• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite breakfast cereal

Ling

Favorites from childhood, because they were forbidden: Capt'n Crunch and Golden Grahams. And I always begged Mom for Cookie Crisp, and she never gave in. I've still never tried it.

Favorites now: Cascadian Farms Honey Nut O's, Puffins (the original flavor), and the most kick-a** cereal of all, Nature's Path Optimum Power Breakfast... mmm... blueberries and flax seeds... I feel so virtuous eating it, and it's tasty to boot!

I eat Cheerios almost every day.

I love Malt o Meal, but an hour later, I'm hungry.

I consider Raisin Nut Bran to be a treat, but the box sure goes fast. Must be that second bowl thing.

Whatever happened to Maypo?

Grape nuts! Grape nuts! Grape nuts!

on the hot end of things, I like steel-cut oatmeal.

Grape nuts!

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Good, Good Whole Wheat Shreddies - with milk, and sometimes banana. At least twice a week.

Corn Flakes and Cheerios are still occasional buys as well.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Another Cocoa Krispies fan, except that I usually put it at the bottom of the basket so people won't see it.

Sugar Jets.

My all-time favorite was Kellogg's Krumbles. When they stopped distributing it in Hawaii, I had my mainland relatives ship it to me until '73, when it was made no more. :sad:

Cap'n Crunch, straight out of the box.

But oh, my, does one pay for that!

Cap'n Crunch is divine. I prefer it with milk.

And what is UP with the ravaged roof-of-the-mouth after you're done with a bowl?!?!?

Remember Quisp? I think it made a short-lived comeback a few years ago. It tasted much like the Cap'n's (???) cereal, only the smaller pieces were easier on the mouth.

For me its Heartland granola when I'm feeling crunchy, and Reese's Peanutbutter Puffs when I'm feeling the need to get cracked out on sugar, that stuff is good.

Has anyone read Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson?  There's a marvelous 4 page exposition regarding the science of eating Cap'n Crunch (milk temperature, speed of eating to avoid the crunch turning to mush while avoiding roof-of-mouth damage, etc).  It has nothing whatsoever to do with the plot of the story, but I love it anyway.

YES!!! I had forgotton about that part. Brilliant. That guy is a nerd on so many levels, no wonder I love his books.

Barbara's Bakery Puffins, original variety. They are almost exactly like Quaker Crunchy Corn Bran, which I loved as a kid. I never really liked most sugary cereals, probably because my mom never, ever bought them for us - not even a stray box of Lucky Charms here and there.

Remember Quisp? I think it made a short-lived comeback a few years ago.  It tasted much like the Cap'n's (???) cereal, only the smaller pieces were easier on the mouth.

For me its Heartland granola when I'm feeling crunchy, and Reese's Peanutbutter Puffs when I'm feeling the need to get cracked out on sugar, that stuff is good.

Quisp is available regionally and can also be ordered off their website:

click here to see where it is available locally.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Has anyone read Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson?  There's a marvelous 4 page exposition regarding the science of eating Cap'n Crunch (milk temperature, speed of eating to avoid the crunch turning to mush while avoiding roof-of-mouth damage, etc).  It has nothing whatsoever to do with the plot of the story, but I love it anyway.

YES!!! I had forgotton about that part. Brilliant. That guy is a nerd on so many levels, no wonder I love his books.

Any guy that can write that much, and so well, about eating Cap'n Crunch is worth reading, in my book.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

• 2 months later...

I hardly ever eat cereal but my nostalgic favorite is Cheerios, whole milk and sliced banana with not a lot of sugar.

When I want to feel virtuous, I like Grape-Nots. We fondly call them "gum rippers."

Life comes in a distant third.

I do find myself munching on leftover Rice and Corn Cheks from the holiday snack making session.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Kashi.  They produce a few different varieties, all our delicious, and all exceptional for your heart.

Not entirely. At 90mg sodium per serving in their Heart To Heart cereal, that's too much by my way of thinking.

Kashi's ingredients seem to be very good otherwise, but I can't fathom why they need to put that much salt into the mix.

I believe the USRDA for sodium intake is about 2400mg (for healthy individuals over age 2, of course), so 90mg wouldn't even be 10% of that.

Right now we usually eat either Kashi Heart to Heart or Lean Crunch. My toddler scarfs the Heart to Heart like junk food. I also like TJ's ginger granola. But a nice bowl of slow-cooked grits beats all of these any day.

If nutrition weren't a concern, I'd be all over childhood favorites like Peanut Butter Cap'n'Crunch or Apple Jacks. It's amusing to me that my mom would buy these but not Cocoa Puffs or Fruit Loops. I'm guessing they're all pretty equivalent in the empty calorie category.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Honey Nut Cheerios of Honey Nut Corn Flakes with 1% milk in a bowl I got spefically made for things like cereal or Campbell's soup. I also like Granola with yogurt and fresh fruit

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

Good for me:

<UL>

<LI>Old Wessex 5 Grain hot cereal - I eat it for dinner some nights too. Fills me up right, esp. with cinnamon, maple syrup, dates and/or raisins. I call it Tribble Kibble because of the triticale in the blend (please refer to "Trouble w/Tribbles" - it's a Trekkie thing)

</UL>

I tell myself it's good for me:

<UL>

<LI>Blueberry Morning. Mmmmm blueberry milk...

<LI>Trader Joe's Ginger Granola. Gives ya ginger-milk goodness afterwards. Sometimes with a sprinkling of ground ginger.

<LI>Cracklin' Oat Bran. It's a brown sugar & cinnamon thing.

</UL>

Not in the least bit good for me...

<UL>

<LI>Rice Krispies TREATS cereal. As bad as it sounds. Equivalent to a Fribble & Burger combo at Friendly's :rolleyes:</UL>

Edited by laurenmilan (log)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

When I was younger:

Ricicles

Coco Pops

Start

Now.

Red Berry Special K

Weetabix

All Bran with strawberries or bananas

Porridge

I eat my cereal with the smallest spoon possible to make it last longer an at attempt to stop having the 2nd, 3rd ....etc bowl

Kashi Crunch. It's not on plan right now... sometimes I have it for a "cheat meal". How pathetic is that?

I like Weetabix, with a bit of hot water poured over it so it gets hot and mushy. I only have that at my parents' house, though, since they always have Weetabix in stock.

Right now I am stuck on some vanilla almond granola - cereal wise.

If I am shopping somewhere other than the co-op, I will always grab a bag of Cranberry Almond Crunch.

But what I really want is Fruitabix - which I became seriously addicted to while in Ireland, and now cannot find in Seattle.

All of these are served with super cold, non-fat milk from Faith Dairy - I love milk in glass bottles. It just makes me happy.

Robin Tyler McWaters

But what I really want is Fruitabix - which I became seriously addicted to while in Ireland, and now cannot find in Seattle.

Is that like fruit-flavoured Weetabix?

Personally, I like my Weetabix mushed up a bit with milk and with a generous slather of maple cream (which reminds, it's maple season - time to stock up! :biggrin: )

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I love thick-cut rolled oats with cream, brown sugar and a dollop of butter.

Granola with Greek yogurt is also a favorite.

For cold cereal, I like Kashi's Heart To Heart with whole milk and half a banana.

Thou Shalt Not Eat Food By DuPont. - Barb