• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who Serves Calf Kidneys?

Ling

I've spent some time checking the menus of various French bistros/restaurants (Cafe de Paris, Bistro Pastis, Le Crocodile, etc.) but I've yet to see kidneys on the menu. Does anyone know where I can get them--whether at a restaurant, or should I order them from a butcher's shop?

The aboslute gold standard for Rongon de veau was the Cafe de Paris. If they are no longer available, I'm sad. The last time I had them there they were served without sauce, not good. In the past though they were brilliant. Pink in the middle, tender and just a fleeting hint of urine, in a good way.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I've spent some time checking the menus of various French bistros/restaurants (Cafe de Paris, Bistro Pastis, Le Crocodile, etc.) but I've yet to see kidneys on the menu. Does anyone know where I can get them--whether at a restaurant, or should I order them from a butcher's shop?

hi

le crocodile offers rognon de veau as a special from time to time.

i love calves kidneys and would love to know a supplier for those days off.

tt

I used to run them as a special at Cafe de Paris. It was formerly a standard menu item, but too few people would order them and they would rot in my fridge before they were sold. As a special, they seemed to sell better. We always did them with a grainy mustard sauce.

The owner LOVES them however, and he has probably persuaded Scott to serve them now and again.

The Cafe de Paris menu on line is not up to date by the way. Scott has changed a lot of things and I know that he does like offal meat.

Good luck in your search!

Some people really like kidney?

And Coop, you find a hint of tar a defect in wine, yet enjoy your kidney with the distinctive hint'o'urine, which isn't an odour reminescent of urine, but actually is urine?

The world is a complex place, the older I get the less I understand.

And Coop, you find a hint of tar a defect in wine, yet enjoy your kidney with the distinctive hint'o'urine, which isn't an odour reminescent of urine, but actually is urine?

I just spat out some coffee. Or rather, I started laughing and the coffee started dribbling down my chin. :shock:

Deborah, I've never had kidney (that I know of) in my life--not even in steak and kidney pie. So really, I don't know if I like them or not, I just thought that it would be fun to try them.

I do recommend buying them either from a reputable butcher in the city or someone who is raising their own.

In Vancouver I would phone Oyama on Granville isl and see who they would recommend for kidney purchasing.

s

Have you tried Cioffi's (4156 E Hastings) or Rocky's (4243 E Hastings)? 3P Natural and Exotic Meats (223 Mountain Highway, North Vancouver) is supposed to have hard to find stuff.

I can't remember if kidneys was one of those strange organ meats I ate as a child without knowing it. Probably in a Chinese restorative soup or something.

Out of curiosity, how are you going to prepare them?

How about the recipe in Tony Bourdain's book for Rognons de Veau? S&P, sear in oil and butter. Remove from pan, add shallots, white wine, chicken stock and mustard to make a sauce. He suggests having the butcher trim and clean them for you.

Coop, what's involved in the coring process? Is that the removal of membrane or blood vessels, something like that?