• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shishbarak

1) stuffing. This is the basic lebanese meat filling for fried kibbe and savory pastries.

1  tbsp ghee

1/4 cup pine nuts

1/2 lb ground beef

1 large onion, finely chopped

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp lebanese mixed spice

dash cinnamon

a few grindings black pepper

Just thought I'd add that, if you replace that beef with lamb, this is the basic filling for kibbeh in Saudi Arabia, at least in my experience.

[Homer]Mmmm..... Kibbeh.....[/Homer]

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I have to admit, my mom just mails it to me when I need it so I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is mix of nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. Does anyone have a precise recipe? You can often find it ready-made in a middle eastern store.

Sounds like Baharat ... which has perhaps as many recipes as people making it. Recipes often include black pepper, clover, coriander, cumin, cardamom, paprika, ground dried lemon/lim, rose petals, etc. Any number of cookbooks have recipes. I also found a number of variations here. Version #3, "Syrian Style Baharat," sounds like what you're describing. It's also like Clifford Wright's version.

rien

Baharat sounds like Ras el Hanout. As many versions as "heads of the shop" making it.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

1) stuffing. This is the basic lebanese meat filling for fried kibbe and savory pastries.

Just thought I'd add that, if you replace that beef with lamb, this is the basic filling for kibbeh in Saudi Arabia, at least in my experience.

Yep, and I bet they use beef too, if it happens to be cheaper. (Or already in the freezer :wink: )