• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moderately Priced French In Vancouver

Fay Jai

My Wife and I are heading up for my B-day in February. I LOVE French food, and would like suggestions on restos near Robson that would be good.

(I plan on a sugar coma at Notte's Bon Tonne.) I'm looking to spend about $120 or so for thew both of us. I keep hearing about this Hamilton Street Grill...worthy of a detour off of the French path? I guess the Chef posts here?

AND

would like to know the best place where I could get an absinthe as I've never had one.

Thanks!

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Hi Fay Jai,

Is your $120 budget inclusive of beverages and tip/tax? This is obviously quite different from $120 for food only. Le Crocodole is one block off Robson Street but is not for the budget conscious. They are regarded as one of the best restaurants in the city. Le Gavroche is also just off of Robson Street. The owner, Manuel is an amazing host, which has been discussed on egullet before. Great room and great food. Those would be my two picks. I'm sure others will join in with their suggestions. Good Luck :biggrin: .

Derek

Bev/Tip and Tax....$120 would be great if we could get away with it.

We are not huge drinkers, we like to spend our cash on the food :wink::laugh:.

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

My Wife and I are heading up for my B-day in February. I LOVE French food, and would like suggestions on restos near Robson that would be good.

(I plan on a sugar coma at Notte's Bon Tonne.) I'm looking to spend about $120 or so for thew both of us. I keep hearing about this Hamilton Street Grill...worthy of a detour off of the French path? I guess the Chef posts here?

AND

would like to know the best place where I could get an absinthe as I've never had one.

Thanks!

If you go to Bistro Pastis on West 4th Avenue (a bit away from Robson Street, but not that far) you will be able to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, in that they are a French Restaurant and they serve absinthe. Really good food, I might add. They also have a special entree on offer (in keeping your price point in mind), Tuesday through Saturday:

Tuesday Coq au Vin, 19.50

Wednesday Lamb Shank, 21.50

Thursday Foie de Veau, 19.50

Friday Truite Amandine, 19.50

Saturday Saucisse de Toulouse, 19.50

Here's their url: http://www.bistropastis.com/main.cfm

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Having done both Le Gavroche and Bistro Pastis recently, I'd have to give the nod to Pastis. In fairness our meal at Le Gavroche was during DOV which we have all discovered is not really a level playing field. But the food at Pastis is more ... I dunno ... relaxing(?) I just felt more at home. And dammit, the cassoulet was pretty amazing which didn't hurt.

A.

If you're willing to make the drive over to the west side for Notte's Bon Ton, then I'd also give my hands-down vote to Bistro Pastis as the French restaurant of choice. It's the perfect place to go for a special occasion: a warm, comfortable room with John Blakely as the consummate host. Fantastic value for your food dollar... and the best pommes frites in town.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Wow , I can not believe that no one has posted saying skip the French Food and go straight to the Hamilton Street Grill ! It was a perfect set up ! I know now who will be getting 30 % less caramel sauce on their gingerbread !

Seriously , I would head to Le Crocodile. Michel Jacob is a fantastic chef - Both Hawksworth and Feenie worked under him at some point in their careers.

The price point is good. Fairly priced for the quality and quantity you get.

If you have a budget in mind, talk to Robert, the sommolier. He will set you up with the best wine that fits your budget.

It is by the Sutton Place Hotel so you do not even have to drive if you are staying at any of the major downtown hotels.

Skip the rest and head to the best !

If it is a diabetic come you are after, swing by the Hamilton Street Grill for a gingerbread pudding, extra caramel sauce ! ( I will have a little bit extra because I will not be giving it to any of the local egulleters !!! )

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

If it is a diabetic come you are after, swing by the Hamilton Street Grill for a gingerbread pudding, extra caramel sauce ! ( I will have a little bit extra because I will not be giving it to any of the local egulleters !!! )

Chef, do you want a Kolachy today or don't you!! :angry:

:raz:

I agree with Mooshmouse: Bistro Pastis is one of my favourite places, and I like to go there for birthdays. Provence Marinaside may also work for you, although it's easy to go over your budget there. It's nice if the weather's good, though, pretty view. :smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Chef, do you want a Kolachy today or don't you!! :angry:

:raz:

No kidding Deborah! You give & give, and then it gets thrown in your face ... :sad:

A.

Moderately Priced....... le crocodile...... hmmm should these words be in the same sentence ?

well i`m perpetually poor, so dont take my word as gospel.

i had a great meal at le croc` and pastis , last year , cant remember the bill for the life of me though , strange that, maybe i blocked it from my mind as it could have been painful. any way.

both places are very good and i know pastis has absinth ( that stuff is the work of the devil i tell you )

tt

Don't get too excited about trying absinthe. If you're going to Lumiere, have a Sauzerac at the bar prior to dinner, the only good use for absinthe that I've yet found.

(And just so no one thinks I'm completely insane, Fay Jai asked about Lumiere on *another* board.)

And if you have a car, and love French, La Regelade in West Van is a must, certainly in my opinion the most Parisian bistro in town.

And forgive my brain deaded-ness today, someone want to help with the name of the cafe in the Acedemy Francais at 6th/7th and Granville? I've only been there maybe ten times, I've got a mental block the size of a La Regelade casserole today. It's a reasonable lunch spot, less successful for dinner. Cheap, and about a scenic half hour walk from Robson & Granville. Good steak frites at lunch.

Don't get too excited about trying absinthe. If you're going to Lumiere, have a Sauzerac at the bar prior to dinner, the only good use for absinthe that I've yet found. 

(And just so no one thinks I'm completely insane, Fay Jai asked about Lumiere on *another* board.)

And if you have a car, and love French, La Regelade in West Van is a must, certainly in my opinion the most Parisian bistro in town.

And forgive my brain deaded-ness today, someone want to help with the name of the cafe in the Acedemy Francais at 6th/7th and Granville? I've only been there maybe ten times, I've got a mental block the size of a La Regelade casserole today. It's a reasonable lunch spot, less successful for dinner. Cheap, and about a scenic half hour walk from Robson & Granville. Good steak frites at lunch.

salade de friuts ?

tt

Crocodile aside I will cast my vote(s) for Pastis or the original Provence on west 10th. Both are more likely to hit your budget, both are more relaxed and the food quality is very high.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

"(And just so no one thinks I'm completely insane, Fay Jai asked about Lumiere on *another* board.)"

Guilty as charged! :raz:

As usual, egullet has more (and funnier) responses...

AND...nwyles, if we have time, you'll definetly be seeing us, I've been positively salivating over reading about your steak and pudding...Yum. Hopefully I'll be able to say hi. :biggrin:

Edited by Fay Jai (log)

I just did a quick menu scan on Pastis and Le Crocodile.

Very similar in price point. I think that Le Crocodile is percieved more expensive because of it's history in Vancouver but both are pretty close. You would do well at either. We would be splitting hairs about these two places very soon !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Very similar in price point. I think that Le Crocodile is percieved more expensive because of it's history in Vancouver but both are pretty close. You would do well at either. We would be splitting hairs about these two places very soon !

DUDE! Above and Beyond the Call! What, are ya' trying to brownnose me to come in? It's starting to work! :laugh:

DUDE! Above and Beyond the Call! What, are ya' trying to brownnose me to come in? It's starting to work! :laugh:

Hey , if could get out of here, I would be at Le Crocodile !! No brownnose intended. Just double checking my facts. :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Hey , if could get out of here, I would be at Le Crocodile !! No brownnose intended. Just double checking my facts. :biggrin:

I can vouch for him too! He had clipboard in hand at lunch. I now know more about the menus at both places than I need to! :laugh:

A.

Not having dined at Le Crocodile in a year or two, I scanned their website and will agree that the two are rather similar pricewise, with Le Crocodile being marginally more expensive.

Both restaurants are fantastic. John Blakely was actually the Maitre d' at Le Crocodile for a number of years, which is where I first made his acquaintance. I'd say that Le Crocodile is slightly more upscale than Bistro Pastis, the latter striving for more of a traditional neighbourhood bistro feel with their recent renovation.

Neil's absolutely right. To choose between the two would be splitting hairs indeed.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

MMmmmm....Rabbit...Probably the only thing that might get me out of my duck rut...

Oh you wascals. :hmmm:

Hey Deborah, i know this is totally off topic, but werre you at the Scissor Sisters on Friday, i thought i saw you from afar....

ok back to you crazy rabbits!

Oh and what about Cafe de Paris, they have very reasonable priced set menus, I like the atmosphere and their steak Frites.. hmmnn so good I could eat them right now!

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf