• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's Goh and Snacks

Yuki

This URL may be of interest : A Chinese New Year Dim Sum celebration at my restaurant in 2001. Every year, I swore I'd never do it again. Every year I buckled under customer pressure! :laugh:

Did they ask you to sing too?

Tay Doi: in Cantonese it's called Gin Dhui.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

My late beloved uncle (my father's twin) used to love neen goh, battered and fried, this afternoon I have done so in his honor.

gallery_11814_148_30118.jpg

Nice crispy exterior, ooey gooey within.

For you, Uncle Double-J :wub:

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

My family sandwiches a slice of neen gao between a slice of sweet potato and a slice of yam, then dips the sandwich in light batter and fries it. Delicious! I love the soft sweetness oozing from the crisp exterior!

p.s Many Chinese couples are getting married before this coming year of the rooster, not because the year of the rooster brings bad luck, but because for this year, the traditional start of spring occurs before the start of the year of the rooster. They believe that since the coming year of the rooster does not begin with spring, it is a barren year. Even pregnant women have been known to induce labor to conceive before the start of the coming new year! This phenomenon (when the traditional start of spring occurs before the beginning of the next lunar new year) occurs every three years or so.

I shall not look, I shall not look/read about at all these neen go variations until I survive the cheongsam for the first day of CNY. Then I'll get hubby to do his very own neen go creation - he breaks apart a love-letter, sandwiches a slice of neen go, dips in thin batter and fry. Easy to handle and crispy/gooey at the same time.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Great thread. I have a question for y'all. We had what was described to us as a "Chinese New Year dessert" for dim sum yesterday: a red gelatinous dessert made from coconut milk/cream, egg, and sweet red beans. It was fantastic. Does anyone know what it was -- and does anyone have a recipe, better yet?? Thanks!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Does anyone know the shelf-life of neen goh? If I bought it now, would it be good for the end of the month? If so, how do i store it? Does anyone have a recipe they can share? I might have to make some for my banquet and I'm a newbie at this. Gawd, I can imagine everyone doubling over.... :wacko:

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

Does anyone know the shelf-life of neen goh?  If I bought it now, would it be good for the end of the month?  If so, how do i store it?  Does anyone have a recipe they can share?  I might have to make some for my banquet and I'm a newbie at this.  Gawd, I can imagine everyone doubling over.... :wacko:

Neen goh keeps very well if you wrap it up and put it in the fridge.

Do you have Grace Young's Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen? Her recipe is good as well as being simple.

There's also a recipe in www.epicurious.com

We just had some fried up at my s-i-l's. It was really good! I found the recipe somewhere for her. Maybe it's the one from epicurious.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

My loh bak goh failed over the weekend because it was too watery........ so I am making a new batch today. Now, they are steaming and let's hope they come out alright. Just half an hour more then I should know.........

My loh bak goh failed over the weekend because it was too watery........ so I am making a new batch today. Now, they are steaming and let's hope they come out alright. Just half an hour more then I should know.........

Anxiously waiting for your results, Yuki.

Just out of curiosity, was it just the top think layer that was watery, or was the whole cake watery? I thought my cake wasn't done the first time I made it, but the layer firmed up as it cooled.

What proportion of flour to water did you use? My notes said 3 cups rice flour to 2.5 cups water.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Just out of curiosity, was it just the top think layer that was watery, or was the whole cake watery? I thought my cake wasn't done the first time I made it, but the layer firmed up as it cooled.

What proportion of flour to water did you use? My notes said 3 cups rice flour to 2.5 cups water.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Um... I make loh bak goh with no measurement, just keep pouring until the texture seems right. I am usually pretty successful with this method but this time was just bad. Maybe the turnip was too watery.... or it is just me. I also use both corn starch and rice flour, with a bit of water added.

This time the loh bak goh turned out pretty well but I guess the loh bak I picked wasn't the best, so the flavor is still not as good. But whatever, I will panfry it tomorrow for breakfast and eat it with Vietnamese hot sauce and xo sauce. I will probably make my third loh bak goh in a couple weeks, hopefully I can find some good loh bak the next time.

I made my third one last night. The first two were devoured by my international students most of whom are Chinese. I took a 1/4 wedge to my Mom and brother's house today for my New Years visit, along with fruit, candies and hong bao for my great neice and nephew.

I fried up neen goh for my students. Took a picture, now I'll see if I can upload it. :unsure:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Does anyone know the shelf-life of neen goh?  If I bought it now, would it be good for the end of the month?  If so, how do i store it?  Does anyone have a recipe they can share?  I might have to make some for my banquet and I'm a newbie at this.  Gawd, I can imagine everyone doubling over.... :wacko:

We keep the neen goh till it hardens before frying them up. And not in the fridge either. My late granny liked to dry it out in the sun. And it's at least a good two weeks before we get to eat it. It's hard as stone when we cut it to fry, but once fried, it's soft and gooey - the way we like it.

Occasionally, mould develops on the surface. My great-granny said it's okay to just wipe it off. But my granny said if you're squeamish, you can just cut a thin slice away.

I have just got a copy of Grace Young's book. Will test out the recipe, and the duration for the cooking......

Jew bought a box of "Dan San" [Cantonese]. They look like fried wonton skins but with one big difference: When making the dough from flour, egg and such, they added "Num Yu" (red fermented bean curd). The savory flavor is already built in to the dough. Then they twisted the flat strips and deep-fried them.

Delicious!

I don't like the other variations of deep-fried flour-dough kind of snacks with glaze of sugar. The savory flavor of Dan San is the best.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"