• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

burger buns

Gary Marshall

question remains how do i bake a decent bun?

There was a recipe for burger buns in Gourmet a few years back. A friend made them several times and they were greate. Unfortunately, I've never been able to find the recipe on the epicurious web site.

Sorry to build you hopes then dash them. If anyone has this receipe, I'd love to get a copy of it.

Dan

This is the recipe that floats around the Cooking Light bulletin board... it's originally from the KA Flour message board.

"The following recipe created quite a stir when it was first posted on our “bakers sharing” site, www.bakingcircle.com. Baker after baker tried these buns and declared them THE BEST. Soft, vaguely sweet and golden-yellow from the butter and egg, these simple buns are perfect for burgers, but also fine for any kind of sandwich. Or shape them into round balls and crowd them close together in a pan to make dinner rolls. "

Moomie's Beautiful Burger Buns

1 cup water

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

1 egg

3 1/4 cups AP flour

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon instant yeast

Place all ingredients in your bread machine. Select dough. Allow to run cycle.

Dump out onto lightly floured surface. Divide into 8 pieces. With each piece, slap into a bun shape. Usually four or five slaps will do it. Place on greased cookie sheets or your bun pans, cover; rise about 30 to 40 minutes.

Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes till golden. Cool on wire racks. I like to add a teaspoon of onion powder and about 1/2 teaspoon dried onion to the dough in the bread machine. It makes a light onion-y flavor that is wonderful!

Ed. Note: Moomie’s right; you really can’t go wrong with these buns. If you don’t have a bread machine, simply mix and knead the dough by whatever method you prefer. Let it rise for about an hour before shaping into eight big buns.

Moomie's Beautiful Burger Buns

Here they are! They are lovely and soft and so easy to make. I will work on shaping them a little better next time. Thank you for this recipe RebeccaT.

gallery_6903_111_10070.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow those are beautiful, Anna. The shapes look perfect to me!

This recipe has been a staple since I first saw it on the King Arthur Baking Circle, where its reputation verged on mystique, and eventually it was published in KA's The Baking Sheet. It works like a dream, every time.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Wow those are beautiful, Anna.  The shapes look perfect to me!

This recipe has been a staple since I first saw it on the King Arthur Baking Circle, where its reputation verged on mystique, and eventually it was published in KA's The Baking Sheet.  It works like a dream, every time.

Next time I make them, maybe tomorrow, I will make 10 buns rather than 8 as we like a smaller bun for our burgers. But I am really pleased. I treated four of them as "brown n serve", cooking them for a longer time at a lower temperature. I have frozen them and will see how they work out. Brown n serve would be ideal for us as we are just two much of the time.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

The 3 1/4 cups flour in the recipe, did you dip your cup into the flour bag and level (a packed flour), spoon the flour from the flour bag into a measuring cup, or did you pour your flour into a measuring bowl (looser flour)?

Thanks.

Jay

The 3 1/4 cups flour in the recipe, did you dip your cup into the flour bag and level (a packed flour), spoon the flour from the flour bag into a measuring cup, or did you pour your flour into a measuring bowl (looser flour)?

Thanks.

Jay

Dip and level.

My 2004 eG Blog