• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Sushi

AzRaeL

What's your favourite type of sushin?

Mine is definitely "uni" (sea urchin roe)

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Albacore. Not seared, as many places around here serve it - just plain, raw albacore.

It's what made me decide that maybe eating dead, cold, raw fish wasn't so bad after all.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

tempura roll, actually. Unless the nori is as strong as the wasabi, has something with crunch (like cucumber,) the fish is absolutely perfect, or is packed hard as a brick, a roll seems its missing something. a nice Ebi Tempura in the middle gives it a crunch that goes oh so well with pungent nori.

Edited by PurpleDingo99 (log)

This is a very difficult question.

My favorite food of all is japanese, but sushi is the least tempting japanese dish to me. I prefer sashimi - less rice more raw meat!! :cool:

My favorite sashimi is salmon, though I love oyster when I can find it.

My favorite sushi, ideally, would be something with enoki mushrooms....though I dont know what that would be.

Okay, I'll vote for spicy tuna. Or salmon roe. Or both. :laugh:

the tall drink of water...

Toro (fatty tuna)

Ikura (salmon eggs)

Maguro (tuna)

a sushi survey by gender

The survey results show minor differences between the genders. Sushi types more popular among women than men are Amaebi (raw shrimp), Ikura (salmon eggs) and Sake (salmon). On the other hand, Toro and Maguro (tuna), Uni (sea urchin) and Anago (eel) are more popular among men than women. Furthermore, many more women responded to dislike certain sushi types than men: Uni, for example, is disliked by as many as 37 percent of the women, while it is unpopular among only 19 percent of men.

Favourites among women

1. Toro 40%

2. Ikura 33%

3. Amaebi 31%

4. Sake 27%

5. Uni 26% 

Favourites among men

1. Toro 50%

2. Uni 38%

3. Maguro 35%

4. Anago 34%

5. Amaebi 30% 

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Sashimi's the best! Straight raw fish, baby.

For nigiri, I like:

Salmon

Yellowtail

Unagi

Mackrel

Ikura

For maki:

Salmon skin

Spicy tuna

Yellowtail w/ scallions

Salmon w/ avacado

Any tempura rolls - shrimp, Spider, etc.

And yes, free sushi is always, always, always nice.

We just got back from Japan, where we took it upon ourselves to eat types of sushi we'd never eaten before, because hey, where else are you going to try it if not in Japan?

The "gender sushi preference" thing doesn't fit me because I looooooove tuna but salmon I can take or leave. I ate more tuna in Tokyo than I actually think is safe, but who cares. :) As for the new stuff we tried, we had some awesome halibut and something else that I'm pretty sure was snapper of some kind - whatever it was, it was AMAZING. We tried eel - I wasn't a fan. Ditto with the octopus and squid we tried - just wasn't my thing. We also tried some stuff that we had no idea about - I didn't like any of it enough to ask what it was.

My favorite types are - in this order:

Ebi (shrimp)

Amaebi (sweet shrimp)

Kani (crab)

Maguro (tuna)

Halibut

I am not really a big "roll" person - but I do like shrimp tempura rolls on occasion.

For nigiri sushi, I love unagi and tamago (or nori-tama).

For sashimi, it is otoro tuna (I prefer this for sashimi instead of sushi).

As for rolls, I like futo-maki for something more traditional. I hate to admit, but I do like the very American California roll (Avacado, Cream Cheese, etc.)

Edited by Mnehrling (log)

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

Unagi is way up there. Also anything involving roe of any kind - just love the way those little capsules pop in my mouth! Octopus. Mmmm.

I don't really care for uni, but I don't hate it. I'm beginning to suspect that I've never had good uni. Honestly, I've yet to meet nigri or maki that I didn't like!

Oh, and not really sushi, but I really like those little fried river crabs that they serve at our local sushi joint - like crab popcorn! Delicious!

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

As per the screen name-Salmon either Sockeye or Spring Salmon. :wub:

Sockeye is so firm and smooth while Spring Salmon is something akin to cool butter in the mouth.

Because we live so close to the sea fresh Wild Fish is available most of the time-at the right places

EDIT-if/when there's no fresh Wild Salmon then Hamachi rules with Albacore a close second.

Edited by Sam Salmon (log)

Ankimo - Monk Fish Liver When in season it's the best thing going.

Aji - Spanish Mackerel if fresh it's great

Blue FIn Toru - It's butter in your mouth

Anago - Sea Eel

Salmon Skin Maki

Tempura Maki with Teriyaki Sauce

Wasabi Tabiko with a raw quail egg - Very yummy

My current favorite is a concoction that a local Sushi bar make. A "BTS" roll (Better than Sex) will not quite but close :laugh:

Edited by irodguy (log)

Never trust a skinny chef

I'd say what my favorites are, but honestly, I have no clue what I am eating at the sushi bar. I just get the sashimi special or go during the sushi buffet and try lots of stuff.

I am particularly fond of the pink stuff that is most likely tuna or salmon, it has nice fat marbleing and a soft texture.

The only one I'm not really fond of is a whitish fleshed fish with a medium-silver skin on top.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I'd say what my favorites are, but honestly, I have no clue what I am eating at the sushi bar.  I just get the sashimi special or go during the sushi buffet and try lots of stuff. 

I am particularly fond of the pink stuff that is most likely tuna or salmon, it has nice fat marbleing and a soft texture. 

The only one I'm not really fond of is a whitish fleshed fish with a medium-silver skin on top.

sushi_salmon_tuna_lg.jpg

Im guessing you mean the tuna (maguro) on top?

the white fish is probably Tai (red snapper)

sushi_tai.jpg

Edited by PurpleDingo99 (log)

For nigiri sushi, I love unagi and tamago (or nori-tama).

For sashimi, it is otoro tuna (I prefer this for sashimi instead of sushi).

As for rolls, I like futo-maki for something more traditional.  I hate to admit, but I do like the very American California roll (Avacado, Cream Cheese, etc.)

Cream cheese?

If I'm not mistaken, that makes it a "Philly roll". (After the cream cheese, not the city.)

I've rarely eaten sashimi, so cannot offer a preference there.

As for nigiri, well, it's easier for me to name the variety I don't much care for: egg custard. Toro is probably my first among equals, though.

That preference is heightened in rolls, where I love spicy tuna.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Unagi

Mackrel

Toro

Tako

Fresh salmon (not smoked)

Spider rolls.........because there's something very satisfying about the crunch of small crab legs.

Edited by Susan G (log)

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Scallops

Unagi

Albacore

Marguro

Yellowtail

Kani

Ebi

Salmon

Masago

Qual egg

Large Sapporo

Spicy Crab in any roll

Spicy Scallop Roll

Spicy Albacore special roll

Rainbow Roll

Caterpiller

Volcano

Jees...I could go on but I gotta eat something now. Too late to start the rice and slice up some fish. DAMN YOU.....DAMN YOU ALL TO HECK

That's okay, we're going out to sushi Thursday night. I guess I can wait.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Suzuki by a mile.

Followed by either Toro or regular tuna.

Uni (sea urchin roe). A girlfriend of mine tells me that Uni tastes a bit like a certain body secretion that shall not be named. Maybe that's why girls tend not to like it :blink:

Edited by stephenc (log)

Top hits!

Saba, with all its vinegary goodness.

Uni, when it's good, tastes like seawater and violets.

My juvenile side likes anything with unagi. (Unagi rolls? Don't mind if I do! :a la Homer:)

Toro aburi served at Sushi-Ko. Soooo expensive but delicious!

Salmon, with lovely striations of buttery goodness.

Tobiko is a fizzy taste sensation in one's mouth.

Hotategai has a delicately nutty taste.

:mmmm: Guys, I want sushi now. :wub: