• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zakkushi Charcoal Grill Diner

transfattyacid

hi all

just got back from a marvelous dinner at Zakkushi Charcoal Grill on denman , ( just up from robson near the DQ ).

what a fantastic place . as i find it very hard to get my tongue round japanese words, so with the upmost respect, this establishment will be referred to as shouty stick place .

i love japanese food and this place is a joy. mrs fattyacid and i were greated with enthusiastic shouting in japanese ( and gee these guys can holler ) and we sat at the bar with a ring side seat to watch the bbq cook do his stuff .

we ordered ( between shouts ) various yakitori ( japanese food on sticks ) cooked on the bbq in front of us.

chicken meatballs with a japanese sour plum relish ( for want of a better word ) was a proper hit of flavour and a sip at $1.70 each , chicken livers was also very good still moist and basted with a tangy sauce or salted to finish. the beef tongue also deserves an admirable mention . all redolent of there cooking medium the hypnotic bbq in front of us .

a very simple concept, granted but these ideas are normaly the best imho, some really quite charming pottery and funky staff , the shouting and some great flavours won mrs fattyacid and i over we will return with reinforcements .

all in a welcome change from the fabulous gyoza king

shouty stick place rocks

go

go now !

tt

It sounds like authentic Japanese yakitori street food....and this is a good thing.

What's the address?

Sound's like it's close to our other favourite, Gyoza King.

Do tell, transfatty?

cm

823 Denman between haro and robson

Su-Th 1730 to midnight F Sa to0100

Domo Arigato...transfattyacid san

It sounds like authentic Japanese yakitori street food....and this is a good thing.

What's the address?

Sound's like it's close to our other favourite, Gyoza King.

Do tell, transfatty?

cm

Domo Arigato...transfattyacid san

errr like wise , i`m sure

* doffs cap * :smile:

tt

Crap...Now another place I'll need to go... :shock::sad: ...

So this is on Robson, you say? Close to the city center, perhaps?

Thanks! (I think... :laugh: )

Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Crap...Now another place I'll need to go... :shock:  :sad: ...

So this is on Robson, you say? Close to the city center, perhaps?

Thanks! (I think... :laugh: )

Jason

Not that I'm transfattyacid but I thought I'd reply all the same. The place in question is on Denman Street, which is at the foot of Robson if you like.

the address from TFA's post:

I'll butt out now :wink:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

TFA - was the place busy - when I walk by it - it always seems to be a little empty (but I can't really see into the place).

Glad to know that you enjoyed so much - a nice place to try out when all the Izakaya places seem to be bursting at the seams. Have you ever tried to get into Guu with Garlic on a Friday evening (they now thankfully take reservations).

Thanks for the tip.

TFA - was the place busy - when I walk by it - it always seems to be a little empty (but I can't really see into the place).

Glad to know that you enjoyed so much - a nice place to try out when all the Izakaya places seem to be bursting at the seams.  Have you ever tried to get into Guu with Garlic on a Friday evening (they now thankfully take reservations).

Thanks for the tip.

hi

yes the place does get very busy , think gyoza king style line ups at times , we went early , and it was monday , and it was in the middle of DOV , and the place was hoppin` 10 - 15 mins after we sat down .

i`m / we`re yet to try the guu `s but they are on the list mark my words ! ( time, money and sincronized schedules pending )

tt

Yes, Zakkushhi, does their yakitori right, not overcooked or dry, but juicy and tender. It wasn't busy the night I went so I'm wondering when the place is full, can they keep up with such a small barbecue? For me, it's a place to go when eating late, not for dinner. BTW, has anyone been to the African place right next door?

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just wanted to say that I love the term shouty stick place... I've been laughing about it since you posted as it doesn't get more accurate than that!

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg