• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese New Year Banquet Menu

Gastro888

Ai ya! You people must be in cahoots with my dragon boat team. They're trying to sell me, too! :hmmm:

Uncle Ben, Auntie spaghettti, I beg forgiveness! *kowtows*

:laugh:

I will post a picture from the dinner. Mostly of the food and a few shots of the people. I'll let y'all guess which one I am.

At some of the CNY dinner parties I've done, I bought the 'gold' wrapped chocolate coins and put them in Hong Bao packets. They were pretty on the table. I just wish the candy itself tasted better!

Menu hasn't been done yet. Ai ya!

Going traditional with the menu.

You can come if you're here!!!! Awww....

Oh, jo-mel, that's a great idea.

I was thinking of doing a road trip to Philly's Chinatown to buy party favors and look at cheongsams.

How about red envelopes for each plate? You can fill them with party favours like: chocolates(non CNY), red candies, gingered and/or dried package fruits, money...

The envelopes can be place name tags if you want to alternate boy, girl etc....that way you can mix it up a bit if your table guests do not know each other.

At some of the CNY dinner parties I've done, I bought the  'gold' wrapped chocolate coins and put them in Hong Bao packets.  They were pretty on the table. I just wish the candy itself tasted better!

I have some gold paper wrapped chocolates shaped like the gold ingots of old. I'll be giving those out in hun baos to my students on Wed.

Ben, can a man be "mui geen"? :laugh::laugh:

Gee, if this match goes through, how will the family manage "pang tay" for all of us on eGullet?

That'll be another food thread . . "ho lowh po bang" and "ga nui bang"! :laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Well, let's see. Last year for fun, we celebrate a Robbie Burns/Chinese New Year. We dined on Chinese food and each got up to read a Robbie Burns poem. I copied a sampling of poems so everyone could read it in an old english voice. It was fun!!

To put a spin on this, depending on if the restaurant allows it or maybe they have one in the back. Bring in a karoake machine with a monitor so the table guests can sing along. You could spin the bottle(bottle of soya sauce), the person chosen has to belt out a song for their dinner.

Well, let's see. Last year for fun, we celebrate a Robbie Burns/Chinese New Year.  We dined on Chinese food and each got up to read a Robbie Burns poem. I copied a sampling of poems so everyone could read it in an old english voice. It was fun!!

To put a spin on this, depending on if the restaurant allows it or maybe they have one in the back. Bring in a karoake machine with a monitor so the table guests can sing along. You could spin the bottle(bottle of soya sauce), the person chosen has to belt out a song for their dinner.

That sounds like lots of fun! There's no time limit at Mark's, is there, Gastro?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Only if he has a big ol' mole on the side of his face like they do in the movies.

I got a hung bao with a gold ingot chocolate on Saturday night. *opens packet and chews*

I think I just broke my tooth. It tastes like cheap Tootsie Rolls. *phtooey*

Hey, don't forget the suckling pig!!! My bridal price ain't cheap, ya know!!!

Dejah, "mui geen or mui yin" I'll try anything just one time. :laugh: At this stage of my life, I have no shame. :raz: Besides, I am heeding a higher calling by trying to marry Gastro off. Don't know what to do about the bolts of silk, but suckling pigs? Yeah. :wub:

Here is a game: everyone say their Chinese name at the table. Then you either draw a names out of hat. The chosen person goes around the table and tries to say each person's Chinese name. Oh, you have to have little prizes to give to the person(s) who remember the most names. Prizes can be inexpensive: beef jerky, incense, little tea cups etc...

Well, let's see. Last year for fun, we celebrate a Robbie Burns/Chinese New Year.  We dined on Chinese food and each got up to read a Robbie Burns poem. I copied a sampling of poems so everyone could read it in an old english voice. It was fun!!

Oooh, cool. Corny karaoke. I like it!!!

Nah, I don't think there's a time limit. Besides, if we have 4 tables like we did last year, I don't think they'll mind!

Higher calling? You mean the voices in your head, right? Ai ya...

Hiya Pan, welcome to the wonderful world of Chinese dating...here we go:

"mui geen" - matchmaker

"pang tay" - Hand out sweets. Did I get this one right?

"ho lowh po bang" -literally "get wife cookies". Wife cookies...someone step in here. This Toisan mui needs a lil' help. We just give out Maria's bakery gift certificates!

"ga nui bang"- literally "marrying off the daughter cookies".

Heheh, Ben -  I love this!!!  :wub:  Herb, please accept my sincere apologies.  (I still think you're cute). Perhaps this one is better.  Gastro, please be patient, all good things come to those who wait.  (It's the last photo, after all those pizza shots :wink: )

It's okay. I should've known better than to pose like that. And I did pose for the cofounder of the site, after all.

I think I prefer to be more like Ko Chun (God of Gamblers) and not have pics of me floating around.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Hiya Pan, welcome to the wonderful world of Chinese dating...here we go:

"mui geen" - matchmaker

"pang tay" - Hand out sweets.  Did I get this one right? 

"ho lowh po bang" -literally "get wife cookies".  Wife cookies...someone step in here.  This Toisan mui needs a lil' help.  We just give out Maria's bakery gift certificates!

"ga nui bang"- literally "marrying off the daughter cookies".

Wow, that's way more than I know about this stuff.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

"ho lowh po bang" -literally "get wife cookies".  Wife cookies...someone step in here.  This Toisan mui needs a lil' help.  We just give out Maria's bakery gift certificates!

If it is "lowh po bang" then it means "wife biscuit". It is not really a biscuit, more like a round disk of winter melon paste wrapped with some flaky pastry. They are so good hot out of the oven..... It is not to be given during weddings, it got its name from other places.

Edited by Yuki (log)

If it is "lowh po bang" then it means "wife biscuit". It is not really a biscuit, more like a round disk of winter melon paste wrapped with some flaky pastry. They are so good hot out of the oven..... It is not to be given during weddings, it got its name from other places.

Edit: I am here to add the story

So one day the wife sold herself for some money to cure her husband's dad but eventually the husband invented a type of biscuit that is really delicious. In the end, he made enough money to get his wife back..... What a happy ending, or should I say lame?

Edited by Yuki (log)

I guess it's a regional thing. In Maryland biscuits are what's served with fried chicken! I know that biscuits in the UK are cookies over here.

I thought "bang" is the general all purpose term for cooky. If it's not, then I'm teaching a bunch of kids the wrong thing when I ask them, "Neigh sick bang bang mah?" (You want to eat a cooky?) :laugh:

Oh my gosh. That's the story? I'm sorry but if I had to sell myself for my father's health and all my husband could do was make a COOKY to buy me back I'd kok him for sure. Dude, go borrow some money!!! Sell an organ, lah! :raz:

edited to say: For my father-IN-LAW? Oh he'd better go rob a bank instead...

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

Gastro and yuki, you are both bang on right with the translations.

Ya see Herb, this Gastro has language and culture, she cooks, has a sense of humour, going up the corporate ladder so fast that she's getting nose bleeds. The price just went up to 2 suckling pigs, toss the silk. :raz: