• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite breakfast cereal

Ling

I love cereal. Favorites are Total, Heritage flakes (they stay crunchy!), Barbara's crunchy oat squares, Cheerios or the Whole Foods equivalent, Kix, Life, and any granola type cereal with nuts but no raisins. I hate dried fruit in cold cereal. I add sliced strawberries or blueberries in season or sliced banana any time. Sometimes a handful of chopped almonds.

Skim milk, or the kids' 1% if I'm out of skim.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Is there something special about McCann's oats? I buy my steel-cut oats in bullk from my dry-goods store, and while I can't recall the exact price at the moment, it's certainly not expensive.

No, I think McCann's is just an expensive import. Steel-cut is steel-cut as far as I know.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Count me as another Cinnamon Toast Crunch fan! Lucky for me I go through the craving for this in cycles...once I buy a box, I become addicted and it takes a while to get me off of it. Luckily, sticker shock of the price tag keeps this in check...I generally only buy it if I can get it on sale 2 for 5 bucks.

I also like Kashi Go Lean. I eat it with a carton of Yoplait yogurt, dump it in and mix it up. If I eat to slow it gets soggy, but it takes a pretty long time.

My favorite summertime breakfast is Cheerios, fresh blueberries and vanilla yogurt. Oh so good :wub: I cannot wait for blueberries to be available.

Growing up, we ate any cereal we wanted. I recall eating cereals such as Smurf Berries, Cabbage Patch Kids, Peanut Butter Crunch, Lucky Charms, and Trix. it still pains me to this day the way they've ruined Trix by changing the shapes from the round balls to the fruit shapes. Somewhere along the line that changed the taste and it will never ever be the same to me...

Erin

"American by birth, Irish by the grace of God"

Does Cinnamon Toast Crunch taste anything like that cinnamon Cap't Crunch cereal from the 70's? The one with Jean LaFoot? Used to love that cereal. And the vanilla one with Wilma the Whale.

Holy God, has anyone tried Breadshop's Vermont Maple Granola? I've been known to clear a box a weekend, all by itself, no milk or nothin.

Anyone tried this stuff? It has this wonderful sweet/salty composition.

On really childish days I'll go for an enormous bowl of froot loops and 2 percent... once every few years or so....

Drink maker, heart taker!

Does Cinnamon Toast Crunch taste anything like that cinnamon Cap't Crunch cereal from the 70's? The one with Jean LaFoot? Used to love that cereal. And the vanilla one with Wilma the Whale.

I can't speak to the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch compared to Cinnamon Cap'n Crunch, but boy, did you spark memories for me! I used to like both of those, in addition to traditional CC.

There must be something wrong with me that yesterday I found myself longing for a big ol' bowl of the cap'n. Really, really jonesing for it.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Grape Nuts with Maple Syrup and Milk nuked until soft/crunchy.

Cap'n Crunch

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I'm a cereal ADDICT! Love it, in all forms and flavours. I go through phases of eating boxes and boxes of a certain kind, then move onto another one.

Lately, I'm into these YogActive cereals (yogactive.com if anyone's interested), which have these yogourt drops in them, along with dried fruit. I have the cherry/almond, and the banana/chocolate ones. BOTH delicious. I've yet to try the strawberry/vanilla, but i'm sure i'll get it during my next trip to the grocery store!

Disclaimer: 1) a renunciation of any claim to or connection with; 2) disavowal; 3) a statement made to save one's own ass

• 3 months later...

Here is my latest poem, an ode to my lover, whom my daughter has cruelly forbade me.

Ode to the Cap'n

Cap'n,

O my Cap'n!

Why can you not be

Full of fiber

So as to sustain my being,

My sweet Cap'n! O my Cap'n!

4 grams is the minimum allowed

And your sweet nature

Would serve to dispense

Such measure

In pleasure

Each day.

;0(

How you've teased me with your empty sugar loving

Cap'n Crunch.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I like variety, and buy a different kind each time, but my favorite is Bite Size Shredded Wheat. Not too sweet, great mouthfeel and texture, softens in the milk without getting too soggy.

Chinese rice bowl, teaspoon, 1% or 2% milk.

Also, in the wintertime I love to cook teff grain as a hot cereal and eat it with a splash of maple syrup. Excellent! Dark brown, creamy, flavorful..try it and you may, I say.

Jennifer Brizzi

Author of "Ravenous," a food column for Ulster Publishing (Woodstock Times, Kingston Times, Dutchess Beat etc.) and the food blog "Tripe Soup"

Hmmm, this thread again.

I have recently become partial to the Pecan Splendor granola-type mixture sold in bulk at Whole Foods. It's heavy on the cinnamon! I like that in a cereal.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Sometimes you just have to go back to the basics; Corn Flakes and Grape Nuts just do the trick. Yes I know a box of Grape Nuts is enough to last the rest of your life and is a bit like eating gravel but soak it long enough in milk and it takes me back to my childhood (reveling that I am getting up there in years.) When I really want to be bad there is a new cereal out there by Reese's; :raz: it is a chocolate and peanut butter cereal made with whole grain. Yumm. Add some 2% and it is a chocolate, peanut butter, creamy goodness.

I'm a cereal ADDICT! Love it, in all forms and flavours. I go through phases of eating boxes and boxes of a certain kind, then move onto another one.

Lately, I'm into these YogActive cereals (yogactive.com if anyone's interested), which have these yogourt drops in them, along with dried fruit. I have the cherry/almond, and the banana/chocolate ones. BOTH delicious. I've yet to try the strawberry/vanilla, but i'm sure i'll get it during my next trip to the grocery store!

I think this idea is fantastic. They don't sell it in the u.s. But I went on the website and there are trans fatty acids in the cereal. Not the way I like to start my morning unfortunately.

" You soo tall, but you so skinny. I like you, you come home with me, I feed you!"- random japanese food worker.

TEAM FLAKES!

Made from 4 grains: Oats, Corn, Rice, Wheat. Hope I got that right!

They were so thick... so crunchy... so malty... It's an absolute sin that this cereal was taken out of production.

I recently found out some information on the demise of my beloved cereal:

"In 1968 the Naperville plant was opened to produce Team Flakes and 100% Bran Cereal products for Nabisco. In 1993 Philip Morris acquired the Nabisco Ready-to-Eat Cereal Division which also included the Naperville facility. In 1996 the Naperville facility succesfully started production of the Frosted Shredded Wheat line."

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

I've always like Cheerios with some dried cranberries tossed on 'em. Or Shreddies with sliced bananas. A little spin on a cereal is always nice. Cheerios also take quite well to almonds and honey.

When I first moved out from living with my parents, I dove into Lucky Charms, something I'd longed to do for my entire childhood and teenage years...

Cracklin' Oat Bran is delicious but really dense nutrition. Grape Nuts! I LOVE'em. Last night I finished off a half a box of Kashi Go Lean Crunch while playing Neopets. Yum, but wow, a LOT of calories! and that was after eating my delicious onion carrot broth!

I still miss that vanilla Cap'n Crunch....oh, gee, Cap'n Crunch, here I go again. The pizza in the oven holds no charms comparitively. Even with NJ tomatoes!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Right now I am eating a bowl of Lucky Charms! Sugared cereal is such a comfort food for me. I am pretty sure I could eat a whole box in one day, which is why I don't keep it on hand too much.

I usually have Grape Nuts, Kashi Go Lean Crunch or All bran Honey Clusters (14 g of fiber goodness!) mixed with some yogurt and berries. A fast a filling breakfast.

Cereals I haven't seen mentioned yet that I used to have a fondness for:

Basic 4

Raisin Squares (?) - it was bite sized shredded wheat with a raisin in the middle of each.

Corn Bran

Kix

Raisin Nut Bran (had almond slivers and nut-coated raisins)

Quaker Oat Squares

....and, (it was mentioned), but LIFE! Awesome cereal!

Miss Tenacity

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Safeway carries a cereal by Grain Shop called High Fibre Crisp...it's a mix of corn, wheat rice and oats. Mixed with half a banana, some blueberries and non-fat French vanilla yogurt, it is one tasty and healthy breakfast that lasts all the way to lunch. Try it...you'll like it!

I live for the moment when the Life cereal and the milk have just combined, the crunchy-cold texture is great! But it only lasts for a minute before it gets soggy...so I just alternate. mouthful of life, sip of milk. I know, I know, I'm disgusting.

There's a quick variety of McCann's. It comes in a box, and it's about $3. I also buy bulk steel cut oats, which are a bargain (you get about double to three times for the same price.) I prefer the McCann's only because you can start it, jump in the shower, and it's ready by the time you get out. The bulk stuff takes longer to cook.

Oh, and steel cut oats are my favorite breakfast cereal.