• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Il Pizzaiolo, Pittsburgh

Pizza Napoletana

Il Pizzaiolo is one of my favorite restaurants, possibly tops in the South Hills. As much as I love the pizzas, it's the pastas that seal the deal for me. Oh, and the outdoor seating out back is among the best al fresco dining in town.

My only complaint (and this is entirely selfish) is that they acquired a liquor license. I enjoyed it more as a BYOB restaurant; however, I can't fault them for the change.

I'm pretty sure there is some sort of relationship between Il Pizzaiolo and another of the top Italian restaurants in town, Girasole. Somebody is married to somebody or somebody trained under somebody...I can't recall. Whatever the case, both places seem so subscribe to the theory that fresh and simple is best.

• 2 years later...
I had their pizza last week and is now better then ever. No 1 Pizzeria in America.

If you haven't been there yet, now is the ideal time to visit.

Ron had a crew of Neapolitans remove the old brick oven and build an new one just two weeks ago in order to be even "more authentic" to the Napoli roots.

We haven't been since the oven rebuild, but the arugula/prosciutto pie is our favorite in town.

And the wine bar, Enotera, keeps improving. Staff seemed much more knowledgeable on the So. Italy offerings on our last visit.

Rich Westerfield

Mt. Lebanon, PA

Drinking great coffee makes you a better lover.

There is no scientific data to support this conclusion, but try to prove otherwise. Go on. Try it. Right now.

Do you work for Pizzaiolo? Dont you think you should state that you are friendly with the owners and get paid by them before you start calling this place the best pizza in the country.. I went there and had a nice couple of pizzas.. I certainly would not call this place the best in the country.. You calling this the best pizza place in the country on a different thread (several mentions in an Alabama thread, and mentions in a New York Thread) got me there and it was above average to very good.

Edited by Daniel (log)

I Do not work for il Pizzaiolo and live in UK and was born in Naples.

I am a P/T Pizzamaker consultant (edited and involved with Equipment selection)and work F/T in the food Industry

I have been in quite few places, including few famous pizzeria in the NYC and Ron at Il Pizzaiolo is doing the best job that side of the Atlantic. Obviously we need to look at what is the best pizza for an individual. If you, like me, consider the finest Pizza Napoletana to be the best pizza, then Il Pizzaiolo is there.

In any case, anyone concern with quality ingredient and final product cannot say otherwise.

Just for the record, I may not be the only one that went to many places and think the same about il pizzaiolo... just readHERE

Ciao

Edited: I have many clients in the US, so It is not in my best interest to say that one was the best unless it was true.... Could you tell me then what you consider to be the best??? Thanks

Edited by Pizza Napoletana (log)

When you said you worked as a translator in the crew installing the pizza oven I figured you either had something to do with selling him the pizza oven, or doing some work with Pizzaiolo.. I just found it strange you were posting about this pizza place on random boards I.E New York and Alabama.. But if you have never received any money from doing business with them and you havent right?.. I can see its just your enthusiasm for this place..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I am a  P/T Pizzamaker consultant  (edited and involved with Equipment selection)and work F/T in the food Industry

I have been in quite few places, including few famous pizzeria in the NYC and Ron at Il Pizzaiolo is doing the best job that side of the Atlantic. Obviously we need to look at what is the best pizza for an individual. If you, like me, consider the finest Pizza Napoletana to be the best pizza, then Il Pizzaiolo is there.

In any case, anyone concern with quality ingredient and final product cannot say otherwise.

Just for the record, I may not be the only one that went to many places and think the same about il pizzaiolo... just readHERE

Ciao

Edited: I have many clients in the US, so It is not in my best interest to say that one was the best unless it was true....  Could you tell me then what you consider to be the best??? Thanks

So let me understand. You live in UK which I take to mean the United Kingdom and happened to be the translator for the crew installing either equipment you advised the restaurant to buy or equipment for a company you have a financial relationship with? Either way, it looks a little like shilling to me which is discouraged on these forums. Please feel free to correct me if I have misunderstod the situation.

I am a  P/T Pizzamaker consultant  (edited and involved with Equipment selection)and work F/T in the food Industry

Ciao

Edited: I have many clients in the US, so It is not in my best interest to say that one was the best unless it was true....  Could you tell me then what you consider to be the best??? Thanks

So let me understand. You live in UK which I take to mean the United Kingdom and happened to be the translator for the crew installing either equipment you advised the restaurant to buy or equipment for a company you have a financial relationship with? Either way, it looks a little like shilling to me which is discouraged on these forums. Please feel free to correct me if I have misunderstod the situation.

Ok, let's step back few steps....

I have a passion for Pizza Napoletana and have put a lot of effort in the last 4 years at least to promote the authenric Pizza Napoletana in US as well as worldwide. I was actually invited into egullet by one of the administrators that read my writing on Pizza....By doing this I have come across some terrible pizza and with no offence to anyone, in NYC for example, I had few of the worst ever, one from a pizzeria that had the "napoletana" name in it....

Anyway, I also had the chance to meet Ron among others, and my enthusiasm for him and his pizzeria comes from the fact that he put 100% effort to make the best possible Pizza, and I have to say that he succeed. In a country were Pizza Napoletana is badly represented, having a reference point as Il Pizzaiolo, for what I am trying to achieve in promoting the product Pizza Napoletana, is very positive.

The reference to il pizzaiolo in the Alabama thread and the NYC threads were all to do with talking about good pizza.

I re-posted in this post because Ron's made a further step to perfection by replacing the oven (which I have helped him source and I do not think there is something wrong with that), and I had a chance to try the pizza coming out of it and was even better then before.

Now, I can guess that may be hard for people that have never seen the difference, but only neapolitan ovens can manage to bake pizza in 30-45 seconds against the 2 minutes and 2 minutes 1/2 of any other wood oven.

I reccomand a place because I believe in it.

Daniel. again if you know better places let's discuss it. It is not a chalange, I would like to know where you are coming from. If there is a chance I know the place you like better then I can give my opinion of it, but as far as what I have tried, which by the majority were defined best places in US, Il Pizzaiolo is standing above them by far.

Ciao

I re-posted in this post because Ron's made a further step to perfection by replacing the oven (which I have helped him source and I do not think there is something wrong with that), and I had a chance to try the pizza coming out of it and was even better then before.

You're right, there is nothing wrong with helping a client "source" an oven. I am just finding it strange that you still have not told us if there was a financial relationship here. Most posters on EG Forums are upfront with any asociation to a place they are raving about as it qualifies their opinions to a certain extent. I am not suggesting that you are raving about this place purely for financial gain at all.. just come clean about the arrangement is all I'm saying if there is in fact a financial gain here.

I too share your passion for excellent pizza and would point you to Trenton New Jersey in your search for what I and many others claim is one of the best pizza's in the region if not the country. This place is Delorenzo's on Hudson Street in Trenton, NJ. It does not however qualify for true Napoletana pizza because they use standard blodgett ovens and do not us buffalo mozzarella to my knowledge. In any case, I think that you will find this pizza extraordinary in every sense.

I will certainly seek out Ron's place when I am next in that area

You're right, there is nothing wrong with helping a client "source" an oven. I am just finding it strange that you still have not told us if there was a financial relationship here. Most posters on EG Forums are upfront with any asociation to a place they are raving about as it qualifies their opinions to a certain extent. I am not suggesting that you are raving about this place purely for financial gain at all.. just come clean about the arrangement is all I'm saying if there is in fact a financial gain here.

I too share your passion for excellent pizza and would point you to Trenton New Jersey in your search for what I and many others claim is one of the best pizza's in the region if not the country. This place is Delorenzo's on Hudson Street in Trenton, NJ. It does not however qualify for true Napoletana pizza because they use standard blodgett ovens and do not us buffalo mozzarella to my knowledge. In any case, I think that you will find this pizza extraordinary in every sense.

I will certainly seek out Ron's place when I am next in that area

I am involved with forno napoletano, but have been recomanding Il Pizzaiolo for the last three years since I have tried it for the first time, while the oven was only installed 2 weeks ago.... So, no direct financial gain... I am recomanding a place and seeking review from others to see how well a good pizza is received over there. Same is when I have talked about the other places.

To be honest I am surprised to see that people would come up with something like that. If I was paid to advertise a place I would do it in a better way. Again, I have clients in US that have paid me directly large sum to consult them on Pizza making (not only ovens) and do not consider them to be the best. If someone do not agree with my opinion is fine... Again a quick read through google, pizzamaking.com and other places would tell you if I am alone in thinking like that. I did not post as much on the US threads as I did in the European threads, so obviously some of you may be suspicious, but to grade Il Pizzaiolo's pizza just above average, I would really like to understand the parameters of this person.

There is a lot of factors in food taste: culture, memory etc... But when an American write something like that after visiting so many places like the guy on pizzamaking.com (previous link provided) then it makes you think (or you may think he has financial gain too....)

People that I have shared pizza experience with, rated De Lorenzo lesser then places like Patsy's, Totonno's and Grimaldi, and those place are not even in the same league as Il Pizzaiolo. Anyway, I will try to make it to Trenton on my next visit to the States. Ed Levine feature De Lorenzo in his book "Pizza, A slice of heaven".

Sorry, but I see pizza from a ingredients sourcing, production technology and science (Biochemistry and Microbiology) as well as knowledge and service... That is what In MY OPinion can produce the best pizza, and that is the reason behind my statement.

Again if someone is out there near Pittsburgh, and want to try that pizza, i would like to know what they think about it... I would happy to discuss details

Ciao

People that I have shared pizza experience with, rated De Lorenzo lesser then places like Patsy's, Totonno's and Grimaldi, and those place are not even in the same league as Il Pizzaiolo. Anyway, I will try to make it to Trenton on my next visit to the States. Ed Levine feature De Lorenzo in his book "Pizza, A slice of heaven".

Ciao

OK, thanks for the clarification. Grimaldi and Totonno's both make fantastic pizza's. I'm not sure if even I would rate Delorenzo's better than those 2 places.

Love to meet you there if you can get to Trenton, I live about 1/2 hour away. It would be interesting to hear your critique. I am by no means a professional on any level, just a guy who appreciates excellence.

OK, thanks for the clarification. Grimaldi and Totonno's both make fantastic pizza's. I'm not sure if even I would rate Delorenzo's better than those 2 places.

I would, easily. Totonno's makes a nice white pie; I've never understood the fuss about their other pizzas. As far as Grimaldi's, the only explanation that comes to mind is that the extended wait and proximity to Brooklyn Bridge traffic exhaust induces severe delusions in most people. That pizza is just downright mediocre. Brooklyn Ice Cream factory next door, however, that's good stuff.

I would, easily. Totonno's makes a nice white pie; I've never understood the fuss about their other pizzas. As far as Grimaldi's, the only explanation that comes to mind is that the extended wait and proximity to Brooklyn Bridge traffic exhaust induces severe delusions in most people. That pizza is just downright mediocre. Brooklyn Ice Cream factory next door, however, that's good stuff.

David, I was actually referring to Totonno's white pie as maybe a notch better than Delorenzo's offering. Delorenzo's tomato pie however, in my opinion, is superior to both Grimaldi and Totonno.

I somehow haven't made it to Delorenzo's yet, it's a crime, really...

But I'm with David about Grimaldi's being pretty mediocre, although I'm told it varies quite a lot by the time of day, therefore the temp of the oven. (And I'll agree about the ice cream too...)

But I LOVED Una Pizza Napolitana, so if Il Pizzaiolo is supposedly significantly better than that, it might be time for a 10-hour round trip drive.

Although, to be fair PN, I'll have to admit that I share Daniel and JeffL's concerns. There's nothing at all wrong with you letting people know about pizza you think is great, but you really should say that you have a relationship with the place, even if you have no direct financial interest.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I somehow haven't made it to Delorenzo's yet, it's a crime, really...

Jeff, it is indeed a crime. Let me know if you ever get a Friday morning off so we can do lunch. If not, pm me to arrange a weeknight excursion. Forget about weekends though, it's kind of like how David explained the wait at Grimaldi's without the car exhaust.

Don't forget to bring that famous camera!

There is a lot of factors in food taste: culture, memory etc... But when an American write something like that  after visiting so many places like  the guy on pizzamaking.com (previous link provided) then it makes you think  (or you may think he has financial gain too....)

I'm the "guy" who posted on pizzamaking.com. Perhaps I misunderstand your point, but I have no financial stake in any aspect of this discussion.

As I admitted in my post I have no experience with real Naples-style pizza, and perhaps it is simply not a form that I prefer. As my first taste of the style I found it underwhelming. Good, but not my top choice for pizza.

Everyone's taste is different.

As for the questions raised about your connections with the restaurant, it's not a matter of whether you'd gain any direct financial benefit from your review. In a forum such as this it's considered proper to disclose *any* professional relationship with a place you're reviewing.

---Guy

Edited by pennbrew (log)

I was reffering to scott.....

I am still wondering what is your pizza preference.

From my side I am not interested in discussing any further other then the quality or not of the food and I feel still ok in reccomanding restaurant or other establishment either if I am somehow involved or not at all.

After all, aside of yourself (and Daniel -edited), both on pizzamaking and here, people that have tried Il Pizzaiolo seams to agree more then disagree. Pizza Napoletana may not be your thing, but undertsanding and appreciating a proper fermented dough, made with quality flour/salt and topped with even better topping, well I do not see equals very easily in America... Mostly cheap and bromated flours, cheap topping etc.... Most of the VPN members do something that do not even replicate the lowest average Pizza in Naples...

Without taking anything away from Bianco in Phoneix for example, he gets a lot of positive press but in my opinion is not that good either....

Edited by Pizza Napoletana (log)