• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine consumption

pattimw

Forgive me if this has already been covered, and please point me in the right direction if so - I did a search and nothing came up.

How often do you drink wine? Every day? Or do you try to limit yourself to the weekends? Did members of your household share your habits?

I personally drink wine more nights than not - I usually have a glass or two with dinner. I find it relaxing and an enjoyable way to end the day. And it makes the food taste much better. My DH usually usually drinks as well. This may all seem mundane and not very thought provoking, but most people I know do not drink wine regularly and are curious when I tell them I do. I think they think I am an alcoholic. :laugh:

I think American's drinking habits tend towards the extremes - too much or nothing. I wonder if this is changing with wine and food more in the public consciousness. Just curious what your personal preferences are, what you see around you - are we tending more towards the European way, with wine more as a beverage like water or juice as opposed to wine as a special occasion drink or a means to inebriation. :wink:

Forgive me if this has already been covered, and please point me in the right direction if so - I did a search and nothing came up.

How often do you drink wine? Every day? Or do you try to limit yourself to the weekends? Did members of your household share your habits?

I personally drink wine more nights than not - I usually have a glass or two with dinner. I find it relaxing and an enjoyable way to end the day. And it makes the food taste much better. My DH usually usually drinks as well. This may all seem mundane and not very thought provoking, but most people I know do not drink wine regularly and are curious when I tell them I do. I think they think I am an alcoholic.  :laugh:

I think American's drinking habits tend towards the extremes - too much or nothing. I wonder if this is changing with wine and food more in the public consciousness. Just curious what your personal preferences are, what you see around you - are we tending more towards the European way, with wine more as a beverage like water or juice as opposed to wine as a special occasion drink or a means to inebriation.  :wink:

I have found my consumption has increased exponentially to my salary. I am moving more toward the European way, usually buying wine when I grocery shop so each meal has its own wine. Last week I had wine in 4 of the 7 dinners we ate in.

Normally I won’t have more than two glasses during a meal, although I will finish a bottle during an entire Saturday of cooking. I don’t think it excess as it is over a 4-5 hour period.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

Hmm. A thought-provoking question, and not as simple as it might appear.

Although I love milk as a midnight snack with peaches or bananas, it's far too cloying as a dinner beverage.

Hot teas or coffee at dinner contain way too much tannin and/or caffeine--a very unfriendly culinary combination.

(Except for certain herbal teas which are very nice and digestiv.)

Most juices and ice teas have too much sugar. Homebrewed ice tea is nice with dinner, but in our house, I'm the only one who would drink it, and it quickly grows cultures resembling penicillin if made in quantities of two quarts or more.

Wine is a nice, romantic, and digestif beverage, when consumed in moderation.

Does anyone else here remember the press flap when Jean Claude Killy was interviewed on TV regarding his wine consumption during the Olympic competitions? He was quite indignant, as I recall, and said that he had always consumed two glasses of red wine at night, and that if it that were to effect his Olympic performance, it would have prevented him from qualifying in the first place.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

We drink wine (or beer, if the food's not suited to wine) every night, almost without exception. One or two glasses per night at home, slightly more if we're eating out on a weekend night.

Can you pee in the ocean?

A glass (at least!) a day -- more on weekends. If I'm giving the tours at the winery, than definitely more as barrel samples are quite necessary!

Although I tend to disagree with Rebel Rose on milk... next to wine, it is my favorite beverage and I would order it in restaurants if there were free refilles!

Might I suggest that we all harken back to the so called "French Paradox"? In France, they eat more fat than we do, and have fewer heart problems. They also drink a lot more red wine. That's all you know, and all you need to know :wink:.

THW

P.S. Two glasses would be a minimum for me most days, but then I'm not in training for the Olympics either :raz:.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Might I suggest that we all harken back to the so called "French Paradox"?  In France, they eat more fat than we do, and have fewer heart problems.  They also drink a lot more red wine.  That's all you know, and all you need to know :wink:.

Yea, that's my excuse too.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

We (my lovely & I) consume a bottle 5 days, or so, of the 7 night week. One of the weekend nights (Fri, Sat) we may have a cocktail, and then leave some wine. Or not.

Should one's corporal repair require Ibuprofen, cold medication or something stronger the patient refrains.

That said, I find our own apothecary more rewarding than those remedies suggested by the pharmacy and suffer accordingly until nightfall.

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

When my wife comes in the door at night the first words out of her mouth are "and what wine are we having tonight hun".

Obviously a splendid companion. I'm sure you appreciate her...as you should :biggrin:.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

well, our glasses are those big, massive globes...so 2 glasses of wine is technically correct - but it also happens to be 1/2 bottle. pretty much every night. weekends could be more or less. we're equal opportunity.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Two glasses minimum per night, more if I don't have to work the next day.

I don't feel that is over the top since it is always with a meal.

Now, how much Cognac or Scotch is consumed that is a different story :)

slowfood/slowwine

*sigh* on my meager salary not nearly as much as I would like...

Probably 2 glasses a week, tops. Occasionally--when in a relationship, something approaching a half-bottle to a bottle a week.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Wine is a nice, romantic, and digestif beverage, when consumed in moderation. 

Yeah, but don't forget... candy is dandy but liquor is quicker. :cool:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

well, our glasses are those big, massive globes...so 2 glasses of wine is technically correct - but it also happens to be 1/2 bottle....

When my father-in-law, who is now 82, had some ailment or the other, he was instructed by the doc not to have more than one glass of wine per night. That's rather like telling a bear not to s**t in the woods. Even with the best will in the world, it just wasn't going to happen. But we thought, for the sake of assisting him in his probity if nothing else, we'd help out: managed to find one of those over-sized Burgundy glasses that hold damn near a whole bottle, yes, in a single glass. So that's about what he had every night. Very good claret of course. Didn't hurt him one little bit...except for the tennis elbow he picked up from holding the heavy sucker...

As for ourselves, we do try to have one night off wine every month or two. However I can't say we always manage it.

well, our glasses are those big, massive globes...so 2 glasses of wine is technically correct - but it also happens to be 1/2 bottle....

When my father-in-law, who is now 82, had some ailment or the other, he was instructed by the doc not to have more than one glass of wine per night. That's rather like telling a bear not to s**t in the woods. Even with the best will in the world, it just wasn't going to happen. But we thought, for the sake of assisting him in his probity if nothing else, we'd help out: managed to find one of those over-sized Burgundy glasses that hold damn near a whole bottle, yes, in a single glass. So that's about what he had every night. Very good claret of course. Didn't hurt him one little bit...except for the tennis elbow he picked up from holding the heavy sucker...

As for ourselves, we do try to have one night off wine every month or two. However I can't say we always manage it.

That is such a great story :laugh:

Clearly, at 82, a glass (or bottle, however you want to call it) of wine a day has done him well.

Reminds me of the Hogan's Heroes episode when Shultze was in the bar and his wife limited him to one beer a night, so he had the beer in his helmut. It probably held about 1/2 gallon's worth.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

We have at least a bottle between the two of us EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

We take breaks once or twice a year for a week, to see if we have a problem. But, thankfully, I don't think wine is addictive. During those times I still come home and have my seltzer in a wine glass, just for the ceremony of it all.

We don't eat junk food or fried food or processed foods, so the wine calories are our indulgence.

From a financial point of view, we've found very good Marsanne's for $6 a bottle, some Cariagnne's, etc. The good wines are probably once every week or two.

Sometimes, we even have a bottle at the office for lunch-- that lasts us a full week.

(We work together and there's no one else in our office)

We hardly drink any alcohol besides wine. Maybe a martini once every three months...a cognac/calvados/armagnac once a month...

Do we drink too much? Probably in most people's eyes. But we don't drink to get drunk, we just ENJOY THE TASTE of wine!

Do I feel guilty? Only when I feel others are judging me because of it.

WE LOVE WINE!

Philly Francophiles

in fact, I think it is about time to go shopping for my monthly case.  :biggrin:

And who knew that wine was good for athletic performance?  :smile: I am going to have to keep that in mind.....

It should be noted that the Greek goatherd who one the Olympic Marathon in the first modern Games -- Spiridon Louis -- stopped at a taverna at the half-way point of the race for a glass of wine. Despite the fact that he was far behind the leader, he confidently predicted victory, finished his wine and passed his rival with two kilometres go. As the only Greek gold medalist (actually, they were silver in those days, but you know what I mean) in track and field, he became a national hero and wealthy man. I believe he married the beautiful daughter of a prominent industrialist, as well.

I'm not saying it was the wine, but why take chances?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I'm not saying it was the wine, but why take chances?

It was his training method: he rested for the whole day before the race.

Speaking of good, old times:

Major Strasser: "What is your nationality?" Rick: "I'm a drunkard." Captain Renault: "That makes Rick a citizen of the world."

Edited by Boris_A (log)

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

come on! americans are very fetishly affected by wine consumption.

most spanish, french, italians, greeks would laugh at the american obsession with alcoholism. i drink until i'm satiated with the meal and beyond for meditation. what is dionysius trying to tell us? it's foolish and victorian.