• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cloud Dining Lounge to open in Dupont Circle

Rich Pawlak

What exactly is the Eruo clubbing thing?
Did anyone ever check this place out? Going there with some girlfriends tonight.  They usually do the Euro clubby thing so I'm hoping this is a little less pretentious.

Wear lots of over priced black and look down your nose at people who dare to wear less expensive black, all the while drink the new hip drink whether you like it or not.

Don't foget that the women have to be anorexic arm candy and the guys have to have more grease in their hair than in the transmission of their small penis compensating 6 figure sports cars.

As a Rude Euro, I feel compelled to stand up to you dissers of black-wearin' arm candy. We have feelings, too, you know.

(Feeling charitable, I will speak up for drivers of sports cars as well. Do you think the dealerships make them drop their pants before completing a purchase?)

Resident Twizzlebum

Thats not Euro, thats moronic and insecure Americans. God DC is full more more so-called 'hip and trendy places' that are neither (note to readers of Washingtonian, if the magazine calls a place 'hip' it either never was hip or ceased to be hip last year).

Why people insist on calling this behavior, which is either American, Persian, Arab, Russin, etc. EURO is beyond me. I have been to more clubs is Europe that are waaaay more laid back and about the music than you can shake a stick at in wannabe-DC (clubs like ESL, Platnium, 1223, Dream, etc). A place like 1223 with its hairdressers and car dealers all dolled up would not last 15 minutes in Paris or Berlin where they have real clubs.

Don't be so insecure everyone!

PS: The cloud place will almost for sure be very Spank-like. Expect bottle service and plenty of black.

Did anyone ever check this place out? Going there with some girlfriends tonight.  They usually do the Euro clubby thing so I'm hoping this is a little less pretentious.

Wear lots of over priced black and look down your nose at people who dare to wear less expensive black, all the while drink the new hip drink whether you like it or not.

Edited by DCMark (log)

I love this patron review from the post:

Post on Cloud

while i usually do not mind upscale lounges, cloud (aka savino's) feels too contrived. the bed trend (circa 1999) seems to be a bit dated and gimmicky and the service our group received was certainly downscale. our server took orders and delivered drinks in a kind of emotionless way that would have made a pre-prison martha stewart proud. the bottom line is if you didn't like savino's (which apparently many of you did not) you probably won't like its current reincarnation. be warned lounge lovers, there's a dark cloud over dupont.

These drinks sound nasty:

The eponymous Cloud 9 marries vanilla vodka, pear juice and Prosecco. Or try the Star of India made with rose petals, rum, passion fruit juice, Sambuca and orange liqueur.

For me, nightlife is about much more than the venue. With the right friends, I can have a grand ol' time whether we're in a dive bar or somewhere with more attitude.

That said, if you're going to Cloud with friends and don't really care about who else is there, you'll probably enjoy the place. The food I tried at their opening was pretty good (and I thought the prices on the printed menu were reasonable; everything was gratis at the opening).

Some of the drinks on the menu sound gross and some are just too sweet, but I like the sweet/tart blood orange cosmo. One of my friends likes the rosemary drink...I think it's a martini variation.

I find all white interiors very threatening. You have to have perfect skin and very clean clothes.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)