• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moderately Priced French In Vancouver

Fay Jai

As with Regalade, Chez Michel (chezmichelvancouver.com) is on the North Shore, one bridge north of Robson, and also worth the trip. The ambiance is white-cloth-bistro, and it's not as atmospheric or up-market as other restaurants mentioned above.

Consistency has been the key here for a number of years, and good value menu selections. Their PF menu right now has some good ol' stand-bys; both rabbit and duck! and the Moules Frites (with the garlic cream sauce) is a great lunch-time choice.

Bon appetit!

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

Oh you wascals. :hmmm:

Hey Deborah, i know this is totally off topic, but werre you at the Scissor Sisters on Friday, i thought i saw you from afar....

ok back to you crazy rabbits!

Oh and what about Cafe de Paris, they have very reasonable priced set menus, I like the atmosphere and their steak Frites.. hmmnn so good I could eat them right now!

Actually...Yeah, what about Cafe de Paris? Turns out that I think that is the place that Amber and I went on our honeymoon. Still any good or old and tired out? (We can go back for our anniversary...this is MY day! :laugh: )

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Oh and what about Cafe de Paris, they have very reasonable priced set menus, I like the atmosphere and their steak Frites.. hmmnn so good I could eat them right now!

Actually...Yeah, what about Cafe de Paris? Turns out that I think that is the place that Amber and I went on our honeymoon. Still any good or old and tired out? (We can go back for our anniversary...this is MY day! :laugh: )

Cafe de Paris changed chefs in fairly recent memory (the last 8 months for sure) and I personally have not been there in that time frame. I do believe that the current chef (Scott Kidd, right????) has earned a fairly high regard in the community, however.

Last time I ate there, it was for lunch. I had a fabulous omellete and wonderful frites. Service was extremely gracious, though I did feel like a bit of a dork because I don't speak french. My fault entirely for not paying attention in grade 9!

I think this place may hit the nail on the head for your requirements..... modestly priced and within spitting distance of downtown.

I hope you enjoy and report back with an account of your experience.

P.S. as an aside in case either you or your wife are chocolate lovers, I can highly recommend Chocolate Arts on West 4th Avenue for a chocolate adventure. Everything(and I'm not kidding about this) is top notch.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I did feel like a bit of a dork because I don't speak french.  My fault entirely for not paying attention in grade 9!

bonjour j`mappel premiere rue a gauche :biggrin:

oh thank you again TFA for lightening a bit of a "heavy" evening here on egullet. You rock man :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

• 4 weeks later...

Partly a bump and more tomorrow...But man, has the service at Cafe de Paris gone kaput.

Some of the worst I've ever had. :angry:

Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

Partly a bump and more tomorrow...But man, has the service at Cafe de Paris gone kaput.

Some of the worst I've ever had. :angry:

Jason

Jason,

Too bad about CdeP. I was about to give them a try with their new chef.

The Fat Boy Guzzle in your signature sounds interesting. Any reasoning behind the use of Jack AND Wild Turkey? A little Tennessee and a little Kentucky perhaps?

Well, ok, it isn't tomorrow... :raz:

(Montrachet...Byron, who is British, thought that a drink featuring Jack, Wild Turkey and Southern Comfort would be perfect for me, the sole American on the floor. My apologies to Mr. James Beam, I'm sure that Bryon would have included you had he remembered LOL :laugh: )

SO....Vancouver. We arrived at around 11:30 AM on Saturday morning and stayed at the Comfort Inn Downtown on Granville. (Sort of loud, and stepping over BC's street kids in the morning brought back pleasant memories of the Ave Rats that I get to deal with at work. Otherwise, pretty ok for the $$$.)

Went to Le Crocodile to try to get lunch, as I had checked the website THAT MORNING and they had said that they were open for lunch. We got there, and they obviously were not open for lunch. We asked the ladies there where we might be able to get some French, they suggested Joe Fortes? We knew of a place on Robson where we had gone b4 for lunch (we found out when we walked by it was Hermitage.) They said what kind of resto Fortes was, and I reiterated my desire for French. They suggested Bacchus. Walked to Bacchus, and saw that they were still serving their brunch menu, which looked like most other higher end brunches. We took a pass. Yeah, Bacchus is good...but I didn't come to BC to eat food that I could eat in Seattle. Walked Robson to see if the place whose name we couldn't remember was open. It was Hermitage, and it wasn't. (What do ya'll think of this place, btw?)

Gave up and went to Joe Forte's, as we were starving and were impressed with the fact that Le Crocodile suggested it. Amber had Eggs Benedict, and I had the seafood hash. Both were very good, I could really taste the smoke on the grilled scallops and shrimp. Delicious.

Did the Robson Granville walk and went back to the hotel for a nap. Got up too late and went to the bar downstairs to see if we could get some absinthe. Doolin's Irish Pub? I don't think so. The tall, willowy blond with the badly plucked eyebrows and even worse attititude :hmmm: sniffed to us that we could come back at 9pm to get it at the club downstairs, otherwise we could try a place called Sip? Sit? She couldn't remember. We decided to just stay there and have Martinis.

Now, I don't know where she learned to make drinks, or matbe this is a Vancouver thing, but even if it is a "Vodka" martini, I expect some vermouth in it. Is that so wrong? She ended up dribbling some into Amber's "martini", which otherwise would have just been a shot of Ketel One. Oh, and what bartender doesn't know what Lillet is? She positively glared at me when I asked for it.

So, onto Cafe de Paris. After getting taken for a ride by our taxi driver, (and knowing it! :angry: ) we got there, and, after a warm greeting, were seated a table away from where we had eaten on our honeymoon :smile:

Then we got our waiter.....(More later, gotta go for now...)