it? Rillettes? Anything else creative?

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

• 7 months later...

I delved into the depths of my freezer today and discovered that I have a whole container of pork confit, completely immersed in lard and frozen for almost a year. It would be a shame to throw out -- any opinions on whether it would be safe to eat?

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

I made pork belly confit (in duck fat) for new years. I was the hit of the meal. Definitely recommended. Funny ending...one of our guests was trying to help out in the kitchen and poured all the duck fat down the drain. I was in mid-scream as the last of it was disappearing. Oh well.

Anyone who says I'm hard to shop for doesn't know where to buy beer.

I delved into the depths of my freezer today and discovered that I have a whole container of pork confit, completely immersed in lard and frozen for almost a year. It would be a shame to throw out -- any opinions on whether it would be safe to eat?

Cured, protected and frozen like that: I'd sniff it, and if it didn't smell rancid, I'd eat it. The worst that might happen, I think, is freezer burn.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown