• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegemite: The Topic

mira

ok, heres the story: my friend just got home from Australia and he brought me some vegemite, challenging me to create a meal with it, including dessert Can any of you chefs help me out, especially with dessert, with ideas? TIA!

Did you try the vegemite website? www.vegemite.com.au

You can probably use it to flavour a stew or something, but the dessert idea is really irking me.

Did you eat some on hot buttered toast to get an idea of what it tastes like??

Marmite is much better than Vegmite <ducks quickly>

Vegemite is quite sweet, so I guess you could use it instead of beer in recipes like Xmas pudding, or hide it in sticky toffee pudding, or do something along the lines of a traditional Aussie vegemite and banana sandwich, maybe as a bread and buter pudding, or deep fried...I'd try it out first, however before inflicting it on others...

I prefer marmite to vegemite, but actually of find the former sweeter then the latter. But, I'm thinking that they both are not really that sweet at all.

You know the more I think about it the more I am convinced that a vegemite flavoured dessert would be revolting. I have not heard of this vegemite and banana sandwich idea before and I'm not sure I'm happy about it now. :wink:

I think I've heard of using marmite in some sort of meat glaze

I'm not really sure what you'd do with it for dessert. I love marmite, but I can't really imagine it making a good dessert. I'd stick with something that's not overly sweet - marmite (vegemite in your case) and sugar strikes me as pretty gross

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

As a homebrewer, it is my (possibly incorrect) understanding that vegemite and marmite are made with the slurry from beer brewing.

Which means it's yeast.

Is the yeast still alive? If so, just use it for baking something.

(If it's been cooked until the yeast is dead, then disregard this post.)

* AB drinks one of those "Guiness Pub Draught" beers, with the nitrogen cannister in the bottom of the can.

* AB wonders what Budweiser would taste like with one of those...

<AB> . o O (Like shit, still, I should think.)

Stolen from this thread in another msg board:

QtM's killer spaghetti sauce

1/2-1 lb favorite ground red meat (beef, pork, italian sausage, emu, etc)

1 large onion, chopped

a few tbsp olive oil

2 or 3 large garlic cloves, chopped

29 oz. can diced tomatos or tomato sauce (even better, 4 cups fresh tomatos, chopped)

12 oz. can tomato paste

2 tbsp parsley flakes

1/2 tsp basil

1/2 tsp marjoram

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp oregano

1 tsp sugar if desired

2 cups liquid (water, beef consomme, chicken broth, whatever but make sure the liquid is relatively low salt)

2 tbsp lemon juice

1-2 tbsp Vegemite

1 bay leaf

Beef Stew With Vegemite

1 pkg Schwann's frozen Sirloin beef tips in gravy (or about a pound of stew meat)

4-6 potatos, peeled and cut up into smaller bits

a few cups of carrots, cut up

two onions, cut up into yummy-sized pieces

8 oz tomato sauce or a cup of spicy V-8 or both

1 can beef consomme (campbells works nice)

1/2 tsp black pepper

1-2 Tbsp vegemite

Some Worcestershire sauce if desired

Mix it all together in a pressure cooker

bring it up to pressure for about 18-20 minutes

let cool

thicken liquid with cornstarch if desired

eat

Pot Roast

3 lb beef pot roast

8 potatos

3 large onions

lots of carrots

I cup beef consomme

1 cup spicy V-8

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/2 tsp MSG

1 tbsp vegemite

olive oil

2 bay leaves

Sear pot roast in olive oil, dump into pressure cooker. Add veggies.

Mix spices and vegemite and liquids in a bowl, stir up good

pour over pot roast and veggies

seal pressure cooker, cook on high for 80 minutes

remove solids, thicken juices with cornstarch if desired to make yummy gravy

serve

add bay leaves

Cuppa Vegemite:

1 cup hot water

1 tsp vegemite

PS: I am a guy.

• 2 years later...

Over a year ago I read that Vegemite was banned from entering the US, and sure enough my store's suppliers stopped carrying it. It was ludicrous and not worth peeling the scab now. But I'm bumping this topic to see if that ruling has changed or any other updates.

Re: Vegemite ban - http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/vegemite.asp

Can always get it online if the local stores don't have it. :)

http://www.britishdelights.com/prod_S281.htm -This is just one of the online e-tailers that sell it... can probably find it cheap(er) elsewhere too.

There's also marmite ( http://www.amazon.com/Marmite-125g/dp/B000...89821217&sr=8-1 ) or bovril ( http://www.amazon.com/Bovril-125g/dp/B000B...89821217&sr=8-1 ) :wub: Bovril is beef flavored though. :)

I know this sounds like a weird combo, but vegemite and honey isn't a bad combination to try when you're thinking about dessert options, as long as you have more vegemite than honey. It's also really good with butter on Milk Arrowroots, which are slightly sweet biscuits that remind me a bit of vanilla wafers (and are soo addictive). I don't actually know of a single dessert recipe that calls for the stuff, though ...

A quick google search did pull this up:

http://www.slashfood.com/2007/01/26/vegemi...-australia-day/

Hey, if garlic ice cream supposedly works, why not try something a bit more adventurous? :raz:

Edit: Oops -- just noticed the orig. post date... Oh well; this'll be around in case anyone's ever in search of vegemite dessert options in the distant future?

Edited by Liz_W (log)

I know this sounds like a weird combo, but vegemite and honey isn't a bad combination to try when you're thinking about dessert options, as long as you have more vegemite than honey.  It's also really good with butter on Milk Arrowroots, which are slightly sweet biscuits that remind me a bit of vanilla wafers (and are soo addictive). I don't actually know of a single dessert recipe that calls for the stuff, though ...

A quick google search did pull this up:

http://www.slashfood.com/2007/01/26/vegemi...-australia-day/

Hey, if garlic ice cream supposedly works, why not try something a bit more adventurous?  :raz:

Edit: Oops -- just noticed the orig. post date... Oh well; this'll be around in case anyone's ever in search of vegemite dessert options in the distant future?

This is one forum that really loves old topics.

ok, heres the story: my friend just got home from Australia and he brought me some vegemite, challenging me to create a meal with it, including dessert Can any of you chefs help me out, especially with dessert, with ideas? TIA!

My favorite way to use yeast spreads/extracts is to stir some into hot buttered noodles!

Or use it to up the BEEFINESS of meat substitutes.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I started with Vegemite last January, a tiny jar gifted me as a joke by a friend, and became addicted. Ran out, then found Marmite at a local store, hence became addicted to that. Even found someone in the U.K. thread to send me the limited-edition Guinness Marmite.

Now, a coworker of my wife spent her honeymoon in Australia and brought me a much larger jar of Vegemite.

Able finally to sample them side-by-side, I must admit I like them both. Marmite is saltier and runnier; Vegemite has more of a molasses undertone. Seriously, I don't prefer one to the other, just enjoy them each for their unique properties.

During a period in which I'd overdone it on Marmite and needed a time-out, I found myself enjoying country barley miso spread on buttered toast. Try it.

Hahaha vegemite! I remember eating these alot back in primary school but haven't eaten it since because we don't normally buy it back at home hmm...

I never knew you could eat it as a dessert?! LOL! The only way I've had it was slathered with margarine or butter on top of a cracker or sandwich. It's an acquired taste but I did have some fond memories of it ...ahh, back in the days...:blush:

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

• 3 months later...
I like vegemite, I eat it almost everday, but I think a dessert may be pushing the culinary boundaries a little bit. Maybe you could do a very rich chocolate thing (cake, souffle, torte) with a tiny bit of vegemite.

I've made my signature Vegemite-Parmesan Cheesecake 3 times now and I'm still constantly surprised by how good it is. Everyone who eats it is surprised by how much they like it, even people who swear they hate vegemite. Something about the fat and sugar in the base morphs it into a subtle, nutty flavour.

PS: I am a guy.

oo I hate vegemite and all the other imitators there are. I have been told that makes me unaustralian. Having said that I recently brewed a rather strong dark ale that tasted like vegemite which wasn't too bad. I guess as far as dessert goes the only thing I can think of is maybe in a guiness and chocolate cake instead of the guiness.

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance