• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite breakfast cereal

Ling

I've already polished off half a box of Harvest Crunch Granola today. I haven't really eaten cereal in years, but these crunchy granola clusters are hard to resist. :raz:

What's your favourite cereal, and what do you eat with it?

(Big bowl, big spoon, and 2% milk for me.)

Trader Joe's Gorilla Crunch and Koala Crisp. Very yum. Very sweet. Very kiddish. Whole milk.

And good ol' Raisin Bran.

My problem with cereal is that I can never stop at one bowl. Never.

Going for the Raisin Bran right now.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

This reminds me about the thread on the all-cereal restaurant... Cereality, I believe it's called.

We don't eat a whole ton of cereal at the Mouse House. Every once in a while, I'll buy myself a box of Crispix or Post Cranberry Almond Crunch. But what I really miss are Team Flakes. Made from rice, wheat, corn and oats, Team was one of the only cereals that would actually stay crunchy in a bowl of milk.

Sigh. Team. My kingdom for a bowl of Team. :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Trader Joe's Blueberry Muesli. Gives you a bowl of Blueberry milk when you're done. My cats yowl at full volume at my feet until they're allowed to lick the bowl. They can smell it from two floors away. :blink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

oh, boy. Breakfast cereals are a big comfort food for me. And I'm so glad to read someone else admitting to eating half a box in a day! (I've currently got a hell of a cold, and polished off a few bowls of corn flakes yesterday as I couldn't be bothered to make anything else)

My absolute faves are Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch (heaven, can't allow it in my house because. Luckily, it isn't sold over here!), and Honey Crunch Flakes.

Cheerios with sliced banana always makes me think of my grandmother, who always served them that way.

Here in Amsterdam, I have come to really enjoy one of the local store-brand crunch grandola cereals. It's amazingly good.

And on a regular basis, I eat corn flakes. Usually with some sugar. :cool:

a bowl of full fat creamy joghurt, topped with a juicy navel orange cut into small pieces, and this topped with a couple of tablespoons of crunchy granola. I like the very basic kind of granola with not too many dried fruits or nuts in it.

When I was a kid - Grape Nuts, with tons of sugar added such that the milk almost became a creamy simply syrup...

These days - Carbsense Apple Cinnamon Granola, topped with heavy cream. The taste and crunch are spot on for regular granola, it is made with lots of wholesome grains and proteins, plus has tons of fiber, and the addition of the heavy cream makes it very filling for even just the 1/2 Cup serving, all in all, a great healthy way to start your day and not leave you hungry till lunch.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I don't have just one. Each bowl of cereal has to be a blend of two, and mostly three kinds. There has to be a flake, (wheaties, raisin bran) and there has to be a crunchy square.(life, crispix). I almost always add 1 part Cheerios.

Then, a handful of extra raisins, and a sliced banana.

What can I say.

I don't eat much cereal (porridge for me :biggrin: ), but I have to say I love a big bowl of Raisin Bran with 2%. Or something I havn't had since I was a kid - Weetabix with brown sugar and milk.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

My friends tease me about this, but there's only one cereal I want in the morning as I'm sloowwly waking up: Cheerios, with 2% milk, a little sugar, and some sort of berries. Any other meal can be adventurous..........the weirder, the better. But breakfast? I don't want to think before I *have* to! (Maybe I should start drinking coffee?)

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

trader joe's ginger granola, straight out of the bag, in front of the computer at work when I don't have time to eat at home. Although I usually try to eat a different TJ's granola when I do have time at home, with yogurt and a glass of milk on the side. I used to love Honey Bunches of Oats also.

I love cereal!

my favorite, right now, anyway, are those Peanut Butter Puffins (are they Barbara's?) Anyway, I find them at Trader Joe's and the health food section of the store. They scrape the roof of my mouth kind of like Cap'n Crunch did as a kid, but they are so good. especially the way it flavors the milk at the bottom of the bowl.

Trader Joe's Banana Bread Crunch is also delicious.

Joe's O's

Because they named it after me!

(Not to mention that it's a lot freakin' cheaper than the national brand!)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Kashi.  They produce a few different varieties, all our delicious, and all exceptional for your heart.

Not entirely. At 90mg sodium per serving in their Heart To Heart cereal, that's too much by my way of thinking.

Kashi's ingredients seem to be very good otherwise, but I can't fathom why they need to put that much salt into the mix.

I switch between No-Added-Sugar Alpen, Nature's Path Ginger Zing Granola, and Familia No-Added-Sugar Muesli.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845