• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Over and Underrated Restaurants

chef koo

Pair Bistro around 10th and Alma. All local or as close as you can get West Coast cuisine. Great service, staff that know the growing location of almost all the products used in the dishes and a well thoughtout wine list that includes many small and unknown BC wines.

Thanks T - that's a great recommendation. I've already made a reservation!

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

And here's the list of underrated restaurants from the Georgia Straight's Golden Plates 2010, at least according to 'Vancouver industry insiders': Golden Plates 2010

Asian

Blue Water Raw Bar

Dan Japanese Restaurant

Hoshi Sushi

Irashi Sushi

iSushi

Legendary Noodle

Phnom Penh

Sushi Town

Taste of Vietnam

Tasty Village

Toshi Sushi

Yuji’s

West Coast

Alibi Room

Enigma

Five Sails

Hamilton Street Grill

Joey’s

Pear Tree

Italian

La Buca

Gigi’s on Davie

Osteria Napoli

La Quercia

French

Hermitage

La Brasserie

Mistral

Salad de Fruits

Twisted Fork Bistro

Latin American

Baru Latina

Cobre

Dona Cata

Eatery

Little Nest

Sophie’s Cosmic Café

Splitz Grill

Mediterranean

Nuba

Pasparos Taverna

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

A note on Osteria Napoli...they are having their legendary porchetta night (a whole pig roast) on April Sunday, 11th. Check it out if you have not experienced this. Book with Ginette soon and go early (6-ish) for the photo-op of the parading of the roasted pig. Definitely an underrated East Side gem.

Edited by fmed (log)

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

Thanks for the heads up fmed. What is it like to dine at Osteria Napoli on a 'normal' evening?

Kentan, that's an interesting list of underated spots to eat. I would think Sophie's is a little over rated myself, but perhaps a visit is in order. But I would agree that the Blue Water Raw Bar does not get as much respect as it should. Absolutely fantastic sushi.

It's admittedly old-school, but the food that I have had there has been very good over the years. It has a lot of personality, for sure.

fmed

i also wonder how any place that consistantly has a standing line-up (sophies) can be be considered under-rated, never been( nor have i ever had any desire) but i have also heard its quite over-rated

Yes...Sophie's, Anton's, Stepho's. I can't explain the line up without feeling smug and judgmental. (At least Anton's has the "quantity" to back it up). Perhaps they all used to be good back in the day and that reputation still carries them? I don't ever remember any of them being anything but bad or mediocre though even back in the day. I admit to being convinced to lining for Anton's and Stepho's with friends in my days as a starving student...but after one or two visits, I refused to go.

fmed