• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Advice Please

mts

Hello-

Can anyone suggest a good seafood restaurant or restaurant that has many seafood offerings perhaps near the Four Seasons George V (our hotel.) We are not looking for top, top dining (Taillevent, La Tour, etc.) but would like something contemporary with an stylish atmosphere. We are late thirties and early forties and love Champagne and seafood.

We are considering Maison Blanche for a dinner. My husband loves restaurants with a view. I have not been able to find much information on this restaurant. Can anyone share their experience or knowledge of this restaurant with me?

Also, we are planning a day-trip to Reims. We will be having lunch at Boyers Les Crayeres where we have had dinner before. Where would you suggest for dinner back in Paris that night? I was thinking of something light.

Thank you for any advise you can offer.

-mts

Can anyone suggest a good seafood restaurant or restaurant that has many seafood offerings perhaps near the Four Seasons George V (our hotel.)  We are not looking for top, top dining (Taillevent, La Tour, etc.) but would like something contemporary with an stylish atmosphere.

We are considering Maison Blanche for a dinner.  My husband loves restaurants with a view.  I have not been able to find much information on this restaurant.  Can anyone share their experience or knowledge of this restaurant with me?

Also, we are planning a day-trip to Reims.  We will be having lunch at Boyers Les Crayeres where we have had dinner before.  Where would you suggest for dinner back in Paris that night?  I was thinking of something light. 

Goumard is not far away; 9 rue Duphot in the 1st, 01.42.60.36.07; it has superb fish.

I was at Maison Blanche too long ago to be valuable.

After Les Crayeres you need a nap and a long walk to the cathedral. Light meal, how about oysters at l'Huitrier, 16, rue Saussier-Leroy in the 17th, 01.40.54.83.44, also not far.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thank you Mr. Talbott for you reply. We were actually considering Goumard until we read Patricia Well's terrible review of it in 1998 and her good food/bad atmosphere review in December of 2000. I know these reviews are very old (the power of google!) But as we only have three nights, I did not want to make a mistake!

I'm sure you have eaten there more currently. I have seen the menu and it looks very appealing. I will go with your recommendation.

Another seafood restaurant that looks appealing, is Port Alma. Are you familiar with it and how would it compare with Goumard?

Thank you very much for your help and advise.

-mary

Edited by mts (log)

I believe the current chef at Goumard has only been there for a relatively short time. If your negative experience was two or more years ago, I suspect it was with another chef. In fact we met the current chef briefly because we were with a chef who knew him when he was working in NY. The two ran into each other accidently on the street. We took the opportunity to reseve a table for lunch the day we were leaving Paris. It was the only chance we had to squeeze it in. There's a reasonably priced prix fixe meal, but we opted for the carte, which may have been a mistake because we felt we were in a bit of a hurry. What I recall most was two exceptional, and rather expensive first courses. One of very succulent langoustine and the other of blue lobster with heirloom tomatoes. Main courses were very large and we skipped desserts. The paintings on the walls had no appeal to me, but otherwise it's a particularly lovely restaurant up a flight of stairs on the first floor. There's a small entry room on the ground floor. Service was quite nice as well.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I'm sure you have eaten there more currently. I have seen the menu and it looks very appealing. I will go with your recommendation.

Also, can anyone tell me how Goumard and Maison Prunier compare??

I cannot compare them; my experience at both is dated. But Pudlo 2005 gives Goumard 4 forks and 1 plate and Prunier only 2 forks; and the bigger Lebey 2005 gives Goumard one Eiffel Tower (of three) and Prunier none. BTW Lebey's top seafood places are 2 Eiffels: Divellac (I'd warn you off it) and La Maree (haven't been in years); with lots of 1 Eiffels.

In any case, tell us how it goes.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

But Pudlo 2005 gives Goumard 4 forks and 1 plate and Prunier only 2 forks; and the bigger Lebey 2005 gives Goumard one Eiffel Tower (of three) and Prunier none. BTW Lebey's top seafood places are 2 Eiffels: Divellac (I'd warn you off it) and La Maree (haven't been in years);

Curious as to why you warn against Le Divellec other than the astronomical price. In the same Pudlo it gets 4 forks and 2 plates. We have had 3 celebratory evenings there in the last several years and have found no fault. The last time was a rainy evening about 2 years ago and we used the voiturier. As we paid our bill the hostess brought our coats and announced that our car was at the entrance, which was in keeping with the level of service we received tableside, and the fish was very fresh and grilled just a little more than bleue as we had asked. Admittedly the price is more than I care to tolerate except for very special occasions.

Edited by Laidback (log)