• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Sushi

AzRaeL

It's easier for me to say what I don't like rather than what I do, because I love most sushi (although I could take or leave sashimi, since I'm always craving nori). I'm not fond of squid. I'm not very excited about salmon, either. My sister and I ordered "Ice Fish" once (don't know the Japanese name), and I couldn't even eat it, the tiny little guys were looking up at me!

Everything except octopus, squid and kazunoko. And natto rolls.

The first two are uninteresting to me, especially for the amount of chewing effort required, and kazunoko is the one roe I don't like. It has the mouthfeel and taste of styrofoam. Natto I'm still working on...

Favorites: otoro, shiro maguro, hamachi, fresh salmon that isn't Atlantic, unagi provided it's the warm tender melt in your mouth kind, escolar, suzuki, ikura, various mackeral.

And another XX chromosomed vote from me for uni, especially fresh on the spikey half shell.

Also, tamago that's prepared perfectly (no brown anywhere, custard texture), though I'll still eat and enjoy the ones that don't meet those ideals. The meal isn't complete without it.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

I always order the same three things (plus anything interesting unique to the particular sushi bar).

Rainbow Roll-because it's the most economical as you get a California Roll covered in sashimi.

A Shrimp Tempura Roll

Salmon Skin Roll

gallery_16139_364_1100295842.jpg

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

[

Cream cheese?

If I'm not mistaken, that makes it a "Philly roll".  (After the cream cheese, not the city.)

Hey, I'm in Texas. They probably call everything a 'California Roll'. We even have one place that has a Dallas Roll, Cowboy Roll (Unagi & BBQ Sauce- really gross), and Longhorn Roll.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

Oh.

My.

Those rolls look good.

A long time ago I had a spicy roe that was excellent but I never knew the name of it. Last year, I narrowed it down to Mentaiko (spiced Cod or Pollack roe). Thrilled to see it on a menu, I've been ordering it everytime since. Caution: not for the squeamish!

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I like anything that is in season! :biggrin:

About a month ago we were at a sushi place and they had oyster sushi, which I had never seen before. It was served gunkan style with one whole (pretty small) oyster topped with radish grated with a bit of chile pepper and a thick slice of lemon.

It was incredible and at only 180 yen (about $1.75) per plate (2 pieces) I didn't feel quilty taking 5 plates.... :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Spider Maki ...definitely #1

after that Toro or Ika or maybe Ebi or Tamago is nice for a change. :biggrin: Oh just give it all to me.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Oh man - so many to choose from - almost anything so long as it's fresh - with the proviso being that if the salmon ain't in season and ain't wild, I ain't eating it. Probably one of my favourites was the monkfish liver served at Shiro's in Vancouver (Cambie & about 15th) - wonderfully buttery, fish-y (in a good way), texture was divine. I can still taste it - and that had to be at least 3 years ago. Also adored his fried sushi - no really - made into a ball with the rice on the outside (obviously) - still cold in the middle, hot & crunchy outside - mmmmm. Oh - and prawn heads dipped in rock salt & quickly barbecued - I introduced them to a friend who was horrified that I was making her eat "bugs" until she tried them - instant convert.

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)

my standard is the rainbow roll. nigiri-wise, my absolute favorite is a long, beautiful slice of salmon. there's a sushi place nearby that serves sushi on an ice-covered plate with a film of plastic wrap covering the ice. it's a good way to make sure the sushi STAYS COLD. and they also serve some of the best salmon nigiri i've ever had. beautifully long pieces of salmon curling over the rice and touching the plate.

Probably one of my favourites was the monkfish liver

Oh, man! Cream cheese of the sea. We have it sashimi style with ponzu. :wub:

Aji is also a favorite. Shiro Maguro was also until they pulled it off the menu around here. Something about bothering too many stomachs. Bah!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Most sushi places around here aren't too adventurous, so you end up judging them on quality rather than range of menu. However, one nearby offers fresh escolar on a regular basis, and I can't get enough of it. Usually I'll save it for last, as sort of a "dessert" sushi. It's creamy and buttery both in taste and texture, and whereas many other types of sushi tend to taste similar (to me at least) over the course of a full-out gluttonyfest, escolar is always unique on the palate.

However, I've been told that you shouldn't eat too much of it in one sitting, because it'll make you poop...

Oooh, I'd love to try escolar. Sounds heavenly!

I'd be hard pressed to find a type of sushi that I genuinely dislike. Some I'm more fond of than others, but I don't think I actually dislike any one kind. Well, except maybe for cuttlefish.

Maki: I'm partial to negitoro for either rolls or cones.

Sashimi: maguro and hotatagai (scallop) are my favourites.

Nigiri sushi: sake, maguro, kani and spicy scallop.

Mind you, whenever there's any tobiko on my plate, it almost gets down to fisticuffs if my son finishes his first and starts eyeing mine. :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg