• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife Sharpening

g_camper

I have an excellent set of knives that I have sharpened at home for many years on my electric sharpener. I would like to have these professionally sharpened about once a year or so. I haven't found a place here to do it.

Of course, I could continue in the manner I have, but thought that there might be some place that does this. I could also invest in a stone too - I know.

I live in DelCo, but come into the city and would consider anyplace nearby.

Thanks,

Glenn

Buy a stone.  Those electric sharpeners are terrible for your knives.

Check out Chad's Chad's Knife Maintenance and Sharpening on the eGullet Culinary Institute. Some nice work and options there. Here's a quote from the course regarding Chef's Choice sharpeners.

Just as with the pull-through sharpeners, there is a gem among the electrics. Both Steve Bottorff and Cooks Illustrated rated the Chef’s Choice model 110 as the best electric sharpener available. It puts a very nice edge on knives, sets a back bevel for performance and doesn’t remove metal at an alarming rate. It does have a tendency to scratch the blade, however.

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

Kitchen Kapers does knife sharpening, but I don't think its done onsite. I'm pretty sure that they send them out to be sharpened.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

When I took my knife down to Fante's for sharpening--done while I waited--the salesperson recommended me the Henckels Twinsharp pull-through sharpener, about $20. I've been pleased with its performance.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

When I took my knife down to Fante's for sharpening--done while I waited--the salesperson recommended me the Henckels Twinsharp pull-through sharpener, about $20.  I've been pleased with its performance.

I am pretty happy with my Chef's Choice, which is what I currently use, but feel a professional could do them better. I know the Twinsharp and used to have one, but part of it broke and I never replaced it. I think I will head down to Fantes.

Thanks for all the help.

Glenn :biggrin:

When I took my knife down to Fante's for sharpening--done while I waited--the salesperson recommended me the Henckels Twinsharp pull-through sharpener, about $20.  I've been pleased with its performance.

I am pretty happy with my Chef's Choice, which is what I currently use, but feel a professional could do them better. I know the Twinsharp and used to have one, but part of it broke and I never replaced it. I think I will head down to Fantes.

Thanks for all the help.

Glenn :biggrin:

FWIW, Chad Ward describes pull-through ceramic-wheel sharpeners as generally pieces o'crap in his eGCI tutorial, but calls the Twinsharp the exception to the rule; he says it's good for touchups--which is what the salesperson said I should use it for--and doesn't do too much damage to your blade.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3