• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite breakfast cereal

Ling

But what I really want is Fruitabix - which I became seriously addicted to while in Ireland, and now cannot find in Seattle.

Is that like fruit-flavoured Weetabix?

Personally, I like my Weetabix mushed up a bit with milk and with a generous slather of maple cream (which reminds, it's maple season - time to stock up! :biggrin: )

Fruitabix is Weetabix with raisins and nuts, and maybe some sugar, if I remember correctly. It has been a few years now -- and it is so sad, that I am still searching for it.

Robin Tyler McWaters

I always loved Quisp as a kid. And Count Chocula, Boo-Berry, Cap'n Crunch (the mouth cutting variety and the peanut butter.)

Mosted Frini Wheats. Very tasty, but you've got to eat them quickly, or all the sugar melts off and you've just got all that yucky wheat. And I liked Grape Nuts, but I would put a bunch of sugar in them with the milk, and it made a bunch of sugary sludge in the bottom of the bowl.

Now I'm more likely to eat eggs for breakfast, though.

edit to fix something dumb.

Edited by TheFoodTutor (log)

I am a closeted cereal hoarder. I'm all out right now (!!! -- part of a concerted effort to eat my way through my pantry before spending more money) but my ideal lineup of cereals includes Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Blueberry Morning/Cranberry Almond whatever/Vanilla Almond Crunch/Banana Nut something (I can't remember the names for these cereals since I usually buy the Trader Joe's versions), TJ's triple berry crunch, Berry Burst cheerios (triple berry and strawberry), Honey Nut Cheerios, Raisin Bran, Cracklin' Oat Bran (like mini oatmeal cookies!)... all with nonfat milk. In a big bowl.

I am a huge sucker for dried fruit in cereal. Except when Kellogg's does it (Fruit Harvest, I think it's called). And I just discovered that TJ's has an ALL-CLUSTER version of vanilla almond crunch :wub:

I think I should try real steel-cut oats sometime. I used to like my mom's version of oatmeal (made with real oats, milk, and for some reason I recall an egg. I should ask her...) but instant oatmeal scares me.

And grits...mmmm...cheddar grits....

But on the topic of hot cereal-like foods I guess I'd have to throw in congee with pork and preserved egg (or chicken and ginger) and I think that's REALLY unrelated. Or not. :smile:

I think my cereal life has been defined by two things:

1: I've always missed the granola-ish C.W. Post, which was discontinued when I was a kid and had been my breakfast every morning until then;

2: Sugar cereals were forbidden by my mother unless we bought them with our allowance money, since in that case we were essentially having them instead of candy/soda/noisy beeping robot toys, but the exception to that exception was Boo Berry. I wasn't allowed to buy Boo Berry. It was just plain too weird. "It's blue," she pointed out, and you couldn't argue with her there.

Everything in my bowl has been a surrogate for one or the other, when you come down to it -- even Boo Berry can't take Boo Berry's place, because I'm allowed to have it now.

General Mills used to have a puffed cereal called "Triples", that was waaaay better (and less sweet) than Rice Krispies; it was a blend of rice, corn and wheat puffs (made better "rice krispy" treats, as well).  Sadly, i haven't been able to find it for years.  I think they stopped making it.

Or maybe it's just a conspiracy to keep me, personally, from eating it.

Yeah.

Mmm, I remember Triples!!! I ate boxes and boxes of it, though usually not for breakfast. Something about cereal and milk in the morning turns my stomach.

Now I'm a Clusters girl, with occaisonal Special K or Corn Flakes (must be Kellogg's--no Post Toasties and definitely no store brands)

I think I should try real steel-cut oats sometime. I used to like my mom's version of oatmeal (made with real oats, milk, and for some reason I recall an egg. I should ask her...) but instant oatmeal scares me.

Yes, do try McCann's sometime. Get the metal tin -- and swallow hard when you see the price tag. It will be worth it, trust me!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Yes, do try McCann's sometime. Get the metal tin -- and swallow hard when you see the price tag. It will be worth it, trust me!

I will! How much IS McCann's, anyways? I don't pay attention to oatmeal prices. But it sounds like a great option when the weather starts to cool down again...

A McCann's tin is about $6-7 here in DC, last I saw. I didn't buy it. Waiting for sale.

I used to be a Cracklin' Oat Bran hog until I found out there is an insane amount of fat in it. Now occasionally I will snack Cinnamon Life. No milk, though.

Although once every couple of years I get a craving for Rice Krispies in the bowl, with milk and so much sugar you can feel the grains on your tongue.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Is there something special about McCann's oats? I buy my steel-cut oats in bullk from my dry-goods store, and while I can't recall the exact price at the moment, it's certainly not expensive.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I re-discovered my love for Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I just stand there at the kitchen counter with one of those Costco-sized boxes, munching away.

i heart cinnamon toast crunch. i'm appalled it took to pg 3 before i saw anyone mention it! cinnamon toast crunch flavored milk is soooooo delicious.

I re-discovered my love for Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I just stand there at the kitchen counter with one of those Costco-sized boxes, munching away.

i heart cinnamon toast crunch. i'm appalled it took to pg 3 before i saw anyone mention it! cinnamon toast crunch flavored milk is soooooo delicious.

As much as I like sweets, I can't stand sweetened milk. I used to dump my sweet milk in my sister's bowl when she wasn't looking. Now, I just eat my cereal plain. :smile:

weetabix, which doesnt seem to exist in America, possibly only the British could love it, it has the taste and consistency of soggy cardboard, but with a spoonful of sugar, maybe some warmed milk on it and it is the best comfort food ever.

Porridge is good too, with golden syrup please.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

As much as I like sweets, I can't stand sweetened milk. I used to dump my sweet milk in my sister's bowl when she wasn't looking. Now, I just eat my cereal plain. :smile:

Wow, that's quite interesting. I'm definitely not a big sweets kind of person, but there's just something about Cinnamon Toast Crunch milk that just makes my day. Granted, I haven't had it since I was a kid, so who knows? Maybe tastes have changed.

Glad to see I was not alone with my fond memories of Quisp cereal. Another cereal I loved, that nearly no one remembers was Triple Snack. Peanuts and all! Alphabits (of the 60's) was another personal favorite. They seem way too sugary in their current form.

I see lots of comments about the Trader Joe's cereals... we keep buying them for the kids, they'll eat them once, then we end up throwing them out after they gone stale (Puffins, Gorilla Munch, Koala whatevers). They keep going back to Cheerios.

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

weetabix, which doesnt seem to exist in America, possibly only the British could love it, it has the taste and consistency of soggy cardboard, but with a spoonful of sugar, maybe some warmed milk on it and it is the best comfort food ever.

Porridge is good too, with golden syrup please.

Weetabix is available at our local Trader Joe's (Seattle) - so if you live near a Trader Joe's check it out. Unfortunately, they don't carry Fruitabix!

Robin Tyler McWaters

Cereals I love but can no longer find:

Sunflakes

Cookie Crisp - w/out the chocolate chips - vanilla flavored

Cereals I grew up on:

Rice Chex (leave it to mom to make sure I got rice 3x a day!)

Cap'n Crunch

Honey Nut Cheerios

Cheerios