• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite breakfast cereal

Ling

Can't tell you what I like but do hate and will not forget Corn Flakes. So bland and the corn sticks to you teeth. This outdated product has no right to exist in today's highly demanding culinary world.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

i don't eat cereal much - because neither cereal nor milk are friends of mine - we had a falling out a few years back.

But every once in a while i invite them back for a visit...

so to start off witht he healthy-ish ones: grape-nuts, special k red berries, and crispix - cuz they're crispy times 2.

and then there's the saturday morning watching cartoons cereals: golden grahams, cap'n crunch, lucky charms, the old recipe cookie crisp. Fruity pebbles used to be good too.

Edited by tryska (log)

• 2 months later...

Revisiting this thread. Raisin Squares were a part of my childhood that I apparently forgot about until now. Mmm.

Right now the only cereal I eat on a regular basis is Special K, and only at night.

Edited by acautrell (log)

when i was pregnant corn pops all the way, all the time.

Now Jordans Organic muselis.. so much fruit and nuts, just need alittle bowl with some milk and keeps me full until lunch.

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

the Safeway near me carries a Safeway select cereal that is kind of like Raisin Bran, but way better. They have coated the bran flakes with honey to make them crunchier and replaced the raisins with dried cranberries. They also add almonds. Even better, it's almost always on sale!

1. Granola + Raisins + Fresh Fruit + Plain Yogurt = Bliss

2. The new kellog's offering - Extra ain't bad, a bit sugery

3. Vector - I don't know what it is but it's like they packed speed into this cereal, my ride to work is so much nicer with vector in my body.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Am I the only one to have noticed the new "yogurt" trend in cereals? Total, Life, and Cheerios (among others) all now have some variety of "yogurt" covered something. With Cheerios, it's yogurt-covered o's, with Total and Life, it's yogurt-covered clusters.

What's with the yogurt? Is it an attempt to get breakfasters back in the cereal aisle with the demise of Atkins? Are they trying to take what amounts to sugar-frosted bits and make them seem more adult?

The other thing I've noticed is the packaging. Yogurt's "color," as far as packaging goes, appears to be a light purplish blue.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Someone mentioned grits. If grits count as a cereal, then a bowl of cheese grits with fresh pepper and butter--maybe a dash of Tabasco--is by far my favorite. I also like cream of wheat with brown sugar and cinnamon and oatmeal with raisins.

In the cold cereal category, the best that comes to mind is The Baker's granola cereal (which is available at Whole Foods). Amazing textures and depth of flavor.

For "junk" cereals, I like frosted mini wheats.

It's just dawned on me that my tastes tend toward healthier stuff. No fruit loops for me--I get nauseated from all the sugar.

Since I last posted on this thread, I've discovered the Mainely Maple Granola made by Grandy's Oats. A little high in sodium at 109 mg, which makes it a once/twice-a-week treat for me, but a treat it is!

Needless to say, I found this up in Maine, & was pleasantly surprised to find it in bulk at my local Whole Foods here in NJ.

Watch these Grandy's guys, they could become the Ben & Jerry's of the granola world.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

When I was a kid not only were sugar cereals banned but the cereals my mom did purchase were always the generic 10 kg bag variety. I subsisted on puffed wheat, cheerio-like o's, puffed rice...and cream of wheat. I think that was authentic and not a cheap knock off :hmmm:

I vowed (often) that when I grew up I was going to live off sugar cereals :laugh:

Now that I have sort of grown up my faves are:

All Bran with non fat milk and a TBSP of dried blueberries or 1/2 a banana

Oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder or an egg white mixed in

What happened? :unsure:

My mother would surely have the last laugh if she knew :rolleyes:

This morning I tried something a little (okay, a lot) different. I added a bunch of shimeji mushrooms to the oatmeal and ate it with ponzu sauce. I loved it! It is going on the list. I would have added egg white, but I am out of eggs.

Does anyone know of a cereal called RED RIVER? I used to eat that when I stayed at my gramp's house. Red River with a huge pat of butter and brown sugar....oh it takes me back!

Edited by easternsun (log)

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

• 2 months later...

I just tried Kellogg's new Cran-Vanilla Crunch. (Beware...the site seems to be Flash-heavy so load time may be long for those using dial-up internet connection).

This cereal tastes almost exactly like Captain Crunch Crunch Berries! It has 2 grams of fiber per serving which is 2 grams more than Crunch Berries (I believe).

Where the raisins in Raisin Bran Crunch are like eating little pebbles, the "cranberry" bits in Cran-Vanilla Crunch are almost Gummi-bear-like in comparison (sticking to my teeth).

Ignore the cranberries you see in the animation on the Kellogg's web site. What's in the cereal looks almost nothing like what you see on the web site. They're more like cranberry "shreds", which makes me think they made some giant cranberry fruit roll-up and then simply shredded bits of it into the cereal. :laugh:

Still, I liked the flavor.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

cinnamon toast crunch, hands down...

Really good (sweet like a cookie) but I hate that vague "oilyness"...I guess they coat it with something to make the sugar/cinnamon stick :raz:

My fav is Cinnamon Life!

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Grape Nuts - with lots of sugar. The only problem is that you can't eat them and watch TV or listen to music because of the noise!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

I am really a fan of peanut butter bumpers. A: I like the name. B: right taste of peanuttiness and sweetness and none of that weird aftertaste, like film on the mouth of the artificial cereals. Also like puffed kamut.

" You soo tall, but you so skinny. I like you, you come home with me, I feed you!"- random japanese food worker.

Kellogg's Raisin Bran Crunch is my current favorite. I can't believe I'm virtually the first to mention it!

Growing up, I was allowed virtually no sugary cereal, so I grew fond of such things as Rice Chex, Wheat Chex, Corn Chex, Rice Krispies, Cheerios, Grape Nuts (with a little Quaker Granola as a topping), and Wheaties.

When there are no sweets in the house and I need a fix, I take whatever flakes are around, cover them in chocolate syrup (may some cinnamon if I want to do "Mexican" cold cereal) and pour on the milk. Anybody else junk up their cereal?

Drink maker, heart taker!

Not extactly out of a box...but not rocket science to make :biggrin:

On our trip last year to Australia we had the most amazing breakfast on Lord Howe Island and we now usually have it as a starter to leisurely weekend brunches.

Bircher muesli combined with fresh apple juice

slices of kiwi, mango, Granny Smith apple, pineapple, and banana

home mixed fresh passionfruit and yoghurt.

Cheers,

Stephen

Vancouver

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG