• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite breakfast cereal

Ling

Frosted mini-wheats, spoon sized, half and half with Cheerios.

Broguiere's Milk - comes in a glass bottle and tastes the way milk is supposed to taste. Worth every penny of the inflated price and th $1.00 deposit on each bottle.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Oatmeal is my real favorite. But of the packaged varieties.

Peanut Butter Bumpers. Mmmm Mmm

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Isn't this from Laverne & Shirley?  Didn't she have cereal with pepsi or something strange like that...not to say you're strange.  :biggrin:

Milk and Pepsi. Where's the ack emoticon when you need it? :blink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I actually bought milk and pepsi today and thought about Lavern and Shirley ...I dont intend to mix them I bought the milk because Apple Jacks are on sale this week 3 for 7.00...froot loops too but weird ones with marshmallows :raz:

apple jacks for dessert after I trim up my 2 beef fillets also on sale 3.99 per pound

shoprite NJ

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I my faster-metabolism days (college! :biggrin: ), I would come home from my summer job of working in a metal fab plant and sit on the easy chair in the living room, read a magazine, and eat a box of cereal. Ideally this would be something with big chunks to grab on to (frosted mini-wheats, etc), but sometimes even raisin bran was chosen.

I like most cereals, even very sweet and very healthy kinds, but my current fave is Kashi GoLean (and I just ate 1/4 of a box sitting here at my computer).

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Honey Nut Cheerios (heart healthy and lowers cholesterol doncha know!) :biggrin:

Cheerios was my fave cereal as a kid, but their heart-healthy image is one of the most egregious scams going. 210 mg of sodium per serving is really pretty outrageous.

Yeah I know I'm a one trick pony. :wacko:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I like to eat Cheerios with Diet Coke.

Um. Diet coke IN the cereal?

Isn't this from Laverne & Shirley? Didn't she have cereal with pepsi or something strange like that...not to say you're strange. :biggrin:

My grandma would put a little coffee in our rice krispies 'n milk 'n sugar. Sort of a cafe au lait rice krispies. It was good!

My faves now are old faithfuls, Frosted Flakes, Raisin Bran, Honey Nut Cheerios, all sans coffee milk.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

General Mills used to have a puffed cereal called "Triples", that was waaaay better (and less sweet) than Rice Krispies; it was a blend of rice, corn and wheat puffs (made better "rice krispy" treats, as well). Sadly, i haven't been able to find it for years. I think they stopped making it.

Or maybe it's just a conspiracy to keep me, personally, from eating it.

Yeah.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

My all time favorite is Honeycomb -- eaten as a snack, straight out the box, no milk. My favorite in a bowl is Cocoa Krispies because of the chocolate milk and the whole idea of chocolate for breakfast. When I lived in Hawaii cereal was too expensive for my meager grad student salary (shipping costs are a factor of weight and volume). When I moved to DC, I ate cereal for breakfast and dinner for about a month straight I was so excited to have it again.

My current favorite is Smart Start with soy protein with some extra fruit tossed in. Stays crunchy and I don't get hungry again by 10.

I love Heritage-O's, especially in the summer, when I can get fresh organic berries to put in there with it. I like them best with vanilla Silk soy milk, but 2% milk is OK too.

When I have morning sickness, I like Gorilla Munch, which is essentially an organic Cap'n Crunch. The Whole Foods 365 brand Fruit Loops are excellent too, though I haven't made it up to the store lately to stock up.

If I could eat anything with no consequences, I'd eat Cap'n Crunch, Fruit Loops and Golden Grahams every day.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Cap'n Crunch, straight out of the box.

But oh, my, does one pay for that!

Cap'n Crunch is divine. I prefer it with milk.

And what is UP with the ravaged roof-of-the-mouth after you're done with a bowl?!?!?

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

Currently, Whole Foods 365 Raisin Bran. At $2 for a big box, it can't be beat. With a banana and 1% milk.

I love cereal of all kinds. There's some other WF healthy type brands I can't quite remember, but one makes a maple raisin and a maple pecan big cluster type of granola. Really great but too expensive and too many calories! :-(

Born Free, Now Expensive

Cap'n Crunch, straight out of the box.

But oh, my, does one pay for that!

Cap'n Crunch is divine. I prefer it with milk.

And what is UP with the ravaged roof-of-the-mouth after you're done with a bowl?!?!?

Has anyone read Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson? There's a marvelous 4 page exposition regarding the science of eating Cap'n Crunch (milk temperature, speed of eating to avoid the crunch turning to mush while avoiding roof-of-mouth damage, etc). It has nothing whatsoever to do with the plot of the story, but I love it anyway.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Lately it's been Barbara's Oat Squares (I didn't even know they came in vanilla, but eww) and Heritage Flakes (I believe they have flax in them, so I colloquially call them flax flakes). I also like Heritage O's when I can find them. I used to like Kashi's Go Lean Crunch, but lately I've found it too sweet. Since I'm on a supermarket boycott (personal), and national brand cereals are so ridiculously overpriced, I've given up Frosted Mini Wheats and Grape Nuts, unless I can find them at Costco.

Favorites from childhood: Froot Loops, Boo Berry (seasonal), Cap'n Crunch (loved the Cinnamon Crunch when it was around), King Vitaman (essentially crown-shaped Cap'n), Apple Jacks, Sugar Pops, Sugar Smacks, Honeycomb.

Mom wouldn't let me have Lucky Charms because of the marshmallows. Candy sweet cereal, sure. Marshmallows somehow crossed the line. :unsure::huh:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries