• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question for all you New York folk

Octaveman

I'm heading to the east coast in May and will be staying in Manhattan around 48th and 8th. I'm looking for restaurants that have the best pastrami on rye, pizza by the slice, sausage, cheesesteak, etc. I'm also looking for a decent restaurant to eat before a show...not too expensive but good. I'm going off my diet for 24 hours and I'm gonna go nuts because I've heard so much about NY food.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I'm heading to the east coast in May and will be staying in Manhattan around 48th and 8th.  I'm looking for restaurants that have the best pastrami on rye, pizza by the slice, sausage, cheesesteak, etc.  I'm also looking for a decent restaurant to eat before a show...not too expensive but good.  I'm going off my diet for 24 hours and I'm gonna go nuts because I've heard so much about NY food.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Here are my suggestions - I'm sure you'll get a ton of input here:

Les Halles - even before Bourdain was as big as he is now, we loved this steakhouse. Superior quality, great NY atmosphere. Love it.

Kang Suh - my favorite Korean BBQ joint. It's open 24/7, so you could hit this late night for some Bul Go Ki.

Arturo's - I have a soft spot for this brick oven pizza place on Houston. Crazy, tacky decor. Excellent pizza and mussels.

Deli - Head down to the lower east side. You can get corned beef at Katz's, knishes at Yonah Shimel, appetizing at Russ & Daughter's.

Pre-show - Gosh, I haven't done this since I was a kid. We always used to do Joe Allen's, but I have no clue on the quality these days.

Hot Dog - I'm partial to Gray's Papaya or Papaya King. Love 'em.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I'm heading to the east coast in May and will be staying in Manhattan around 48th and 8th.  I'm looking for restaurants that have the best pastrami on rye,

Katz's

pizza by the slice,

DiFara's in Brooklyn, Patsy's in East Harlem (Grimaldi's doesn't do slices, I believe).

sausage,

What kind of sausage? Describe it with a nationality at least (e.g., Argentinian, Italian, Chinese, German . . .).

cheesesteak, etc.

Cheesesteak is not a New York thing. You can get it here, but why not wait until you're in Philadelphia?

I'm also looking for a decent restaurant to eat before a show...not too expensive but good.[...]

Pre-Theater Dining: The Thread

Enjoy your trip.

Michael aka "Pan"

[...]

Arturo's - I have a soft spot for this brick oven pizza place on Houston. Crazy, tacky decor. Excellent pizza and mussels.[...]

Yes, very good, but no slices. Whole pizzas only, and with their medium-thick crust, a whole pizza is a lot for one person there, too much for normal people I daresay.

Michael aka "Pan"

I guess I should mention again that I only have so much time to sample NY's finest stuff-your-face joints. So I don't have time to cruise the city. I'm looking for places close to where I'm staying in East Manhattan on 48th St. I have no clue where these places being suggested are since I've never been before. So specifics would be appreciated so I could easily locate it. Maybe within walking distance or a short taxi ride would work.

What kind of sausage? What kind is NY famous for? I guess could be any kind so maybe Italian or Polish? I dunno, that's why I'm a writin'.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions so far...keep 'em coming.

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by Octaveman (log)

Since you said you were staying on 8th Av., that's the West Side, not the East Side. But I think the bigger point is that it's a nonstarter for you to try to do or eat everything in one day. If you want to eat stuff that's within a short walk of where you're staying, look through that pre-theater thread. If you want the best pizza, the best pastrami, etc., you can't limit yourself to a 10-block radius or something. How about having some excellent Sichuan food at Grand Sichuan International, 8th Av. between 50th and 51st? There's something you can do in one night in Manhattan that'll be worthwhile (if you stick to ordering Sichuan, Hunan, and special menu items -- none of that American Chinese or Cantonese stuff, and don't tell them to tone down the spiciness).

Michael aka "Pan"

As Pan mentioned, if you're on 48th and 8th that's the west side, not the east side. If you want to try smaller, neighborhood places to sample what they do best, rather than sit down and eat a full meal, I'd suggest: Sullivan St. Bakery (47th St. between 10th & 11th -- great, and very different, pizza); Amy's Bread (9th Av. and 47th St.); Mitchell London (9th Av. between 35th & 36th, I think); Meskarim (Ethiopian food; I think it's on 46th St., corner of 10th Av.) Walk around a bit.

Restricting yourself to a neighborhood and wanting to try the best NYC has to offer is a contradiction in terms and a day is too short a time to try it all.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

As Pan mentioned, if you're on 48th and 8th that's the west side, not the east side. If you want to try smaller, neighborhood places to sample what they do best, rather than sit down and eat a full meal, I'd suggest: Sullivan St. Bakery (47th St. between 10th & 11th -- great, and very different, pizza); Amy's Bread (9th Av. and 47th St.); Mitchell London (9th Av. between 35th & 36th, I think); Meskarim (Ethiopian food; I think it's on 46th St., corner of 10th Av.) Walk around a bit.

Sullivan St. Bakery = Pizza, different but great

Amy's Bread = ?

Mitchell London = ?

I looked through the pre-theatre thread and there was lots of great suggestions. I jotted down the ones we'd keep in mind to try.

I understand that the "best of NY" places are scattered. Since there can be diversity in food quality in a given area (for example, one pizza place can be better than the one down the street), I am looking for the best I can get in the area I'm in.

I'll be seeing Phantom on 44th and the hotel is on 48th. The pre-theatre thread gave great ideas for sit down places for a nice dinner before the show. I'm now looking for late night eats. After the show, we're probably going to go to times square to look around but I heard times square is not the place to go for good food. Has anyone seen the TV show Up All Night With Dave Attell? That's kinda what I'm going for...an all night juicy burger, pastrami or pizza place that rocks. Is there anything like that in this area? If not, oh well, maybe next time.

I really do appreciate the suggestions and I'm painfully aware that 24 hours in NY is not enough time but it's all I got right now. West side, not East, got it. It's my first time to NY, can you tell?

Thanks again. BTW, should I make a post to the pre-theatre thread too or just keep it here?

Cheers,

Bob

p.s. I NEVER tone down the spiciness!! I love Thai, Sichuan.

p.s.  I NEVER tone down the spiciness!!  I love Thai, Sichuan.

in that case, you're also near wondee (52nd/9th), which is one of the better thai places in that neighborhood. i think it closes at 11, so post-theatre you would need to hurry a bit.

Yes, post to the pre-theater thread (you can put a link here).

No, don't look for anything at Times Square (except for a decent bakery on 7th Av. and 44 St. - a little pricey and no big deal, but OK).

For after theater, you may want to walk down to Little Korea, between 32nd and 36th between Broadway/6th Av. and 5th Av., because most of those places stay open 24 hours and there are several good ones. Here's a thread for you to look at:

Best Korean in Manhattan?

Also, I can specifically recommend Woo Chon (look here and here for a bit of information, but it's probably my favorite Korean restaurant of the ones I've tried in New York [though I go to the Flushing location much more than the Manhattan one, by happenstance]); Kang Suh (look here for a report on my 2003 birthday dinner; I'm still a regular and the place is still equally good); Cho Dang Gol; Han Bat; and Yangpyung Seoul Haejanguk.

Michael aka "Pan"

I was in NYC for the blizzard a couple of weeks ago and stayed in the same area where you will be. I really enjoyed Ariana Afghan Kebab House (9th between 52nd and 53rd), but was not impressed by Grand Sichuan (50th/9th) - maybe because I was just in Hong Kong and had fabulous Sichuan there. I had an enjoyable lunch at Cafe Gray in the Time Warner Center (home also to Per Se, Masa, V Steakhouse, Stone Rose, and others), but that might be further than you want to venture.

allison

MsMelkor, do you remember what you ordered at Grand Sichuan?

Yep - dan dan noodles and bean curd family style. The dan dan noodles had a bit of a metallic taste, and seemed to be missing the depth of flavor I enjoyed so much at Yellow Door in Hong Kong. The bean curd was good, but not remarkable.

allison

Octaveman,

In your area, I suggest:

Azuri Cafe (IMO, best falafel I've eaten - anywhere, including the Middle East)

get the falafel platter and let Ezra do his thing

Hallo Berlin I can't believe nobody mentioned it. German beer garden and some of the best sausage I've had.

Daisy Mae BBQ A little bit more of a hike for you - but doable. I've never been to the "home base" but have tried their pulled pork from their carts and its good stuff.

Thats all for now. I'll add more if I think of anything.

~WBC

MsMelkor, do you remember what you ordered at Grand Sichuan?

Yep - dan dan noodles and bean curd family style. The dan dan noodles had a bit of a metallic taste, and seemed to be missing the depth of flavor I enjoyed so much at Yellow Door in Hong Kong. The bean curd was good, but not remarkable.

Based on your order, I consider your appraisal fair.

I, too, ate better in China than at Grand Sichuan (and at least one if not two Sichuan-style restaurants in Flushing are also better, in my opinion), but all in all, I'm sure glad we have it.

Michael aka "Pan"

Haven't lived in NYC for a few years, but used to live at 53rd/7th Ave -- you mentioned you like Thai -- PongSri at 48th and 8th used to be a great one for pre-theatre-- maybe it still is, but they've also expanded and tour buses have been spotted in front of it recently -- approach with caution, but the red curry WAS especially good.

More recently, I've really enjoyed brunch and dinner at 44 & X Hells Kitchen -- a few blocks deeper into the West Side.

Note also that the Seinfeld "soup Nazi" inspiration was at 55th or 56th and Eighth Avenue -- the soups were outstanding and the experience entertaining (real NYC food experience) -- he takes a lot of time off now, so it may be closed.

I also had a number of informal breakfast celeb sightings at the Moon Rock Diner on W 57th St, but it's not a food destination.

Enjoy!

In a number of visits several years ago, I found that branch of Pongsri to be quite tasty, with sometimes really outstanding service, but never great. You can see my most recent comments on the place here. But the only great Thai food I've had in New York was in my visits to Sripraphai in Woodside, Queens.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Sullivan St. Bakery = Pizza, different but great

Amy's Bread = ?

Mitchell London = ?

Amy's Bread is breads, cakes, cookies, pastires. Lovely delicious stuff, not to be underestimated. But it's not a restaurant. There are a few seats in the back, and they make great grilled cheese sandwiches. You might want to buy some things to take back home with you.

Mitchell London on 9th Ave. is a great breakfast place. People say they have the best pancakes in the world, but I am not a fan of pancakes so I can't say anything about that. Great omelettes with fresh eggs (I'm always amazed how different they taste than supermarket eggs), fresh herbs, very good home fries. That's my kind of breakfast. You might want to try them the morning after Phantom.

I second the suggestion for 44 & X. Good food, very comfortable place, but while I like it I have to add I don't know that it's particularly special in any way. But it is very good. (on 44th St. and 10th Ave.)

Everyone raves about Azuri Cafe, but I have to say the one time I ate there (about five years ago) was so awful that I've never returned. I wasn't crazy about the felafel (huge felafel balls, which turned me off even before I started eating, but that's my own craziness), they were good but I didn't think they were great, but they gave me the worst gas pains I have ever had, ever. I mean like I was doubled over. So I am not objective about Azuri.

Wherever you go, enjoy New York. :smile:

Pre-theater, you could try Cafe Edison, in the Edison Hotel. I'm not sure where it is exactly, but I think it's 47th and something. It's a classic, old-school New York Jewish coffee shop with fantastic chopped liver, etc. Not fine dining, but a true institution where (I'm told) lots of actors and playwrights go or used to go.

Anyone else like Pam's Real Thai? I've been once and swooned. Again, I'm shaky on the address, but it's definitely in that area.

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Mitchell London on 9th Ave. is a great breakfast place. People say they have the best pancakes in the world, but I am not a fan of pancakes so I can't say anything about that. Great omelettes with fresh eggs (I'm always amazed how different they taste than supermarket eggs), fresh herbs, very good home fries. That's my kind of breakfast.

i'm going to NYC tomorrow for two days and would like to check out Mitchell London (thanks for the rec!) It's located at 9th and _____ ?

ps. Somebody, please please please respond soon, I'm leaving tomorrow am. I know - no more procrastinating!

thanks!

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

Mitchell London on 9th Ave. is a great breakfast place. People say they have the best pancakes in the world, but I am not a fan of pancakes so I can't say anything about that. Great omelettes with fresh eggs (I'm always amazed how different they taste than supermarket eggs), fresh herbs, very good home fries. That's my kind of breakfast.

i'm going to NYC tomorrow for two days and would like to check out Mitchell London (thanks for the rec!) It's located at 9th and _____ ?

ps. Somebody, please please please respond soon, I'm leaving tomorrow am. I know - no more procrastinating!

thanks!

Could it be on 6th Ave and 57th? I think that's right.

I didn't see this until now. Mitchell London is on 9th Ave. between 35-36 Streets. (Or possibly a block before, but definitely not more than that.) It's on the east side of the street. I hope you read this on time! Enjoy your stay. There's also a Mitchell London (if it's still Mitchell London?) upstairs at the Fairway Supermarket (Broadway and 74th Street.)

For pre- or post-theater, I'd suggest Bistro du Vent, 42nd Street between 9th and 10th Avenues (closer to 9th). It's a Mario Batalli/Joe Bastianich restaurant and the chef is the terrific David Pasternack from Esca. The food is honest bistro fare done very, very well, the wine list is really good and the prices are reasonable. And -- I think the kitchen is open until 2 am.